What's new
Thanks again for a great project! I bought from @acblunden2's digikey list, so that all worked fine. I just booted up Espgaluda. Only thing that was confusing was I tried the mame program rom in P1 first. Then switched to the one in the PGM Program Files link and it booted right up.

Looking forward to the next batch!
Glad it all worked out. I was worried about the Digikey cart since their site was doing weird things. How did the aluminum electrolytic caps work out? I selected low profile ones in hopes they would need to be folded over to fit inside the case.

I'm having some trouble running this script.
I've updated to Python 3
I believe that I have the correct rom sets in the same directory as the script however after running the shown commands I'm not seeing any output text from the script indicating that it is writing any new files.

Any glaring issues?

Thanks much

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.7 KB · Views: 260
The code looks relative to the current directory. So "CD /D D:\bootlegging\PGM\rom_gen" first.

That was it, thanks again :D
EDIT: 2 of my 3 rom files were incorrect too, this had nothing to do with me running the script improperly though.

Last edited:
sockets and soldering done on first set !

IMG_0409.jpg

one note: the switch, which is supposed to go to JP1 if I read correctly, does not fit there... guess I'll do without on the first set. If someone has it and is kind enough to share how he/she did it, I would be gratefull.
IMG_0406.jpg

Jumpers:
Good ol' pot of computer screws to the rescue ;)
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg

Thanks fluffy!
on to the software while I wait for the 27C322 to get here in a couple of days.

Last edited:
From memory... as inserting into the pgm, the gfx board will be the bottom board and have the roms facing down, and the program board will be on top, roms facing up.

one note: the switch, which is supposed to go to JP1 if I read correctly, does not fit there... guess I'll do without on the first set. If someone has it and is kind enough to share how he/she did it, I would be gratefull.
It goes to JP2, to switch low and high bank for Ketsui. You basically mount the switch somewhere convenient on the case, then connect a cable from the jumper to the switch.

Basically the idea is that you can open and close that jumper when the cartridge is closed.

Someone on the PGM conversion thread had a good picture how he installed the switch so the cartridge still fits into a box. Apparently there is a bit of space next to the connector that would be enough for the switch, and you just need to make a hole into the spacer thingy. Unfortunately the last time I looked I couldn't find it again... :(

Reference pictures:
If you look into the cartridge slot, there is no component to either side of the connector sticking out:
IMG_20190824_210817.jpg

So you should be able to install the switch somewhere around here:
IMG_20190824_211129.jpg

Ultimately it is up to you, how and where you want to install it.

Edit: I found a link!
Any PGM Conversion info out there?

Oh and "Make sure you double check the orientation of PCBs before switching on power on the motherboard! Connecting them the wrong way will cause a short circuit that can damage your motherboard and cartridge." can somebody also tell me how they should go?! I have no idea ?(
Setup:
The prog board is the upper board, and the components need to face up. The char board is the lower board, and components need to face down. Make sure you have a non conducting spacer between the boards to prevent short circuits.
Double check against an original cartridge before switching on.
Or check the picture:
PGM single game PCB assembly and troubleshooting

I've got exactly the same box, with exactly the same contents.

Last edited:

and in the thread of that picture, I see my CQ-4x4 doesn't burn GALs. Super. Guess I'll add a TL866II to my tool box ...

or this?!

Last edited:
Double check that you can run the software for the atf blaster and you have a supported parallel port.

Is there a rom pack for all the different versions/flavors of the compatible games? I actually prefer not to use the switch do do bank switching and just have dedicated carts.

The pgm program files zip contains all that are known.
The only game where this is really required right now is ketsui. You've got three choices:
- burn two copies of ketsui trap, populate the jumper on one cartridge only
- patch the pal on one cartridge to always select the second bank
- patch the ROM to contain the trap version in the first bank

I am not sure if it is worth burning both ddp3 black label and ddp3 dual, I would just make the dual version.

There is only one espgaluda version known at the moment.

Had the chance to assemble a set of these this afternoon. Everything seems to be working great for Ketsui except any voices and some effects for audio are either garbled or missing, like when you select a character or collect a power up.

- Components used are from the linked Mouser cart, thanks for putting that together acblunden2
- I have not yet pulled, my M1 or U8-10 to verify their contents/functionality, I plan on doing this tomorrow since I did not use sockets on these
- I fired up the same ROMs that I used to program the 27c322s in MAME and they seem to work fine there

-I am using the default u5 and u6 PALs
-all jumpers are open, closing them did not have and positive effect
-I was unable to locate any shorts on the CHAR board either visually or with a meter
-the voltage on my PGM is a little high ~5.5 volts, I'm going to drop that a bit tomorrow and see if that helps

I think that there was something mentioned about version 1 boards and some rewiring on U10? This does not apply to CHAR 1.2 or PROG 1.1a does it?

I'm hoping that I'm missing something silly here any suggestions?

@snakeGrave

5.5, is a lot high. Like damage things high... Assuming you haven't already dealt damage, put it back down to something like 5.0-5.05 and try again.

I think that there was something mentioned about version 1 boards and some rewiring on U10? This does not apply to CHAR 1.2 or PROG 1.1a does it?
No, the problem from the version 1 char board is fixed in all later versions.
The PAL and Jumpers don't change anything for the char board.

Do you still have music? If only some samples are missing it could be one of the address lines, or a dodgy EPROM.

Voltage was dropped to 5 volts, then I pulled M1.

After pulling M1 I did the following
-tested the cart with no M1: no sound at all... duh
-read and verified the programmed M1 rom with my existing M1 bin file. It checked out fine according to my programmer
-then programmed another 27c322 and popped that in: the same audio symptoms are occurring, good music but strange sound effects

Fluffy the music is all good the sound effects seem off and voices are certainly wonky.

I'm going to pull the LS74257 chips next, I do not have the option to check the chips with my reader/writer (GQ-4X) but I'm going to maybe switch theer positions and see what happens.

I'm going to pull the LS74257 chips next, I do not have the option to check the chips with my reader/writer (GQ-4X) but I'm going to maybe switch theer positions and see what happens.
Interesting... the 74ls257 convert the 16 bit value from the EPROM into 2 8-bit values, so I expect any error there to result in either noisy or no audio at all...
My money is on the address decoder.

Back