What's new

BlinG

Grand Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to start with bad graphics on a b-board? Below are pictures of what's happening:

ZfWzbSe.jpg

VKt5eu7.jpg

It's not the A-Board because I tried another B-Board and it had no issues. If it comes down to a bad custom...is it even worth my time trying to fix it?

Looks like sprites. I don’t see which roms are sprites vs background in mame but the ones in question are 13-20. Do you have a programmer? You could check them all.

If that doesn’t work, i.e. they all pass, you can at least figure out which rom’s data is being corrupted somewhere by pulling them one at a time and starting up the board. When those corrupt sprites are missing, that’s a good rom to start with. Sprite data might be interleaved across 2 chips, I can’t recall...

Anyway you can also do it in mame. unpack the mame rom zip, rename a few of the files, and rezip it and run it from command line to force it to run. Process of elimination you’ll find which rom holds those sprite data.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...f0e21e011366a/src/mame/drivers/cps2.cpp#L8930

^ this. Mask ROMs are your first thing to check, worth noting though that your title screen has OF ATOM OF *garbage* ATOM

It's doubling the second set of data, so it could be an address custom issue (CGA) but I'd be heading to the mask ROMs first. Custom faults on CPS2 aren't common outside of battery damage

I mean all the pins. Go for it.
I do not have the equipment to properly test each and every individual pin on this board, nor do I have the motivation to do so on such a low end cps2 game. I was sort of just hoping it was a straight forward fix, but it's not looking like that....
^ this. Mask ROMs are your first thing to check, worth noting though that your title screen has OF ATOM OF *garbage* ATOM

It's doubling the second set of data, so it could be an address custom issue (CGA) but I'd be heading to the mask ROMs first. Custom faults on CPS2 aren't common outside of battery damage
I pulled each mask rom out individually and got the same results with the garbage title screen and garbage sprites. I am thinking its beyond a rom issue unfortunately.

You could reflow the CGA (Character Generator Address) and CGD (Character Generator Data) customs and see if that helps

This has happened to a couple of my cps2 boards. If someone finds a fix please report it on this post.

I do fix a lot of this problems every week. But you need the right equipment and patience.

Anyway you can also do it in mame. unpack the mame rom zip, rename a few of the files, and rezip it and run it from command line to force it to run. Process of elimination you’ll find which rom holds those sprite data.
You don't have to rezip the files. Just unpack to a folder of the same name (game.zip to \game\) and delete or rename the zip.

Back