Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Is there anyone willing to pitch in on a set of SD cards or hard drive to physically mail around? I don't have a worthwhile collection, so someone who does would need to volunteer to start it. We could get a list of interested members together and do a mail relay from one to the next.

• I picked up the SNES Classic over the weekend and added some extra stuff. I had a hard time with non SNES games initially. I didn't look into the different Hakchi versions prior to starting and had to start over with the latest CE version and got NES and Genesis working. The bad thing is that I also started messing with Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 3 and wish I had just skipped the SNES Classic. It's so much easier getting stuff to work on Retropie and you've got easier access to expanded storage …

• FYI for anyone with spare cards around, I was able to get this running on a 2GB micro SD card using the directions above.

• I was just looking at resource usage for mjpg_streamer running this way, and it's super low. The highest I saw it go was 1.3% CPU usage, with a webcam. I fully expect that this could run along side netbooting and the card reader script. I haven't yet tried running the card reader script on the RPi myself, but others have reported success. I would imagine it's not too resource intensive either.

• DIY directions: Things you need: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (that's what I'm using - could maybe be another version) Micro SD Card (not sure on minimum size - mine is 32GB and way more than enough) 5v Power Supply (I use a 2.5A Canakit one) Webcam or Pi Camera (I'm using a Logitech C615) Download a linux distro for RPi. I used this one: downloads.raspberrypi.org/rasp…raspbian_lite-2018-04-19/ Load it onto the SD card. Once it's loaded, mount the card in your computer and write a file to the root folder a…

• I've managed to get this solution down to an even simpler setup! mjpg_streamer has its own webserver and you can specify the port when running the program, so it's easy to set it up to port 80, which is what Mario Kart needs. mjpg_streamer requires that you pull it from git and compile it directly on you RPi to get it installed. One of the options you can set makes the program serve up a still if you access something like ip/cam.jpg. I figured out where this name is specified in the source code …

• I did get the Pi camera working with mjpeg-streamer, but it's definitely not as good as the webcam I'm using, and I'm back to running into frequently unusable jpegs being posted, which basically kills the framerate of the camera in-game. It's just a difference in one line of code, so I can probably put together instructions that would include either option. I'm thinking the webcam is going to be the way to go because they're easier to mount, can make use of an easy-to-acquire USB extension cable…

• Ok - I might be back to preferring a webcam over the picamera, but I will have to do more tests to see if I can get similar performance from the picamera. Using my better of 2 webcams, I made use of mjpeg-streamer to set up a live stream of the webcam, and this comes with a static capture. I then scripted something to copy this over to ip/img.jpg and the quality and refresh rate are phenomenal!

• Quote from obcd: “Maybe it's a bit logical that writing and reading a file simultanously will cause issues. A solution could be to have 2 images and present the older one over http when the newer one is written. At that moment, you can switch images and overwrite the unused one. ” I'm not sure I have much control over it. Depending on timing, the game could be accessing the image at any point it's being written. I did start writing to a temp file, and copy that over the file that is read afterwa…

• Quote from Solkan: “Can you tell me more about this ? ” The PCB is screwed into some built in stand-offs in the metal casing. The goal is to get something non-conductive that is just slightly taller than the stand-offs that, when installed under the GPU, will push the PCB up slightly, hopefully making better contact with the flaky BGA connections. Certainly putting something too tall in could cause the PCB to break or make the BGA worse. This is by no means a trusted method. I just happened to b…

• I ran some updates on my RPi in an attempt to get quicker and better low light images, and now my script that was successfully running seems to be posting unusable jpegs. I'm not sure why it changed, but it's like now when the browser or Mario kart access the image, it's often not working. My browser will complain that there's an error with the image and MK just won't show anything until it gets a valid image. If I spam the refresh button, I can sometimes get a valid image in my browser. It's as…

• JVS Emulator

winteriscoming - - Project Showcase

Quote from bobbydilley: “As another project, I'd be very up for making a custom I/O board ” I've got one called MEGA JVS that extended from the TeensyJVS source: Custom JVS I/O - MEGA JVS index.php

• JVS Emulator

winteriscoming - - Project Showcase

Will this run lag free on a stock linux distro or will it require something more customized? I'm just curious if the RPi can handle USB host to JVS translation in a lag free way with a stock os. It may well be able to. This sounds similar to @invzim 's JVS project. I wonder as a community of arcade project enthusiasts, do we support every project, even if one comes up that might overlap with the goals of another established project? Without inciting drama, it's just a debate that may be worth ha…

• Quote from freddiefiasco: “I vaguely remember playing vs 4 other people and during gameplay, whenever I was near another non AI player, their cart would show their face from the camera at their cab. I can't recall if this as GP1 or GP2. AI players would have the toons image in place of the camera. ” You're thinking it was a real-time stream of the player and not just the static image they took when they started? It's very possible, but I I'm not set up to see that in my tests, so there may be so…

• I briefly tried the stock camera board and I notice that the game during test mode refreshes pretty quickly and the camera does pretty well in low light. I can get similar speed from the picamera by running it from python, but I haven't figured out a good balance between good low light performance and speed to match the stock hardware. At worst the speed will have to be sacrificed for a better image. This wouldn't be too bad, though, since you're really only using the live feed to position yours…

• What is the point of the original board? It looks like it's just a pass-through for everything.

• I have a Chihiro with similar symptoms. I was able to add some bracers (made from some 3d printed scraps) under the GPU so that they push the PCB up slightly underneath when it is screwed down. It's not an ideal solution, but has kept this particular Chihiro stable since doing it. It's not worth it for me to send it to someone to reball.

• I briefly experimented with the Pi Camera and think I actually like it and the method for using it better. There are some commands for this camera natively in the RPI os, and it's possible to set it up for time-lapse and it ends up posting images quicker than I was getting with the USB Webcam route, though I didn't test any time-lapse functionality of the program I was using for those. One reason I like the Pi Camera better is that it's smaller and will be easier to do what I want with a 3d prin…

• Quote from Solkan: “Nice and neat job ” Big thanks to you! The java route didn't end up being the answer, but it did lead to the discovery of img.jpg, so I think it was a necessary step in this quest, and I thank you for the suggestions and help. This is one reason I like to publicly document my progress in projects like this, because there are always others out there who know more than I do and offer to help.

• I actually was able to get a game to start on the bench. Touching analog input pins with my hand apparently fluctuates them enough sometimes to register. I'm happy to report that the game boots and the camera works in game! At the moment, I've got an apache server running on an RPi and the root directory is set to a ramdisk. This means images that are being written and served at ip/img.jpg are in RAM instead of ruining an SD card with tons of writes. I put together a super simple shell script th…