What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
I put this on KLOV as well, but figured the hive mind here might be able to help :)

I've been sitting and starting at an M2 pcb a friend sent to me. Purchased on YAJ, but came in with the third sub pcb (RTC board) missing.

W/O the board, games will not boot. Even spoofing the disc code to match the 7K chip, without the confirmation from the RTC that data matches, you get "hardware error"

I stripped out the rtc.driver file from the code on the disc, but that still fails hardware checks. Obviously the real time clock "handshake" is coming from the BIOS.

(By strip out I mean I A) tried to obscure file references and when that failed B) 00 00’d out the entire area in hex where the RTC.driver file resided)

I swapped bios chips on the board and booted Total Vice, so I know the board is working, and could be converted to a first revision bios board and be able to boot Polystars and Total Vice fine, but the person who owns the board wanted a Battle Tryst board.

My first instinct was to recreate the third pcb. Only a dozen traces, a cap, few resistors and a few chips. Problem is 1 of the 2 chips is a standard chip but has some Konami silk on it, and I know it holds custom code. Not desoldering and trying to dump this off my only OG Tryst board.

I've checked the bios and I see references to rtc.driver, so my thought is to obscure this data from the BIOS, burn, and test.

Any thoughts on this method? First time working on a project like this. Ordered a 27C160 adapter for my 40 pin burner to test.

Target end result is Dual bios, switchable via switch, with the rev 2 bios having the real time clock check stripped out, so it will just confirm the 7K rom data against the Hex edited cd-r and boot into the software.

You know...real easy! lololol

Any thoughts would be helpful. Not sure if this has been done on any other Konami boards with a RTC chip, but I know Konami LOVED to use them so maybe someone else has figured it out!

Luckily testing through MAME is a pretty rapid solution to prototyping a new bios. Unfortunately it tells me more when I broke things and caused a hardware failure than a success! So much of the code is obfuscated. I need to try to decompile things in a PowerPC decompiler to see if I can identify more of the underlying code.

In the meantime it's running a "hello world" esque splash screen lol

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 173
Sometimes I'm jealous about how much you enjoy the M2. I wish I enjoyed a single aspect of this hobby as much as you do that hardware.

We all have to have hobbies I guess Lolol

I just love obscure and unloved hardware. I spend an equal amount of time on the Hyper Neo Geo 64. Total glutton for punishment!

Ugh I need to delete the second accidental user name I made...so annoying

shoot brizzo a note, he can probably merge them

Back