Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 129.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VR SuperGun

Zebra - - Project Showcase

I could see some value in using the concept for all the arcade PCBs that have never been emulated or not emulated well. Groovymame is great for all the finished emulation - i.e. Games that work and don't give you that "this game has issues" warning. But... there is a lost generation that probably won't work well while we're still alive thanks to the mame teams refusal to make use of GPUs even on games with 3d graphics. Namco 246, Konami viper and a whole bunch of others that were never even port…

• I've figured out the problem I think. Apparently the micro-USB cable they send with it is not a data cable. It's only for "charging" even though there is no battery to be charged, so it's completely useless. The idea that they would deliberately ship it with a cable that does not work without even including a little note to explain this fills my heart with thoughts of murder. Anyway, I'll have another go to see if I can get these guns working as a mouse to make them a little more useful on a PC.

• I'm not sure how to tell if it's an authentic Arduino. Is says Arduino Leonardo on it but the $10 watches they sell in Bangkok markets say Rolex on them but that doesn't make them genuine... It didn't come with any special driver instructions or any instructions of any kind. From a quick Google search, it sounds like it's a common problem but no obvious solution besides dropping the Arduino in the trash.

• I did set it to Leonardo. The problem is that it can't seem to communicate with it. It's not visible to either Windows or the IDE software. A Leonardo can definitely function as a mouse as it's used for most of the Youtube demos. According to the little I read on Arduino forums, I am meant to be able to see the device in the Windows control panel / device manager but it's not in the list. Is there something I am meant to do to make it useable beside installing the IDE Arduino software and connec…

• The only thing it says on my board is Arduino Leonardo. I'm not sure what Due or Zero means in this context or how to answer the question. This is what I did so far: I downloaded and installed the app, opened it, selected Arduino Leonardo, then I selected ATmega or something like that from another drop-down menu because it was written in tiny letters on one of the chips on the PCB. I didn't recognize any of the other options but I also tried "Arduino ISP" and any other that mentioned Arduino. No…

• Quote from bobbydilley: “Yeah I totally get that - really makes you realise how useful being able to program is, if you ever get the time I'd deffinately reccomend learning! I can see that the Samco gun code I sent you is messy and incomplete, so I've made a version for you that'll hopefully do what your wanting and commented on it, its available here: github.com/bobbydilley/ArduinoAnalogueMouse You need to plug your guns into A0 and A1 and then a trigger into digital pin 5. This will only work …

• Check out this patent info for the use of very similar technology for use with some kind of more precise touchscreen / X Y positioning pointing system. patentswarm.com/patents/US7705835B2 It's very poorly written and not an easy read, plus it flip flops between different methods which are not all relevant to this but... where it is relevant, it has both methodology and pseudo code describing how it works. It's actually fairly simple once you get through the appalling writing and unnecessary use …

• Quote from bobbydilley: “I understand that - what I mean is why is 2 points of reference at the extremes suitable for the Y but not for the X when the width of the screen isn’t a factor of 5 bigger than the height. I’d understand 3 or maybe 4 LEDs but 5 seems a lot. They took away 2 LEDs from the Height perspective from jpark to hotd, I wonder why they didn’t also remove an LED from the width perspective as the half height gap they’ve just removed is far larger than say removing 1 LED from the w…

• Maybe it's just my devious mind and general lack of faith in human character (or talent) but often, when someone won't tell you how something works, it's because they are worried or ashamed by how simple and easy it is to copy VS how much they are charging and how little original work is involved. We know the basic tech is already public domain stuff. If the set-up really relied on software code so complex it was beyond even Sega's capabilities to do themselves (or reverse engineer), that softwa…

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “I have many times before. most recently in my write up here: solid-orange.com/1611 which is linked on the first page of this thread and on at least 3 other posts @rtw has recently done some testing using a scope to look at the data on the various pins. LED chain is confirmed to be a simple addressable set of LEDs it's basically just got a flip-flop to turn them on one at a time from a simple pluse signal. more research needs to be done on the actual data coming off o…

• The sensor in the gun is flat photo diode. These are generic and just have to match (ir sensitivity and voltage response) to the led intensity and required voltage output. on their own, they provide two bits of info. Is there light opposite? And how much? The info is expressed as voltage. It's incredibly simple. After researching similar tech I am fairly confident that it is a modified variant of an IR gesture sensor. This tech has been written up and explained extensively in docs like this: osa…

• I've been doing a little testing (aka playing) recently to try and figure out how Sega IR guns work (I can't live with not knowing). A guy on the other forum claimed they determine coordinates by calculating the angles between the IR LEDs (and the gun). I think that would be impossible with type 2 hardware unless I missed something key? What do you guys think? And, has the gun sense IC ever been dumped so we could see the code? I don't know anything for sure yet but you can aim at any given poin…

• I guess it's only really an issue for the force feedback. Other analog and digital controls are easy to connect to a PC using Apacs and UHIDs etc. Some of the guys on the arcade controls forum are into driving original ffb controllers via mame hooker but it sounds like they need programming skills for a lot of what they do. I'm personally OK with using a decent Logitech ffb race wheel. I don't find a need for overly strong motors on a steering wheel. Most real cars use power steering and you'd a…

• I often feel like that but then I usually change mt mind once I see the price of recent PC based arcades. Home arcades is just not a good hobby for people without enough time to spend on it. In my experience, nothing is ever quick or easy. The time needed seems to go up exponentially when I use real hardware. You have to really love the project as much as the games.

• It's possible if the PC fit inside. Teknoparrot has outputs hooked for force feedback but using it with the original FFB motor and motor controller might require some extra time, skill and know-how. With PC based arcades like Ringedge, I'm not sure if you can just connect the original JVS I/O controller and ffb board to a regular PC directly for use in Teknoparrot. Maybe someone here would be kind enough to try it for you. If not, you can use the original cab wheel and pedals etc with electronic…

• Quote from twistedsymphony: “Honestly learning to code for something like Arduino is very easy. it's far less complex than trying to write a program for a computer. and honestly it's a good universal language that gives a good foundation for other platforms. Here's a good tutorial for people who don't know anything about code at all: programmingelectronics.com/tut…-ide-and-sketch-overview/ The best way to learn things like this is to have a project in mind and start by learning what you need to …

• Quote from bobbydilley: “@Zebra The code should work on a Leonardo as well! You’ll have to try it and tell me how it goes as I haven’t actually tested it out. The reason it only works on some Arduinos is because the processor needs to support a special ability that allows it to pretend to be a USB peripheral. Only some of the processors in the Arduinos support this. ” OK good. That means it should work as the Leonardo was what they used to demonstrate the Arduino analog joystick mouse on YouTube…

• I really want to learn to program at some point. I have so many ideas and things I want to do. It's frustrating to know something is possible and probably easy but out of my reach. It's worse because I'm a light gun fanatic. If you want to use your fav racing wheel or flight stick or fight stick on a certain console, there is always tons of off-the shelf options and adapters. But... If you want to use your Guncon 3 on a PC, or in my case, use my Sega Type 2 arcade guns on a PS3, PS2 or Dreamcast…

• It's normally quite hard to find low cost used arcade hardware that's recent enough to still be in circulation on what's left of the arcade scene. It's probably best to wait for it to be on Teknoparrot or, as someone else suggested, get the console version. It's very noble not wanting to break the law but given a choice between paying $18,000 for a Mario Kart DX cab or free Teknoparrot, there is no choice to make... The days of arcade versions looking better than the home versions are long gone …

• Quote from bobbydilley: “github.com/samuelballantyne/IR…ter/Samco_IR_Light_Gun_M0 This project does absolute mouse movements if you still need that. Always seems strange to me people pay lots of money for these APAC things, when you could get a $2 arduino to do the same thing - but I suppose not everyone knows how to program or wants to make that sort of effort! ” That's basically it. Arduinos are not user friendly or convenient and it's a level of excess hassle that a lot of working people don'…