What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Project Goals:
A few years ago I bought one of my all time favorite arcade games, Dance Dance Revolution. It's a traditional 2-player "SD" Japanese cab (Commonly referred to as an "Extreme cab"). I believe it had originally shipped as a 5th Mix in Japan. but was converted to a bootleg copy of Extreme.

The cab needed a lot of work but I got it for cheap money so I didn't mind fixing it up... $600 and a month of work later I had a machine that looked and played like new. But I wanted to load new songs on the game, play the entire DDR song catalog and more. The Ultimate goal is to have a DDR machine that looks and plays like the original arcade version but is capable of offering thousands of songs to choose from and allows me to easily add or remove songs as I like.

From what I understand there's no way to do this with the original System 573 hardware (maybe there is some solution on SOWS but I'm not privy to it) Many people like to run Open In the Groove (the software that runs the dance machines of the same name) which is based on StepMania and is an open source knock-off of Dance Dance Revolution.

I found someone who calls themselves Beware who had made a complete "Simulation" of DDR Extreme using the StepMania v3.9 Source Code. It's a nearly perfect recreation of DDR Extreme. The benefit of course is that it also supports the ability to load up any StepMania or Open ITG songs.

You can get Beware's Extreme here: http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/thread?threadid=5076
Zenius-i-vanisher (or ZIV) also hosts a pretty comprehensive database of song files that you can use: http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/simfiles.php?category=simfiles

For User Files I highly recommend checking out the "SpeirMix" collections, they're very well done and similar quality to the originally Konami tracks. Most user created track files only included very high difficulty versions and are missing the light/standard level variants, so be wary of that if you're new to this :)

10817582_309444975930267_2135987868_n.jpg

^astute DDR players will notice that is the Extreme song selection interface but that's (and a few others) are not tracks available on Extreme :)

This gets me most of the way there, the game on-screen looks like the real Arcade DDR, it plays like the real Arcade DDR, and I can manage my own custom song lists. but there's one problem and that's the arcade cabinet lights.

A Background on the problem with Light Output and SM:
Beware's Extreme, being based on SM 3.9 has one significant problem: SM 3.9 has a lot of problems with light output.
SM 3.9 only support light output via the parallel ports, more-over the address for the parallel ports is hard-coded such that only PCs with a built in parallel port will work (since expansion boards use a different address), then there's the problem that there are so many lights that you need 2 parallel ports to support them all. It's hard enough finding a motherboard with 1 parallel port these days, never mind a mobo with two of them. And if that wasn't enough a final kick in the nuts is that the light output code is disabled in the windows compile to avoid a licensing issue that came up with the parallel port library used. (the Linux driver has all the same issues but at least it's enabled).

There is an alternate compile of SM3.9 called SM3.9+ Redux that re-enables light output and fixes a few other minor issues. SM4.x and 5.x also re-enable light output. But Beware's extreme is based on the original official SM 3.9 code. Open In the Groove (which I believe is based on SM4.x) added several new light drivers, the parallel drivers are still crappy but they're enabled, it also added support for the ITGIO board used in the ITG arcade machines as well as support for the Ultimac PAC-Drive...

The System 573 uses a JAMMA harness, the audio skips the JAMMA harness and is instead output via un-amplified Stereo RCA jacks where it goes to a separate amplifier box that provides cross-over and amplification functions. There are also 4 additional connectors for lights, these connectors also provide some kind of serial data connection to the dance pads that is really only used in the service menu to troubleshoot sensor problems.

3424774558_9a011bc396.jpg

^not mine but this is what the DDR System 573 looks like, the JAMMA connector is under the CD drive.
the 4 connectors at the top right are for, Player 1 Pad Lights and Serial Data, Player 2 Pad Lights and Serial Data, Marquee Spots Lights and Control Panel Lights, and Bass Lights respectively.

To hook a PC up you can use a JAMMA harness and a stereo patch cable, the serial data connection to the pads isn't supported by any PC program that I know of (if you know different please tell me) so that gets ignored... but then that leaves the lights.

Parallel ports can be used but then you need to hook them up to mosfets or transistor in order to drive the lights in the cab. Even if you use a PAC-Drive on Open ITG you'll blow out the PAC Drive trying to drive the cabinet lights so you need something in-between.

The ITG IO board could be used but they're expensive, hard to find, and only supported by ITG builds of the software.

The best solution is actually a board called a MiniMaid, this was a custom built board by someone on SOWS that provided a plug-and-play solution to hooking a PC up in place of a System 573. It provided the JAMMA edge connector as well as the 4 light ports with all the supporting hardware necessary. It worked with openITG and they provided patched SM .exe files that included the necessary drivers for light output with the board... information on this board can be found here: http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/thread?threadid=6298

There are a few problems with this, the MiniMaid was $320 before they discontinued production which was high enough but now that you can't get them new anymore, people who have them are unwilling to sell or are able to fetch prices in the $600 range to people who want them. For my personal build another problem is that it can never work with Beware's extreme because it doesn't have the patch to support the board and I've been unsuccessful in finding anyone who is willing or able to provide the uncompilable patch code so Beware's extreme can be patched (if anyone can make this happen, please get a hold of me).

My Solution to Light Output:
I like the MiniMaid solution because it's a single piece of hardware that everything just connects to and works, but the cost and availability and lack of integration with Beware's Extreme put it out of the running. The next best choice is the J-PAC A lot of the hardcore Rhythm game players hate on anything that's not MiniMaid but I've read a fair share of lag tests on the J-PAC and I have a hard time believing that anything else out there can top it, especially other systems that use the same communication protocols and similar chipsets since the only thing contributing to the in imperceivable lag in the current generation of J-PACs is the PC itself, not the J-PAC.

For light output with a J-PAC the most obvious option is the PAC-Drive made by Ultimarc, it's as ubiquitous as the J-PAC, it's well supported and in current production and it only costs $30, not to mention it's already supported by ITG so I'd only have to build drivers that work in StepMania.

Once the Software is done I'll have to build a transistor board that adapts the PAC drive to the light harness in the cab.

Last edited:
Improving the Parallel Port Drivers:
I decided that my first step to getting my feet wet with the StepMania code would be to just FIX the crappy parallel port drivers to make them useful. I found an replacement open source parallel port library and I created my own DLL that replaces the original DLL and ignores the hard-coded parallel port address in lieu of a text file where you can specify whatever ports you want to use.

The one Caveat is that this wont work on the Vanilla SM3.9 because they explicitly disabled light output in Windows, and by extension the normal compile of Beware wont work either. but this can be dropped in place of any other SM/ITG build to allow you to configure the parallel port output. I had this working with SM 3.9 Plus Redux and OpenITG Beta 2 in Windows XP with a Rosewill RC-304 PCI based dual parallel port card in a PC with no parallel ports, I was even able to use it on a different PC with 1 port and was able to use one port from the PC and the other one the card without any problems. I don't know if it would work with USB based parallel port adapters, it might work with some but it's untested as of right now (please share your results, good or bad if you do test it)

You can download this, as well as instructions on how to use it here: http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/...dsymphonys_stepmania_parallel_port_io_dll.zip

Adding PAC-Drive Support To StepMania 3.x:
Now that I was familiar with the StepMania code and light drivers I went to a add PAC drive support. My first plan was to borrow code from ITG since support was already there, but it seemed as though they completely re-write the light code for SM4.x and ITG so even though I had access to the source it was worthless unless I wanted to completely GUT all of the light code in SM3.9... as a result I ended up writing from scratch but I worked out much easier that way anyway.

The only way to use this is to download the source code for SM 3.9 (Beware's SM3.9 source is also available) download my files add/overwrite the source files I specify in the text document and then recompile... This is not easy because SM3.9 uses VB6 and you need to use an extremely old WinXP only version of Visual Studio and various old SDKs... It took me longer to get the unmodified code to compile than it did to write and debug my PacDrive driver X/ Even after all that there were some weird behaviors introduced because I was trying to force it to compile on a slightly newer Visual Studio version. I ended up just giving my patch to Beware and he was kind enough to recompile his R3 version with my PacDrive patch (this also includes re-enabling of Parallel Port light output).

My updated source code files for SM3.9/Bewares Extreme can be downloaded here: http://web-nine.com/files/twistedsymphonys_sm_3.9_lights_package.zip

The Light output patched version of Beware's Extreme can be downloaded here: http://akane.bircd.org/stepmania-pacdrive-parallel-exe.zip

I should note that I only got this working in Windows, Though Beware mentioned he'd get it working for Linux in his next release.

Remaining problems with light output:
Beware is obviously aware of my work, and he has my patch, I'm hoping he includes it in his next official release (if and when he has one). There is one "difference" between light output in Beware's extreme and a real DDR machine and that is during attract mode. In a System 573 DDR Extreme during attract mode the lights stay off, and there is one sequence during the game play demo where they turn on and off only twice very slowly and then go back to being off for the next minute or two until the attract mode loops around again. In SM3.9/Beware's extreme they flash off and on CONSTANTLY during attract mode, which is rather annoying. I've made Beware aware of this issue and I even shot and given him a recording of several loops of the attract mode lights on my cab with the System 573 as a reference.

I believe there might also be some very minor differences in the light output during song selection/menu navigation but nothing that stands out. Light output during game play though seems to be a perfect match. (I sent beware video of menu navigation and game play light effects on the System 573 as well).

I didn't really have the time or ambition to dig through Beware's code to try to fix the Attract Mode lighting myself, I'm not too keen on modifying other people's projects unless my help was requested, most of what I did with the PAC Drive and Parallel port support was adding to, not changing.

Developing an Interface board:
I had pac drive light output working with LEDs and I had built a prototype of the interface board but something went wrong I blew out the Pac Drive.... Since then I ordered 2 more Pac Drives for testing but haven't really picked up the project again since. I did do some research into what the System 573 uses for a circuit design on the light output as well as what the MiniMaid uses.

Technically the lights in a DDR Cab should only have to produce simple logic level switching.
The Spot lights on the Marquee and control panel lights are incandescent but they're driven through a light board inside the Amp Box, the
neon lights in the sub-woofers are driven by their own ballast with a logic level trigger. and the pad lights are driven by the PAD IO boards and their own little ballast boards.

Theoretically I shouldn't need anything between the PAC-Drive and the light harness but after I blew out the first PAC-Drive I did some metering and was getting some really weird readings like the common ground lead on the 573 light connectors reading a -30V difference to the cabinet ground.... I don't know if this is weird behavior in my cab only or something was disconnected leading to wild floating voltage swings or what. I decided I should at very least put some kind of protection between the light harness and Pac Drive and emulate the interface used in the System 573 itself if possible.

This was a while ago so I'll have to find my notes for the exact chips used but IIRC the System 573 used Opto-Isolators as well as filters on each of the pins The filters are discontinued and I couldn't seem to find a similar speced replacement. IIRC the MiniMaid doesn't use any filters (though it might use resistors) and made use of NOT gates to do the switching.

I haven't worked on this project in months, blowing out the PacDrive really put a damper on my progress but that's where I'm at. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or ideas from anyone about improvements that could be made or ideas on interfacing the Pac Drive with the Light Harness.

Last edited:
There are plans to do a new run of MiniMaids. You can find info on this facebook group (just ask to join):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/487629124643497/
Direct link to post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/487629124643497/permalink/882852508454488/

As for a light enabled version of Beware's Extreme... that exists. I'll see if I can track it down for you.
I'm a member of that group and I'm aware that someone is trying to re-start production of MiniMaids... the $320 price tag is still too high IMO and it's still incompatible with Beware.

I'm also aware of the light enabled version of Beware because I'm the one who made it... that's what I'm talking about above.

Most of this work was done about a year and a half ago, I'm just re-posting it all here.

A-ha! I knew your name looked familiar. You're the one who got me that Beware light fix to begin with. :)

Last edited:
A-ha! I knew your name looked familiar. You're the one who got me that Beware light fix to begin with. :)
:thumbup:

yeah I've posted bits and pieces of my work on this all over the place but I figured this forum would be a good opportunity to put the whole story in one place. And Maybe encourage me to revisit the hardware side.

MiniMaids are great and it would be great if they do another production run or two but my ultimate goal is to come up with a solution that will be easy and cheap to get a hold of.

If you figure you can buy a J-PAC and PAC Drive for about $100, if I can develop an interface board for $20-$30 without using any hard to find parts we could potentially end up with a plug and play MiniMaid alternative that costs 1/3 the price and comes with support.

Have you ever fiddled with trying to run a 573 and MiniMaid/JPac at the same time via a 2in1 Jamma Switcher? In a home set-up, that's a great idea, but you can't get lights on both of them at the same time.

There was talk at one point of a Light Switcher board being developed for such a purpose, but it got put on hold when it wouldn't act right with Open In The Groove.

Saved image I have of the prototype:
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/time_trapper/misc/lightswitcher_zpsd6050734.jpg

Have you ever fiddled with trying to run a 573 and MiniMaid/JPac at the same time via a 2in1 Jamma Switcher? In a home set-up, that's a great idea, but you can't get lights on both of them at the same time.

There was talk at one point of a Light Switcher board being developed for such a purpose, but it got put on hold when it wouldn't act right with Open In The Groove.

Saved image I have of the prototype:
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/time_trapper/misc/lightswitcher_zpsd6050734.jpg
I haven't tried working with a switcher that but I don't think a light merger board would be all the difficult to make work...

Assuming that the outputs were all logic level like they're supposed to be there's no reason you could just use diodes like they do with the kick-harness switcher adapters..

if it requires more than that a few logic gates would do the trick... It's unclear what they were trying to do in the board you linked to (thanks for the pic by the way) but it looks like they were just running most of the wires together and maybe those chip locations were to turn on and off the common to each bank? there certainly aren't enough pins on those ICs to switch all of the outputs.

I'm just speculating here, I don't have a MiniMaid or an ITG IO to fully test out any solution.

Theoretically, though the PAC Drive interface board I'm planning on building could be easily adapted to work as a switcher as well.

Very interesting. I'll be following your progress going forward.

I dug up my notes and photos of how the System 573 handles light control I/O:

ddr_digital_io_c_side.jpg

ddr_digital_io_s_side.jpg

Every pin on the light connector, including the common ground passes through a 50ohm TDK ZBF (Ferrite Bead Filter). I've yet to find a source for these, or even a similarly speced replacement... if anyone knows of one let me know.

after the filters every output pin is tied to the common ground pin with a non-directional .1uF capacitor the traces then go onto the output side of a PC847 opto-isolator (these are actually not too difficult to source).

on the other side of the opto-isolator the positive side of the trigger diode is driven straight from the controller ic while the other side is tied to ground through a 470ohm resistor.

So reproducing the output circuit of the actual 573 is pretty straight forward and simple, the only difficult to source component is the Ferrite Bead Filter... If anyone knows of a source (even just a different brand of 50ohm bead filter) I'd be interested in knowing about it.

I am in the same boat - want to drive the lights of an old DDR with a PC running Stepmania 5.09. Have a JPAC and Pacdrive, JPAC works great.

The 50 ohm resistors in the light control box make sense because if I short between the common and pad/cabinet light trigger pin with an ammeter, I get 100 ma current, which is 5vdc through the resistor.

I sent an email to Andy at Ultimarc, the designer of the PACDrive, asking about a simple mod to the PACDrive to control ALL of the DDR lights and he said he thought it would work. I tested tonight and I can verity that all you need is a PACDrive and a soldering iron and solder, plus some wire.

Here's how it works:
The light control box supplies 5VDC through the 50 ohm resistor (pulls up the trigger to 5VDC) to the 8 pad lights, the 2 sets of arrow/select buttons, and the 4 12VDC side lights (14 total inputs). So I unplugged the 3 harnesses from the 573 on the back side which are for P1 lights, P2 lights, and the cabinet lights and cut the connectors off. If you short each of the trigger wires to the common ground in that harness (black wire), the light will come on because you just sunk the trigger to ground, causing the light control box to see the change in logic and energize its light drivers. We need to get the PACdrive to short the wires. The light control box will take care of all of the high current lights, we just have to tell it what to do, like the 573 does.

The neon lights are different - they use solid state relays which need 5VDC with only about 6ma of current to trigger and are not connected to the light control box, since the 573 can handle driving 6ma directly.

The PACDrive uses ULN2803A driver chips, which are designed to sink to ground, which is exactly what we need for the cabinet and pad lights. BUT, there is no terminal on the PACDrive for the common ground, to which the inputs need to be sunk, just a couple of 5VDC supply terminals +. So here is the simple mod: solder a wire to the ground plane of the PACDrive, so when one of the drivers is energized, it sinks the input to the ground from the light control box, which will cause the light control box to energize its output to drive the lights. You can either solder the wire to the metal shell around the USB connector, or solder it to the bottom of the PACDrive where the metal shell is soldered into the ground plane (easier).

So now you merely connect the 3 common ground wires (black) from each of the 3 wire harnesses (P1, P2, Cabinet lights) to this wire going to the PACDrive ground that you just soldered, then screw the 14 input wires to the correct screw terminals. 14 lights done, which you can test using the SimpleLEDTest.exe that comes with LEDBLinky that is used to play with the PACDrive.

Now to the neons, which are a little different as they do not involve the light control box: On my machine, it looks like like someone may have messed with this wiring so I'll tell you how mine worked. Yours will likely be similar. There is a connector on the back of the 573 that just contains a red and black wire. On my unit, the red wire goes to the JAMMA connector black ground (the wire is spliced so it changes from red to black). The black wire goes to the solid state relay - terminal. Again, by shorting these two wires together, you will get the neons to turn on.

So remove the red wire from JAMMA pin that goes to the solid state relay + terminal and connect it to the + terminal on the PACDrive, then connect the black wire that goes to the solid state relay's - terminal to the PACDrive's screw terminal for the correct output. There will be one now unused black wire from the 2 pin connector going to the 573 to a ground terminal of the JAMMA connector. Leave it or remove it.

Now you should be able to use SimpleLEDTest.exe to scroll through all of the outputs and all of the lights should work at full brilliance. If some are dim, make sure that you have connected the common ground for that set of lights to the ground wire you soldered to the PACDrive.

The next trick is getting StepMania to load and use the pacdrive32.dll driver. We are using 5.09 which does not have the pacdrive driver, but I am working on setting up an environment to build an executable. Then I should be able to write a driver (slightly different from twistedsymphony's 3.95 PACdrive code, but awesome that he made it first) and add it to the SM build and test. I will let you know when I get that done.

Will send photos to show how I connected everything. I am using the PACDrive terminals in this order:
1=Marquee UL
2=Marquee UR
3=Marquee LL
4=Marquee LR
5=Bass lights (both sides Or'ed together)
6=Pad 1 L
7=Pad 1 R
8=Pad 1 U
9=Pad 1 D
10=Player 1 Start/Arrows
11=Pad 2 L
12=Pad 2 R
13=Pad 2 U
14=Pad 2 D
15=Player 2 Start/Arrows
16=Spare

Last edited:
We have it working! Had to make a custom build of StepMania 5.09 with the updated PacDrive driver at:
www.peeweepower.com/stepmania/stepmania5.09PacDrive.zip

Instruction doc with photos at: www.peeweepower.com/stepmania/sm509pacdriveinfo.pdf
Youtube video of working cabinet with the PacDrve and customized SM5.09:

If you have any questions, let me know.

Also I would like to see this new .cpp pacdrive driver included in ongoing SM builds. I used the pacdrive32.dll instead of linking in the .lib.

Any idea who to contact to email the .cpp, .h, and .dll for inclusion in existing SM builds?

the stepmania forums are the best place to get in contact with the dev team: http://www.stepmania.com/forums/

I posted my light mod when I first finished it and no one there seemed to really care. though they might appreaciate yours more since it's for a newer version.

reading through your document though I'm a little confused as to why you needed to remove a pin from the JAMMA connector and hook it up to the PacDrive for the neons.

The neons are driven differently from the other lights. The 573 drives the neons directly, whereas all of the other cabinet lights are driven from the light/amp box and are all 12VDC bulbs. The neons are controlled by the solid state relay (SSR) mounted on the back of the right subwoofer. It is a 4VDC-32VDC controlled relay that switches 220VAC to the neon transformer. The SSR's + terminal is powered from a 5VDC supply on the JAMMA connector. And since the SSR only draws 6ma, the 573 is able to sink that to the JAMMA's ground, which is plugged into the 573.

So instead of using the JAMMA's 5vdc supply and bringing the JAMMA ground to the PacDrive with another wire, which would have worked, I just used the Pacdrive's 5vdc supply from the PC through the USB cable, and sinked the SSR's - to the PacDrive's ground, which is also connected through the USB cable to the PC. I figured for the 6ma, that wouldn't be much of a load on the PC as USB can handle 500ma and seemed simple.

Pretty cool stuff. But are all the songs that annoying? lol

The neons are driven differently from the other lights. The 573 drives the neons directly, whereas all of the other cabinet lights are driven from the light/amp box and are all 12VDC bulbs. The neons are controlled by the solid state relay (SSR) mounted on the back of the right subwoofer. It is a 4VDC-32VDC controlled relay that switches 220VAC to the neon transformer. The SSR's + terminal is powered from a 5VDC supply on the JAMMA connector. And since the SSR only draws 6ma, the 573 is able to sink that to the JAMMA's ground, which is plugged into the 573.

So instead of using the JAMMA's 5vdc supply and bringing the JAMMA ground to the PacDrive with another wire, which would have worked, I just used the Pacdrive's 5vdc supply from the PC through the USB cable, and sinked the SSR's - to the PacDrive's ground, which is also connected through the USB cable to the PC. I figured for the 6ma, that wouldn't be much of a load on the PC as USB can handle 500ma and seemed simple.
Ah, I understand what you're doing now. It should be noted that you have a Korean cabinet which is not only wired differently but arranged differently from the Japanese and USA cabinets.

I have a Japanese cabinet and there is no relay for the neons, they're driven from a ballast that his it's own internal switching circuitry, not to mention it's located behind the coin-box. I don't believe there is any connection between the neon power circuitry and the JAMMA harness or DC power supply. The ballast is powered from AC I don't believe there is any 5V involved.

Japanese/USA cabs have no electronics behind or below the sub woofers, it's all located in the center behind the coin door. Wire colors aren't consistent from machine to machine either. Konami sold these cabs for the better part of a decade and had different manufacturers for different regions so there's a lot of variation.

Last edited:
Pretty cool stuff. But are all the songs that annoying? lol
if you go here: http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/simfiles.php?category=simfiles you can download any song from just about any official DDR release. There's also tens of thousands of songs/step charts made by fans.

I have a version of the game that I load up when I host parties that's 100% "normal" pop/rock/dance/etc music that you'd hear on the radio and even with the slimmed down track-list there's still well over 1000 tracks to choose from.

A lot of hard core players are more interested in the challenge of the step-charts than they are in the actual song they're listening to, though a lot of those people are also more interested in playing on official hardware and getting their scores ranked online, which is something you can't really do with Stepmania like what we're working with here.

Personally I just enjoy playing the game, I'm not terribly good at it and I couldn't care less about being ranked.

For casual players I highly recommend Ben Spier's "SpierMix" releases, they're mostly top 40 tracks, usually with full music-video backgrounds and they include full step charts for all difficulties (most user created tracks only include step charts for the highest difficulties)

http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=692
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=719
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=788
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=794
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=897

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. My son is the DDR player so I'll share them but he already has thousands of songs. He got 4th at Bearpocalypse Invitational ITG Tournament in Chicago at Mad Matt Garner's this year, and has been hired to work at trade shows like MOMOCON in Atlanta to demo dance pads for Precision DancePads. He can do 20 level songs with S- scores and loves having a 'real' machine to play anytime he wants.
Here's a video of him at a Cosplay convention in Green Bay. He's a lot faster so the songs on DDR machines don't really challenge him anymore.

Correct about the Korean cabinet. I got schematics from several machines and did notice the wire colors differ. Do the US/Japan machines require a 220V transformer, or can the neon ballast run off of 120V?

Back