Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 422.

• Model 2 /3 Security hacks

MetalliC - - Sega Model 2/3

well, it is same security chip, which was introduced back in ST-V, and was widely used in NAOMI games, pretty well researched by now, we got all the decryption keys and everything ~2 years ago (heh, I think it was me who brute forced most of keys for STV/M2/M3 games ) so, having all this knowledge and modern emulation/debugging tools is pretty easy and straightforward to make any kind of hacks...

• @muckyfingers I see. there is everything drawn as 3D polygons, also character sprites have enabled bilinear filtering during texture fetch. by definition of bilinear - there will be no filtering effect visible if source texture/sprite was drawn 1:1 or was scaled up by integer number (2x, 3x etc). but if scaling was fractional - you'll get resulting image filtered/smoothed-looking. with no bilinear you'll get fractional scaled sprites look "distorted" because of nearest point sampling. funny part…

• Quote from muckyfingers: “I was curious if anyone poking around inside KOF XI or NGBC saw any way to disable the smoothing filter put on the characters? ” but why ? with no bilinear texture sampling there will be ugly point sampling artifacts, caused by non-integer sprite/texture scaling, to make them look correct size in AW display resolution. proper solution was to redraw character sprites in higher resolution, but SNK was not cared to do that.

• Quote from Mitsurugi-w: “Hopefully someone will be able to fix the CF boot version at some point. ” sorry, no clear ideas why this happen. probably another "DMA clash case", which is still mystery and happen only in case of games converted from carts , but unknown why it doesn't happen for GD games.

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “the Sensors on the sides of the cab are identical to the sensors in the IR guns. ” good to know, thanks. wondering why Sega did it in different way for home and arcade markets. Quote from twistedsymphony: “I'd love to see the interface board. It maybe the same gun sense board too but with different rom? ” I'd like to see it too, but sadly there is no public available service manual for this game...

• from Dreamcast docs: Quote: “ Ultrasound is used to detect the positions of the left and right maracas. The coordinates of the maracas are determined by measuring the travel time of the ultrasonic waves. The lower portion of each maraca contains an ultrasonic emitter, and ultrasonic sensors are located at the left and right ends of the base unit set up on the floor. The position of each of the maracas is determined by measuring the time that it takes an ultrasonic wave that is produced by the em…

• to really play this game you'll need special maracas board and controllers, which is almost impossible to find. predicting next question - no, NAOMI version doesn't support Dreamcast maracas device. iirc game itself will boot with any JVS I/O, I think it was designed for Type-1 board, it uses 8x analog inputs - 2x for each maracas X and Y positions. you may try to play it using 2x analog joysticks or light guns, but it will be like 50 shades of grey

• @pzlate not a huge surprise for the record - most of cartridge games for NAOMI is protected, using game specific encryption-compression chips. obviously, original games will not work if was programmed to some another rom board, or game will work with "funny" effects like slowing down within time, or have drunk camera, etc. depends on each game protection implementation. so, you have to use game binaries where cracked protection, for some strange reason people call these cracks "converted for net…

• perhaps CT doesnt like Capcom IO ?

• Quote from Malenko: “Having never played an actual Naomi Lightgun game I was never there to pull the trigger and see if the screen flashed =) ” screen flashing was needed for cheapest stone age lightguns only, like NES one. the later CRT light guns doesn't need any flashing, they are is sensitive enough to detect running CRT beam, then latch current screen X/Y position, for example like mentioned Atomiswave gun (technically same as Dreamcast gun).

• Quote from jassin000: “So he must have found a way to write the carts contents with the Naomi itself ” the fact this type carts can be reprogramed using Naomi itself was known since ~7 years ago. it is almost always a matter of if there is any person motivated to create something, in this case write flash programming tool for Naomi / SH4.

• if Sammy's pachislot machines - I will be not surprised if this cart was Sega/Sammy inhouse conversion.

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “it wasn't converted because it used such a rare/unique IO setup so it was assumed no one would be able to play it. ” you get it right Quote from winteriscoming: “I have low motivation and time to work on this at the moment. ” same here... so "moveon people, there is nothing to look at"

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “I was asking about Ninja Assault Specifically not the JVS spec since they might use a smaller range or maybe do something weird to extend the range. ” tbh, I have no idea how much actual bits JYU IO provides.

• ughh, you can't read docs yourself ? web.archive.org/web/2012041823…u/siryou02/JVST_VER3R.pdf its in Japanese, but google translates tech texts very well. "screen input" command 0x25 have 2x 16bit results. actually, "analog input" command have 16bit result too, but in old Rev1.1 Sega boards used only upper 8bits

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “the hardest part is figuring out how the touch inputs are reported over JVS. ” thats easiest part, all commands pretty well explained in official JVS document, including "screen input" one. also, this game pretty well works on Demul, this means all the needs of this game was researched and emulated, by me. so, I can provide all necessary info.

• many options possible in theory, but "bridge device" doesn't looks easiest solution.

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “Are you working more on de-compiling/emulating the billboard units? I would be interested to know more about how the internal code is structured ” no, it came not from disassembly. but iirc there is usual switch/case-like code for different incoming commands. don't know about flashing timings.

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “Thanks but, it's a little late to the game. I figured this out over a year ago. ” cool. I missed message with command/protocol table.

• got some bits of info about Versus City billboard protocol. summary it is: 00 - 7F - Normal mode, various characters display, bit 6 - player side, bit 5 - digit #, bits 0-4 - character code (1F = all segs off) 80 - 8F - Dot control, bits 0-3 controls each of 4x dots, 0 - On, 1 - Off 90 - 9F - Winner Lamp control, bit 3 - player side, bits 0-2 light type: 0 - On, 1 - slow blinking, 2 - medium blinking, 3 - fast blinking, 4 - 2x blinks, 5 - 3x blinks, 6 - 4x blinks, 7 - Off A0 - AF - Advertise mod…