What's new
Depends on how much of an arcade-snob you are.
proper answer :D

I would say I'm more of a aspiring snob and too afraid of my boards to use them. I play on 360 and a 65 inch TATE with 14ms of lag. Because it's easier. :sleeping:

I guess I should have asked how different dose it look from PCBs? What are the differences in the fidelity and quality of the image?

Aside from the obvious game play differences between the xbox 360 vs PCB.

I was thinking about getting a 8way jamma switch for CAVE boards and not have to walk around the house to switch games. But a 360/JAMMAizer can do everything on one jamma slot and i'm ok with lighting a 360 on fire before damaging a PCB.

CAVE PCBs belong in cardboard boxes, and nowhere near a cab ;)
That's like owning a super nice car and never driving it.

What's the point?

Life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

Put that Cave board in your cab and play some games!

:D

I guess my sarcasm doesn't translate over the Internetz well.

All of my PCBs (Cave and otherwise) are in constant rotation and they all make their way through the cabs and get play... I don't see the point otherwise!

Depends on how much of an arcade-snob you are.
proper answer :D
I would say I'm more of a aspiring snob and too afraid of my boards to use them. I play on 360 and a 65 inch TATE with 14ms of lag. Because it's easier. :sleeping:

I guess I should have asked how different dose it look from PCBs? What are the differences in the fidelity and quality of the image?

Aside from the obvious game play differences between the xbox 360 vs PCB.

I was thinking about getting a 8way jamma switch for CAVE boards and not have to walk around the house to switch games. But a 360/JAMMAizer can do everything on one jamma slot and i'm ok with lighting a 360 on fire before damaging a PCB.
With the qualifier of in-game differences not weighing in on this discussion, I can say you will be perfectly happy running Cave games through an X360 and the JAMMAizer to your CRT based cab.

The reason I say this is because, and don't take this the wrong way, your statement saying you are an aspiring arcade snob is a dead give-away. That you are fine playing on an OLED with 14ms frame delay through HDMI tells me you can stomach the horizonal upgrade of moving your X360 from your OLED TV, to a real CRT cab where the playing experience is different. There is just something about the glow of phosphors radiating on an arcade player's face that makes the difference; it's hypnotic. I think you are happy to own those PCB's. But I think you just like playing those games more, regardless of the platform and viewing device you do so with.

Check out the screengrabs @djsheep posted from the PS2 earlier in this thread. Check the Gradius V screens. That's 480i. And that is what you'll see running an X360 at 480i with the JAMMAizer. You can always sell it if you don't dig it.

The only hurdle should you choose to go with the JAMMAizer is getting the proper MC PCB to control the X360. Your only choice now is the Brook Universal Fighting board which is expensive (but since you own Cave boards, you won't even feel it). Or you can try to pick up the older PS360+ in the aftermarket somewhere. Someone posted earlier in this thread they have stacks of them.

As for getting rid of your Cave PCB's, I predict that would only happen if you were stuck in divorce proceedings. Likely, they'll be buried with you.

That's what I meant, does it look acceptable in 480i? Never tried it personally as I don't have the SCART cable for it.

I don't have the SCART cable for it either so I couldn't say personally, but others say it is decent. You won't get scanlines like you would with a 240p source.

I have the official 360 SCART cable and 480i is decent looking but there's lots of shimmering and jaggies which are real noticable and give me a headache after a short time.

240p looks a hell of a lot better and once you see it, you won't want to go back. Get a Ultracade UVC for that, you can also play at 24k resolution with some cabs.

Some are going to be more sensitive to 480i than others. I've personally played hundreds of hours of Gradius V & R-Type Final @480i on my NNC and never had a problem with it. It looks spectacular to me.

For X360, there is only one SCART cable available for it that I am aware of and it is the OEM Microsoft cable. One would want the OEM cable instead of an aftermarket product anyway. It just happens to be the least expensive of all console SCART cables. Can be had for $11 bucks or so off Amazon. So it is a small investment if you want to see if 480i works for you or not with JAMMAizer.

If it doesn't, UVC is an option. But tends to be expensive.

There are tonnes of aftermarket SCART cables for Xbox 360, and some very good copycat ones that look almost identical to the OEM product, you have to be careful, but they are cheap to get!

I guess my sarcasm doesn't translate over the Internetz well.
I got that it was humor. But there is no "lol button". So I had to settle with the like button. :D

@acblunden2 Thanks for the thoughtful response.
With the qualifier of in-game differences not weighing in on this discussion, I can say you will be perfectly happy running Cave games through an X360 and the JAMMAizer to your CRT based cab.

The reason I say this is because, and don't take this the wrong way, your statement saying you are an aspiring arcade snob is a dead give-away. That you are fine playing on an OLED with 14ms frame delay through HDMI tells me you can stomach the horizonal upgrade of moving your X360 from your OLED TV, to a real CRT cab where the playing experience is different.
Maybe I missed the hype cycle on this project? But i don't see why people are not jumping up and down with excitement about the 360 being a great multi-board option with the jammaizer. If the only difference at 240/15 is some small color or bloom discrepancies, only noticeable in a side by side comparison. Then the Jammaizer is one extremely beneficial project.

The 360 (and even the wii) are great EMU devices. GBA on a cab is a pretty cool idea. CPS2 games are EMU'ed fairly well. Your Konami beat'em ups are there. Not everyone has to own every piece of OG hardware. I've grown past the idea of gate keeping with OG hardware. As long a it doesn't show up in the WTF cab thread, I'm ok with it. Like i said before, You can light a xbox on fire and not feel bad about it.

Here is how I play shooters now. ^^
BFOvIP0.jpg

It is hard for me to argue with a comfortable recliner and giant bullets. My cousins young kid saw this a few months ago and ask me, "Where did you get the giant iphone?" =O

I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm ok with being bad a shooters. I'm not going to be getting any world records or even a 1cc any time soon. Most games I wipe at lv4,5 mid-boss. Under Defeat I may be able to 1cc if i put another 30 hours in it.

I really enjoy the meditative game play of shooters. I may practice a level for a few hours or so. Watch a super play and try to copy the run. Or just credit feed and zone out. The practice and desire to get better is the fun part. Like someone who practices sport ball.

@djsheep OR its like starting to dj on Technics and not being good, until you have done it long enough to where you are always on point and it feels good.

Being bad and getting better is fun.

As for getting rid of your Cave PCB's, I predict that would only happen if you were stuck in divorce proceedings. Likely, they'll be buried with you.
this project has put me in a bit of a existential crisis. :/

lol, maybe. I always thought people bought non-registered assets to hide money in a divorce, not sell things? Friend of mine used to own a comic store. He had customers of 20 years come in and ask him to under value their collection because of divorce. Or a new random guy would come in wanting to buy 100k in comics Because he was getting a divorce.

I bought the majority of my games before the speculation, organized shilling, and pumping started. Arcade collecting for me was about the fun. It was the destination. Not some man-boy in cargo shorts stand in commodities market for projecting mechanics of speculative short term investing. The arcade market was never a end-user consumer market. There are plenty of man-boy things designed for secondary speculative markets one can play in that wont damage the exchange. Speculative purchases of arcade stuff is a self fulfilling prophecy. It's enviable that you will price yourself out of the market and lock up the exchange.

I was buying full kits for nothing compared to today. Now it's just stupid. I feel like I have burdened my self with a financial responsibility I never wanted in the first place. My PCBs are just closeted and i'm afraid of them. If i'm going to shelf collect there are other thing I can do that with to show my personal appreciation for it.

Arguing against market bs doesn't help. I was reading a Harvard/MIT study on internet market manipulation that found arguing against artificial inflation or market manipulation actually validates the increased ask. So I might as well give up and go cry in a corner.

I thought about getting 2x 8way jamma switch and just install all my boards at once. I could get two cabs with 8ways jamma for all my vert shooters and have the space for 2 xbox. But I was reading an old forum post of someone saying that jamma switches could short a CAVE Pcb? So, I don't know what to think about that.

IF a 8way jamma switch adds risk of damage. that would just be adding risk on top of market volatility. Seem like a bad decision?

https://riddledtv.com/arcade/jamma_switchers.html

The Jammarizer + Jamma switch sound like a really cool set up. You could put all the home console outside the cab and space for PCB inside. Save space in the home and dont need as many cabs.

This project is F*ing Amazing! the applications are so under appreciated.

Last edited:
But i don't see why people are not jumping up and down with excitement about the 360 being a great multi-board option with the jammaizer.
This project is F*ing Amazing! the applications are so under appreciated.
For reals. The whole concept of console-to-arcade-cab is ridiculed by some. I think they miss the point.
  • Soul Calibur was one of my fave arcade games in the early 2000's
    • The best version of that game is on the Dreamcast
    • Now I can play it on a cab where it belongs
  • Gradius V and R-Type Final are the penultimate games from the series that started in arcades
    • Now I can play them both on cabs
  • Einhander is clearly an arcade inspired title but born on a console
    • Now I can play it on a cab
  • Cave games are fun as heck
    • But I entered the hobby far too late to afford them now
    • Now I can play official ports on a cab
We all know video games started in arcades. But we also know that they've evolved to consoles. There are a ton of arcade-style/inspired games I have yet to discover on consoles. When I do, I'll be able to play them on a cab. JAMMAizer definitely has me excited.

Would be nice to get some exact dimensions to print a plexi case for the unit... @Arthrimus would you be able to provide this?

• Einhander is clearly an arcade inspired title but born on a console
    • Now I can play it on a cab
Right on man, so many games are still stuck on a single console. How Square enix hasnt ported this over to digital storefront somewhere is beyond me. One of my favorite shooters of all time.

As much as I love Einhander, I find it difficult to be comfortable on arcade controls. There are a lot of buttons needed, and a generic fighting game button layout doesn’t lend itself well to this game.

Back