What's new

ShootTheCore

Legendary
Reaction score
Also documented with a demonstration video at https://shootthecore.tech/repair/repair-capcom-cps1/

I didn't take as many pictures of this repair as I should have - sorry about that!

In for repair was a CPS1 main board with no sound.

First, I tested the B + C board on another CPS1 main board. The sound worked fine there, so the sound issue wasn't from a bad ROM or problem with the ROM board.

Next, I probed the OpAmp and final amp with an audio probe. I wasn't able to pick up any audio with the probe, so amplification wasn't the problem.

Next, I probed the Z80 Sound CPU's lines with my oscilloscope. I confirmed that the Z80 was receiving Power, Ground, a Clock signal, and that Reset was getting triggered at power up. All of those signals checked out, but the Z80 seemed to run for a second and then halt.
IMG_7597.jpg

I probed all the Address and Data lines between the Z80 and the edge connector for the ROM board - they all checked out. I suspected that the Z80s RAM was bad - that would cause the Z80 to start program execution but then crash. I desoldered the RAM from the board, but it tested fine out of circuit in my memory tester. I installed a socket and then reinstalled the same RAM chip.
IMG_7598.jpg

Next, I desoldered the Z80 CPU itself from the board, installed a socket, and tried another Z80 CPU. That was the problem - the sound started working properly with the other Z80.
IMG_7605.jpgIMG_7606.jpg
IMG_7608.jpg

An excellent resource for starting out on any CPS1 repair is this writeup by PCBJunkie:
https://pcbjunkie.net/index.php/guides/capcom-cps-cps-1-repair-guide/

His photo of all of the chip functionality labeled is fantastic - hopefully he won't mind me sharing it here.
cps1a-ic-function-smlr.jpg

You’ll notice the silkscreen says Z80-A but the part was a regular z80. Z80 runs at 2.5mhz. Z80a is 4mhz. The clock here? 3.5mhz. They cheaped out and run it over-clocked so this is a common failure. Replace with a z80a for longevity!

You’ll notice the silkscreen says Z80-A but the part was a regular z80. Z80 runs at 2.5mhz. Z80a is 4mhz. The clock here? 3.5mhz. They cheaped out and run it over-clocked so this is a common failure. Replace with a z80a for longevity!

That's actually a Z80A. The A simply means it's tested and will run at 4MHz. The part number is Z0840004PSC that last 4 is the speed rating. You'll see some with 6 and 8 as well for 6MHz and 8MHz speed ratings.

Don't feel bad, I thought the same for a while until I looked up the data sheets. :)

That's actually a Z80A. The A simply means it's tested and will run at 4MHz. The part number is Z0840004PSC that last 4 is the speed rating. You'll see some with 6 and 8 as well for 6MHz and 8MHz speed ratings.

Don't feel bad, I thought the same for a while until I looked up the data sheets. :)

I never feel bad about learning something. Thanks! That does mean that now wonder why they fail so often then - the overclocking made for a great explanation.

Good job there!

So even after probing the Z80, the RAM was still suspected to be at fault? It goes to show...

I need to repair a board which plays sound fine on boot but plays random SFX and music. I don't have the skills to probe the board so will change the Z80 for a Z80a.

I need to repair a board which plays sound fine on boot but plays random SFX and music. I don't have the skills to probe the board so will change the Z80 for a Z80a.
Check connections between the A and B board near the Z80. If it can't connect properly to the sound ROM and the 2 SFX ROMs on the B board you'll have issues. Also check the sockets and those 3 ROMs for corrosion. Clean the legs of the ROMs if needed.

Back