What's new

Gr0und_zer0

Student
Reaction score
I want to preface with the statement I agree CRTs can offer a gaming experience that can't be replicated by LCDs. That said, there are a variety of reasons one might want to retrofit a CRT with something more modern (maintenance, lack of parts, weight, etc).
For LCD monitors, the 16:9 aspect ratio was adopted fairly early in their lifecycle so few modern (low latency) 4:3 LCDs exist, and none that I was aware of larger than 20-21in. Though I have seen people mod various cabinets with 16:9 LCDs, it's usually an awkward process and less than ideal use of display space.
Every once in a while, I scour the web to see if anyone has decided to produce a 29in 4:3 LCD display, and this time I came across something that might work:
https://www.lcdhome.live/product/digital-signage-30inch-square-screen-43-display-lcd-monitor/

I'm still not completely certain the response time will be low enough but it seems worth further investigation. I'm considering ordering a sample unit from china to perform testing on latency and inerop with my OSSC. Before I go that route and drop approx $600, has anyone already tested this display themselves?

-Matt

Seems fairly interesting. 29.4" is pretty large (candy cabs are 27" viewable, and USA cabs like Dynamos are normally 25"). $600 is a pretty high price point though.

Response time refers to pixel response, and not input lag or total display delay. It's slowly changing, but manufacturers don't normally give total display lag numbers. It will probably acceptable in terms of performance, unless the unusual resolution or the baked in Android hardware causes issues.

The 45" 4:3 2160p monitor that they offer is even more interesting. The resolution is more normal, and probably would work with scalers like the RT4K

Last edited:
Seems fairly interesting. 29.4" is pretty large (candy cabs are 27" viewable, and USA cabs like Dynamos are normally 25").
Just to highlight this post, people get tripped up by this. Most candy cabs, Astro City etc, are listed as 29" monitors. That's how Japan measures them, all the way to the outside of the tube I guess. In the US we classify that as a 27" monitor, the viewable area or whatever. I don't actually know why it's done differently, that's just how it is.

But anyways, a 29" LCD is likely to not fit a candy cab and be too big.

Unico (Neo Geo Mvsx and recently Nova Blast cabinet) sells a 26 4:3 lcd screen. I think it’s your best route, right now

Oh, nice! That's even better!

I'll try asking for a quote.

I appreciate everyone’s knowledge on monitor sizing and the weird different between Japanese and US measurements. Guess that puts a halt to my initial plan but I’m stoked this led to some other ideas on the larger size displays.

@nem I saw some of the other 45” ones with actual prices listed on https://avlinklcd.en.made-in-china.com/product-list-1.html but not the 47”. Bet it’ll be around $1000

Reactions: nem
I asked for a price list for the 4:3 models. The pdf they gave me is attached to this post. It has technical specs and dimensions in addition to prices.

AVL-ID235S, 23.5", 1900x1520 - $518
AVL-ID294S, 29.4", 1900x1425 - $806
AVL-ID446S, 44.6", 2880x2160 - $999
AVL-ID466S, 46.6", 1920x1440 - $1646

The price difference between the 44.6" and the 46.6" is insane.

Attachments

• avlink_4-3_screen_price_list.pdf
    624 KB · Views: 37
Damn 700.00 for 2 inches. Wonder if there would be a price break for multiple units

Last edited:
The price difference between the 44.6" and the 46.6" is insane.
I imagine it's about what they can cut from a master sheet of glass. Once you go past a certain size you can't evenly break it down.

Back