What's new

DissentKindly

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to ask if it would be possible to introduce a supergun to an analog video switch setup without causing problems.

I have a minigun which uses the model 2 genesis scart cable + Meanwell RT-125A PSU and a Crestron CEN-RGBHV12X8 RGB Matrix Switch.
I would like to have the supergun plugged into one of the inputs so that I could switch to it.

The setup would be Minigun -> model 2 scart -> female scart to BNC -> matrix switch ->
EITHER (bnc male to male -> pvm) OR (bnc to scart -> rgb2comp -> component male to male -> consumer toshiba)

The point is, I am asking whether it would cause any trouble electronically / trouble to the equipment, as I recall reading that some scart switch (as opposed to bnc switch) manufacturers
void your warranty if you use a supergun with them, however I cannot confirm.

Thank you for your time.

Assuming the matrix switch is an Extron Crosspoint, the output csync will most likely be TTL.

In general (but please confirm with the manual for your specific monitor) PVMs can accept TTL sync, so you'd most likely be fine with the matrix output to the PVM.

For connecting to scart stuff, you want 470 ohm resistor on the sync line between the matrix and the RGB2COMP.

And if your PVM has passthrough BNC connectors (that is supergun->matrix->pvm->rgb2comp), then you'd want the 470 ohm resistor on the sync line after the matrix and either before or after the PVM, but before it gets to the RGB2COMP

Assuming the matrix switch is an Extron Crosspoint, the output csync will most likely be TTL.

In general (but please confirm with the manual for your specific monitor) PVMs can accept TTL sync, so you'd most likely be fine with the matrix output to the PVM.

For connecting to scart stuff, you want 470 ohm resistor on the sync line between the matrix and the RGB2COMP.

And if your PVM has passthrough BNC connectors (that is supergun->matrix->pvm->rgb2comp), then you'd want the 470 ohm resistor on the sync line after the matrix and either before or after the PVM, but before it gets to the RGB2COMP
It is a Crestron CEN-RGBHV12X8, but I was about to say I assume the principle is the same, as I had indeed assumed, but then I found this:
pic1.jpg

Does this mean it outputs 75 ohm and not TTL?

Tested the switch's output to crts yesterday, and in essence we have two questions:

1) Does the pvm accept TTL? Superficially, it showed an image when I last tested it with input from the switch (not tested with a supergun but with consoles, though matrix switches boost 75ohm to TTL internally anyways if I read correctly yesterday, or at least the crosspoint does) That still doesn't mean it is "fine" with TTL, though. So I am looking through the manuals and google and I can't seem to find anything like "input impedance", "sync", etc. If anyone here has a 20M2MDE or knowledge about PVMs, I'd be glad for input.

However, this is all irrelevant if the matrix switch outputs 75 ohm as per above, which leads to the second question:

2) Does the switch output TTL or 75 ohm? The switch seems to output console visuals to the PVM fine, but not to the consumer Toshiba, alternating rolling picture and no signal at all. After a lot of reading, I think the first culprit is almost definitely SCART cables being unidirectional, as in, the RGC scart to BNC cable being "scart-to-bnc" and not "bnc-to-scart". This requires either getting a specifically wired one or modifying the current cable.
The second culprit, I thought, is not having the resistor on the sync line as you noted to me, but as of now, that depends on whether it already outputs 75 ohm or not as per the manual.

tl;dr and point: Assuming all I've said is correct, if the switch outputs 75 ohm I would need only a new bnc-to-scart cable, and if it doesn't I would need the same but with a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line and a bnc-to-bnc with such resistor for switch-to-pvm as you noted.

I apologize for the length and have a good day.

The manual for the PVM-20M2MD says:
EXT SYNC IN: BNC connector (x1)
4 Vp-p ±6 dB, sync negative

As for how the Crestron treats the sync, no idea if it's outputting what it receives or if it boosts everything to TTL. Looked at the manual and couldn't tell =/

EXT SYNC IN: BNC connector (x1)
4 Vp-p ±6 dB, sync negative
I apologize but I don't have the know-how to understand whether this means "Accepts TTL" or "Doesn't accept TTL" :unsure:,
I would be glad if you could translate it for me, please?

Back