What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
So I’m converting console wheel and pedals for my Hyper Neo Geo driving games.

I picked up a cheap Interact V3 PS1 pedal and wheel set (so cheap. Ten bucks) and the pedals both use pots, but the wheel is an optical encoder. Def need a pot based wheel and I assumed something that old would hopefully go with potentiometers vs optical but I was wrong.

Luckily pedals work great, but steering is kind of an important component haha

Does anyone know of any wheels that use pots? I just need four buttons (view A and B, and shift up and down) and a wheel to wire into my I/O board

Just trying NOT to collect a stack of wheels I have no use for when I open them to check and find optical pickups lol

Of course I bought the one cheap wheel with an optical encoder lol

Interfacing is pretty easy. First I just cut the console connector off and strip the rubber back so I have all the wires. From there I'll just take the wheel apart and probe for continuity until I have the pot leads (unless they are perfectly color coded)

From there I just crimp on the JST connector pins for the I/O board and plug in. The data line / ground / 5V leads are all that is needed. Ill steal some buttons from the wheel for shift up/down and view buttons so minus the pedals the game can be controller / coined up / started from the wheel itself.

To make it easy to handle I'll put a DB9 female/male connector into the mix. Since the pedals and wheel inputs all go to the same connector on the I/O board, I'll use the DB9 ports as a quick disconnect.

So itll be pedals into JST connector, with wires coming out for the correct steering wheel leads. They will go into a DB9 connector (either sex) and ill pin match the alternate sexed DB9 connector from the wheel leads. That way I don't have to store the wheel and pedal set as one giant wired up mess!

I did the same thing with Beast Busters Second Nightmare. Flight stick X/Y pots to the I/O board so I could use the X/Y coordinate data to fill in for the large cabinet mounted guns.

Nice, I thought given how the data was send serially? to the psone this wouldn't be possible, very interesting. I want to hack up something to play the racing games on Naomi 2.

Back