What's new

nonosto

Champion
Reaction score
Hello

I already asked this question somewhere but I dont find the topic. I would like to change music from SFZ3 and MVSSF to SFZ2 or XmenvsSF. I wouls like do it with uncrypted rom for play with multi darksoft CPS2 & mame ro for emulator. How to do that please?

THX

well, i've booted games with the wrong graphics roms and it just looks like a glitchy mess. what happens when you boot with the wrong sound roms? All of the audio and graphics are stored unencrypted for all games. Only the program code roms are encrypted.

How to do that please?
there is audio CPU ROM(s) which contains music/sound player code and sequenced tunes, and Qsound samples ROMs.
you'll be needed to somehow "merge" these ROMs from 2 games - inject/replace sequenced tunes, add required samples to sample roms, correct samples offsets, etc. which is far not trivial task, and you'll probably will not be able to do this, if you asking such questions.

I think it's like on DC or Saturn jus change and rename file.

Im talking now by memory but I would start by entering test mode and play a specific tune. Then with mame check what data is being read (beginning, end, etc.) And then replace that specific tune.

@Darksoft yes, but there is possible problem - does both game's players uses same tune format ?
also, for sure new tunes will require new sound samples, which produce more problems - how to add them to samples ROMs, and - how to inject these new sample's offsets into audio CPU ROM(s) ? (also probably will be needed to correct sound samples indices in injected tunes).

anyway, it looks like above @nonosto's capabilities.

I did the music code part years ago it's not simple. I can tell there is atleast 3 versions of the music engine. Early stuff and Mid stuff is pretty similar and can be copy and pasted. Late era like Alpha 3 few of the commands got changed like Tempo command so you would need to rework some of it.

Here is Excitebike as character select with data in the description.

And here is an incomplete port of claw's SSF2 theme into Alpha 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPDhmVdyTG4

And both of these I didn't add/change the samples on the sound roms.

Back