What's new

hoagtech

Enlightened
Reaction score
I dusted off my XVI after a long pause and went to fire it up and got this error screen of Kanji and a hand holding a disk.

Their is a flashing green light above slot 1 disk drive.

Does anyone know what this error means and what may have caused this?

96-BB9-DEB-B24-B-424-F-8-E1-D-0-B60-D61-E2-EF3.jpg

EAB2021-D-0-CAB-45-F2-B752-5-D5-B3-FB92-B44.jpg

ディスクから記動できません。
正しいディスクをセットしてください。
TL: something something about needing to set the correct disk

Can you provide more info about your setup? Also what is "front end" in this context, a hard disk image?
List any previous modification and maintenance done on the machine. For starters, you can try holding 'CLR' while powering on the machine to clear SRAM.

ディスクから記動できません。
正しいディスクをセットしてください。
TL: something something about needing to set the correct disk

Can you provide more info about your setup? Also what is "front end" in this context, a hard disk image?
List any previous modification and maintenance done on the machine. For starters, you can try holding 'CLR' while powering on the machine to clear SRAM.
Thanks Important bets.

I have this issue crossposted on Shmups and they said something similar.

It went away when I switched the AC out switch on the back of the unit off and on. The reset and front on off switch wouldn’t make it go away.

I played a couple games of Gradius 2 90 and a few others. But then the problem came back again and was resolved again by the back switch. I'm not looking forward to getting on my hands and knees and reaching behind the unit to resolve the issue and I cant bank on this being a permanent remedy.

Pics of it working:

BC1-F648-F-2-EF3-4687-9-A05-1-AC44-D77-BB17.jpg

F18-B2-C4-E-D755-43-CA-B080-31-AC90-E2-C9-BD.jpg

C41-CA340-3519-454-A-8-D13-CCA39787-EDC2.jpg

I bought the XVI in late 2015 from a seller who had it professionally recapped in 2014 by a known repairman and shared the forum posts of his work.

It has an SD to SSCI in it and I'm guessing the front end is the hard disk image as I don't have to use any command lines and can just choose from a file directory.

Ill try that clearing SRAM.

Hopefully I can figure out how to end the reoccurring issue.

But since your here I looking to ground the system and wated to ask you a bonus question. There are 2 Field Ground terminals on the back of the X68000. If I have my ac plugged into a step down converter ungrounded. How might I go about grounding the system itself to FG? Would I plug a Cord into the wall and connect the ground to both or one of the FG terminals?

Thanks again

I haven't figured out a way to ground the system as-is since the AC cord is hardwired. Stuff like PC98 computers came with IEEC outlets, which made it easier to grab an off-the-shelf cable like these which would def help in your scenario:

1670724879096.png

As far as I'm concerned, the FG terminal was for anything else going into the 'AC100V OUT' outlet. Here's an adapter I use in the image attached below.

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_020603923.jpg
    PXL_20221211_020603923.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 81
As far as I'm concerned, the FG terminal was for anything else going into the 'AC100V OUT' outlet.

No. That makes no sense.

Japanese wall sockets have separate ground connections. You're supposed to put a separate ground wire between the wall socket and the appliance.

japanese_wall_socket.jpg

No. That makes no sense.

Japanese wall sockets have separate ground connections. You're supposed to put a separate ground wire between the wall socket and the appliance.

japanese_wall_socket.jpg
Friend, you are misunderstanding. 'AC 100V OUT' is on the X68000 itself. Please take a closer look at the where the adapter is in the picture.

Of course you can use it like that, but you need to wire it to your wall as well. Do you think a direct electrical connection to earth exists inside the X68000 by itself?

EDIT: I fixed it for you

x6800_ground_fixed.jpg

But, OP doesn't live in Japan. Most step-down transformers don't even have that ground connection screw

That japanese witing is absolutely normal and not an error, all X68000 machines behave in same way.The system is just asking to insert a disk in drive 0 (the one with blinking LED).So, insert a disk :)
If it does not boot to hard disk, probably the CMOS battery is low and you lost the settings.You should launch the 'SWITCH' command and check the boot order.

Last edited:
That japanese witing is absolutely normal and not an error, all X68000 machines behave in same way.The system is just asking to insert a disk in drive 0 (the one with blinking LED).So, insert a disk :)
If it does not boot to hard disk, probably the CMOS battery is low and you lost the settings.You should launch the 'SWITCH' command and check the boot order.
I thought the Switch command required the Human OS floppy. I do have mine fitted SD to SSCI.

There 2 FG.

Can someone confirm if this very rough paint diagram is correct. I would like to buy just a wire with a male pin for ground and tie both FG to fork terminals, Then plug the AC +- into the a Female AC plug and run the bridged FG to its own pin on the bottom ground AC plug. Does anyone know a good just male ground pin to attach to a wire to plug into the female ac socket?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I can send you a boot floppy if you need it so you can run SWITCH.X and set the correct boot order again.

My X68000 does the same thing - loses its CMOS settings if it sits for a long time. Every X68000 owner should keep a recovery boot floppy around for these circumstances.

Hi all,

Just bought a X68000 OG and looking for the master/boot disk.

I m in France so let me know if it a possible to ship here.

Thanks

Does it work?
OG x68000 are mostly dead and a pain in the ass to fix.
Can send you the disk from near the border (Saarbruecken) :)

Yes it does, at least showing the well know insert boot disk window :)

Hmh they have a bunch of other problems but maybe someone serviced it before the soup leaked inside.
Send me your adress, i ship the diskette around friday.

Where did you buy it?

Cool, i asked because there was one german seller with OG x68000 that had output problems but he sold it as fully working O___o

Back