Smurph's project thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Smurph's project thread

Figure I should start dumping things here instead of spamming up the "Post your recent buys" thread.

Popped open the control panels on my VOOT 5.66 cab for a mixed bag of surprises.

Regreased the sticks and replaced the grips on the original sticks on the RNA side.
      Need to mold a new bottom plate for the right stick though, the hot glue irks me.

Also, it looks like Yaton threw a NOS maple PCB in there, or it was replaced/repaired/cleaned very recently.
      What work was done to this, was done well. I'm still going to see if I can find some original sticks to replace the DNA side though.

Rest of the images are here:
      imgur.com/a/gm5tfXf

The post was edited 3 times, last by Smurph ().

• it looks like you've got middle revision sticks (square section of the shaft around the bolt holes.
      early revision sticks have no square section, and late revision sticks are square the entire length.

grips for the early revision sticks used the same mold as the Saturn and Dreamcast sticks so they should be interchangeable.

I'm not sure about the middle revision sticks, I'd definitely check the shape of the cavety around the bolt holes inside the grip to see if it actually accommodates the square section of the shaft.

I do know that the late revision grips used a different mold as they also changed the trigger button mechanism.

plastic quality was a bit cheaper on the home consoles and of course Dreamcast sticks are light gray and orange.
      Saturn grips will be closer in color to the arcade, a bit darker than the originals but overall better than the Dreamcast.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

it looks like you've got middle revision sticks (square section of the shaft around the bolt holes.
      early revision sticks have no square section, and late revision sticks are square the entire length.

grips for the early revision sticks used the same mold as the Saturn and Dreamcast sticks so they should be interchangeable.

I'm not sure about the middle revision sticks, I'd definitely check the shape of the cavety around the bolt holes inside the grip to see if it actually accommodates the square section of the shaft.

I do know that the late revision grips used a different mold as they also changed the trigger button mechanism.

plastic quality was a bit cheaper on the home consoles and of course Dreamcast sticks are light gray and orange.
      Saturn grips will be closer in color to the arcade, a bit darker than the originals but overall better than the Dreamcast.
      It looks like the middle revision sticks are compatible as well, as I pulled the grips and button mechanisms off the set of DC sticks I've had kicking around (viewable in the link).

As far as I can tell, mold and plastic composition is identical (visual inspection, sounds exactly the same when I flick it, and my frequency sensitivity tops out at about 23KHz) between the DC and middle revision arcade grips.

I may grab a couple sets of Saturn sticks for spares. The grips looked identical on the outside but I wasn't sure about inside.

Thank you so much for the info!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Smurph: grammar ().