Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 462.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “He also said that he repairs about 2 GigaWing2 carts a month and it's almost always one of the buffer ICs ” wondering what makes GigaWing2 so special, there is more than 20 games which uses same ROM board type, 14 of them is protected.

• Gaelco ATV Track

MetalliC - - General Arcade Tech Help

Quote from obcd: “Is the mame implementation of this hardware mature enough to study the flashing routines in an attempt to understand communication during the proces? ” NAND write/program is implemented, as it required to run one of dumps which have recoverable errors. but 2x PCB link/comm. not imlemented in both MAME and Demul. congrats with good WC result btw

• Gaelco ATV Track

Quote from obcd: “I probably was that belgian guy. I even made some pictures and sent them over. ” nice to meet you again Quote from obcd: “Indeed the filter board was different on the football game. I think I tried if I could get it into flashing ready mode and it didn't work. Maybe it was because the football filter board used a different input for it's service button? ” exactly. that's why in previous message I've said you have to replace filter board. IPL and flashing mode loader located in …

• Gaelco ATV Track

Quote from obcd: “Gaelco had another football simulator game that used (nearly) identical hardware. As that's a standalone cabinet, it isn't having the option to be reflashed. ” right, main PCB is the same, but different filter? board where IO connectors and few ICs. I think you may reflash Football main PCB to ATV track via link (if replace football filter board with the one from ATV). if I not mistaken, client-side flasher is in initial boot loader, which is inside FPGA firmware, which is the …

• Gaelco ATV Track

Quote from brizzo: “The nand memory manager (this is typically software, like part of an operating system), by specification should mark blocks as bad if too many errors are detected, and re-locate the data from one block to another block. ” about right, but after such recovery there is almost none matching with original blocks, that's why I've said it does full reprogram. (and that's why MAME have 2 sets /dumps of this game, where actual file data exact the same, but dumps totally different if …

• Quote from obcd: “I wanted to use demul once to replace original gaelco hardware on an ATV track. If I would have had the sources, I would have tried to improve communication between 2 systems. The original hardware keeps freezing and resetting after a while. Last fix was reflashing the unit. It's now stable again, I just don't know for how long. The emulator sources are also helpfull to understand how the real hardware works. Many people study mame code to understand hardware. You even can simu…

• Quote from Finisterre: “so you don't think they are in use? or if they are it was not intentional. ” I'd guess they was in use during game development, when game was running on development Naomi board / unit, which had usual DB9 serial port connector, and may be easily connected to PC terminal. so, all its not really interesting or important if we talking about retail NAOMI 1 mobos, which have no RS232 wired to filter board connectors. and again, why you are interested ? I know why and what for …

• Quote from Finisterre: “the question is where is the intended destination of the printed messages? I would expect this UART you are poking at, wouldn't you? ” game -> development ROM board (with SCSI and UART) -> dev. PC -> debugger / monitor software normally there used SCSI during development, however as you noticed some games contain SCIF comm texts, I'd guess leftover of some SDK library functions. Quote from Finisterre: “"Nindows" (and Gindows) is a Sega debugger that can be enabled in vari…

• Quote from lukemorse1: “Just out of curiosity do you know what parts of the game are/would be affected by not having the VCC pin connected? ” I don't know, did only brief look in debugger but didn't deep analyze game code disassembly. in few words - this decryption chip may be used in 2 ways - directly read and decrypt data from ROM board (but only from small part of it - first 32MByte), or upload encrypted data into on-cart 64kbyte RAM and decrypt them from there. as you may imagine, lifting up…

• @lukemorse1 I've checked it in emulator (disabled decryption from on-cart RAM) and got same result - Gigawing2 is working. but there is number of components on ROM board, which should be alive to get security / decryption functioning. ultimate solution will be IC22 replacement, 4Mbyte ROM instead of original 2Mbyte, where will be cracked game binaries in 1st half and decrypted data chunks in 2nd half.

• @lukemorse1 interesting. in this game most of data decrypted directly from ROMs, but few data chunks uses oncart RAM (game upload data there and then read them through security chip), no idea why it still works, perhaps these data not important. @twistedsymphony all symptoms says there is smth wrong with security part, you may try to disable RAM ICs as was suggested, but there is nothing can be done if 317-5064 itself has been died.

• Quote from lukemorse1: “Then I lifted pins 28 on both of the IDT 71v256s (they are just lifted off the board) and it fired right up. Try that and see if it works ” does game itself works after this ? pin 28 is VCC, so you are disabled these RAM ICs, which is protection decryption chip RAM.

• Model 2 /3 Security hacks

MetalliC - - Sega Model 2/3

Quote from stj: “it wasnt the encryption i was thinking about, it was the possibility of replacing the romboard with a scsi device of some type. ” answer still the same - why not look at emulators source code ? Quote from stj: “the ponit is, if the game is using scsi to get data ” they don't Quote from stj: “it may be relativly easy to create a virtual drive with ram - like a naomi dimm unit. ” NAOMI cartridges and DIMM board works exact same in term of data transfer. most types of carts uses ~6…

• Model 2 /3 Security hacks

MetalliC - - Sega Model 2/3

why not look at MAME or Supermodel3 source code ? at this point both emulate Model3 security decryption chip. i.e. people already RE'd / hacked how it works, a long ago...

• Quote from Finisterre: “Now the real question is why it has magical voodoo powers to fix my Black Screen on demand ” probably because AW games was not happy with SRAM contents. normally, NAOMI BIOS clear SRAM and EEPROM user area if game was changed (BIOS compare game ID in ROM header with stored in EEPROM last game ID). but all AW->N conversions have same ID (ABC0), so auto-clear not happen.

• huge research! but I prefer to google game name instead - there said "Guilty Gear X" (ggx_v2p.bin) is a native NAOMI game, not AW->N port.

• Taito Vewlix JVS IO

MetalliC - - Project Showcase

Quote from Niko: “Well in the case of the K91X1097C I/O, either Taito fucked up ” I'd say 2x times - as you may notice, last function record is not full 4 bytes as per specs but single 0. this may lead to errors if software calculate total records number as length/4 (in integers)

• Taito Vewlix JVS IO

Quote from Niko: “11bits per player suggests it only supports 5buttons. Has anyone verified the I/O does actually support 6 buttons? ” yes it was tested, all 6 buttons works just fine. Quote from Niko: “If it does support 6 buttons, I wonder if the Naomi is incorrectly interpreting the feature check response from the I/O. We need to log it... It could be that the command version or jvs revision has been updated since the end of the Naomi. ” highly unlikely, in newer JVS standard revisions "funct…

• Taito Vewlix JVS IO

ouch then, I missed that part.

• Taito Vewlix JVS IO

Quote from brizzo: “How badly do people want or need this to be fixed? ” this is a main question. afaik @cpsystem3 have such IO, and may be have needed equipment to dump and reprogram it. I can handle firmware fixing part, it is usual H8 code so nothing unexpected in there. so, it is mainly the question if it really needed. besides Programmer Mode there is also interesting looking "Boot Loader Mode", while in it MCU receive some code via SCI, put it in RAM and run.