What's new

Blio Seri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

While looking for ready-to-use capkits for some of my machines I noticed several sellers advertised long life capacitors with 3000h garanteed.
I immediately thought 3000h wasn't much since a cabinet in operation BITD would reach that within less than a year and I don't think any operator ever replaced the caps every year.
Is it me misinterpreting that 3000h rating? Do the OG capacitors have actually a much longer lifetime?
OFC for HU 3000h is respectable but if I can get something better I will.

Thanks.

3000 is pretty low.
There are 2 things you should check when buying caps: the lifetime AND the temperature of said lifetime.

Digikey has a nice selector so you can choose only what you want:

( I usually go with 5000Hours @ 125C or higher if available and not overly more expensive)

digi.jpg

Last edited:
( I usually go with 5000Hours @ 125C or higher if available and not overly more expensive)
The main problem with 125C caps or higher temperature ratings is that typically affects the footprint of the capacitor, so you might not be able to fit them into areas with lots of components. 105C is generally a safe bet.

The main problem with 125C caps or higher temperature ratings is that typically affects the footprint of the capacitor, so you might not be able to fit them into areas with lots of components. 105C is generally a safe bet.

You might be right and i might be wrong and get 105!

3000h isn't low. Depends on the use case. I've seen 1000h caps on chassis that have lasted 30 years of operation.

Look up the datasheets of the cap series you're replacing and you'll have a good idea where you should put long life ones.

I have found my tribe of fellow Capacitor Fiddlers. Nothing beats the thrill of finding the perfect replacement cap - taking into account lead spacing, heat tolerance, lifecycle, height and diameter. Bliss.

Back