What's new
Do you think it's possible to manage two I / O boards to play 4 players or do some versus?

It's already very impressive, well done to you

@stickcross That should be not problem. Get 2 RS485 to USB converters, and plug them both in, then run the software twice using the different converters. It would require some changes to force it to use different converters + make sure there aren't any duplicate IDs but in theroy wouldn't be that hard to do. If you ever wanna try it send me a pm

@chunksin Ah I see your edit. Thanks, have had a long day so the numbers are all going a bit over my head. I'll add that to the development version and push it to master! Thanks for your help. BTW I sent you a PM, not sure if you're able to get it on here or if you haven't been a member for long enough?

Just in case it helps anyone, here is a link to the RS485 adaptor I used with my Pi: eBay Link

You just need a regular USB A-B cable as you would use with a printer, cut off the type A end (regular USB) leaving the type B (square connector) that plugs into the IO board, strip the wires and connect as follows:

Green -> A
White -> B
Red -> 5v
Black -> ground (either is fine)

@stickcross That should be not problem. Get 2 RS485 to USB converters, and plug them both in, then run the software twice using the different converters. It would require some changes to force it to use different converters + make sure there aren't any duplicate IDs but in theroy wouldn't be that hard to do. If you ever wanna try it send me a pm
Thank you for your answer, I did not think about this configuration.
Normally in JVS you can connect 2 I / O board or more together (Node 0 and 1 ect ..)

This allows to play in versus or 4 players such as Powerstone.

I'm not sure your code detects I / O board chaining?

This will make it possible to go from an original system to your solution easily without having to redo the wiring.

@stickcross Unforunately the chaining of I/Os requires extra hardware to drive the sync line, and can't be done with an off the shelf RS485 converter so won't be supported in JVSCore for the foreseeable future. Sorry bud.

I do not understand why it takes more material, all this management on the same line apparently

My friend "CitrikElektrik" wrote the Node detection operation:

"During initialization, the system sends 2 reset signals on the bus for the I / O to reset. He then sends a command to give an address to the first node, the one at the end of the chain. All I / O boards are connected to the tail leuleu, the last knows that the command is for it because it does not detect presence on the input of the line sense. It responds to the system that it acknowledges and cuts its output sense.
The system then returns the same command and the next I / O no longer detecting the sense of the last knows that the command is for it and acknowledges receipt."

Do you think this is possible just with a single USB / RS485 converter?

That you are a single I / O or more, initialization is the same no?

@stickcross Sorry it took a while to reply, I still don’t believe it’s possible. In your friends explanation he talks about the ‘line sense’. This is an extra physical wire that is used along with the gnd, data+ and data- wires from normal RS485. We have no way to read this sense line, so we wouldn’t know when the last IO has finished sending data. With only 1 IO you can just assume once you’ve got some data that’s all you’ll get, with more IOs you absolutely need a way to read the sense line.

Finally got around to playing with this (don't like to rush things!). I've not tried this in a cab but have hooked up to a Club Kart dashboard outside of the cab.

I get the following and don't get much further:

Code:
JVSCore Device Driver Version 1.3.1
Device Connected: SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.;I/O BD JVS;837-13551 ;Ver1.00;98/10
  Players: 2
  Switches: 13
  Coins: 2
  Analogue Inputs: 8 channels, 8 bits
  General Purpose Outputs: 6
Failed to initalise inputs

Other than the 5k pot from the wheel, I've not got anything else hooked up. However, given buttons are normally open contacts I can't see how it would read a button anyway? Any ideas what might be up?

@corn Hello mate - 'Failed to initalise inputs' means it's not being able to create the virtual input device on your Linux machine, but it has read the IO perfectly fine.

Are you running as root with `sudo`? The program needs to run as root to be able to create the virtual input device.

@bobbydilley would it be a huge hassle to port the driver to be windows compatible ? As it seems, for best compatibility for MAME, Windows XP X64 is recommended.

Thanks in advance
Goku

@bobbydilley would it be a huge hassle to port the driver to be windows compatible ? As it seems, for best compatibility for MAME, Windows XP X64 is recommended.

Thanks in advance
Goku
Hey - it wouldn't be difficult, but would just take some time as you'd have to change the way the inputs are handeled (windows has no virtual input libraries, and you'd have to use some third party library for it).

Unforunately I won't have time to do it at the moment, but feel free to have a go yourself!

damn, i didnt even know this existed!
this could be perfect for testing jvs boards.
does it support writing to the output ports used for stuff like hoppers and solid-state relays??

Hey - it wouldn't be difficult, but would just take some time as you'd have to change the way the inputs are handeled (windows has no virtual input libraries, and you'd have to use some third party library for it).

Unforunately I won't have time to do it at the moment, but feel free to have a go yourself!
I don't have the programming skills to do this.
Arghhh and Linux is driving me nuts.
Trying to find existing Code/ Programms but for rs485 there is nothing to find.

rs485 is a hardware protocol, you just treat it as asyncronous serial - like rs232

rs485 is a hardware protocol, you just treat it as asyncronous serial - like rs232
Yeah i know. Unfortunately i still dont have any clue about programming. But @bobbydilley your programm on Linux works very good and it is exactly what i was looking for, but for windows :(

I keep getting this timeout error how do I fix this?

image.jpg

Back