What's new
it looks like a low end screen, this is the limit of your project. You could stuff whatever you want on the source it will have lag / scaling issues anyway.

Count your project's budget and you will know if it's worth it.

All namco sys12 you can run with vga as your video solution. It’s a nice perk of the system. And they don’t emulate that well so real pcbs are noticeably better.

That said, something has to scale the image from 480p to your panels resolution. Vga direct to your lcd board means that lcd board is doing it. So... could be good, could be bad. I dunno. That’s why I originally said I was suspect of it!

@ekorz correct me if i'm wrong but Sys12 only ouputs 240p and 480i through the HD15, I believe it was only made to support JVS standards but for tri-sync screens. So it's not vga but 15khz, if the screen doesn't support 15khz it wouldn't work imo even if the screen supported scaling from VGA > 1024p

Last edited:
@ekorz correct me if i'm wrong but Sys12 only ouputs 240p and 480i through the HD15, I believe it was only made to support JVS standards but for tri-sync screens. So it's not vga but 15khz, if the screen doesn't support 15khz it wouldn't work imo even if the screen supported VGA
Oh yeah, I think you're right... was a weird system that's JAMMA standard (i.e. 15khz) but has a vga port. But it's only 240p out that vga port. So if the LCD driver accepts 15khz 240p on the vga he's ok, but otherwise he needs something upscaling...

If I were to replace the monitor, a few things would need to happen:

1. It would still have to fit snugly into the Arcade 1up
2. It would work well with the board

I'm not sure what I'd be looking for to meet both qualifications.

For LCD

If you want a low end approach to experiment :

1. cheap upscaler like the GBS to start with to make sure jamma will be compatible with your screen
2. you could test with your screen to start with, if not happy toss it to garbage and upgrade it to something with more resolutions compatible with the GBS

This is the minimum you need to make things work

If you care more about the quality and don't mind the money or want to use these parts for other projects anyway :

1. upscaler from 240p > 480p / 720p / 1080p, choose between available ones like GBS / OSSC / Framemeister or something more adapted to arcade like the upcoming Irken's A1 scaler
2. A nice screen that would feet the dimensions with lowest lag possible and resolutions that matches the upscaler (benq, iiyama or something in that league, since I don't play on LCD I can't tell you where to start).

Snug is good but quality is the first priority, you could modify the bezel to adjust things but that's only me. It's not that hard to match an LCD compared to CRT

Start counting all these needs and when you will see the bill I'm sure you will know what to do.

That's why sometimes I like emulation, an rpi would work directly on your original screen just a matter of settings. In my experience with framedelay set to 2 most of games run with only 1ms additional lag. Which is close to nothing. For the price I don't mind some incaccuracies. Then you would just need to seek for a proper cabinet. That's what I would do if not selling the 1up cabinet as is and jump to a proper cabinet with same tech as the game it was designed for. CRT has the lowest lag possible. Jamma gaming was designed for CRT.

Last edited:
Testing my current screen with the GBS may not be a bad idea. What would you recommend for a GBS?

Of all the sites this one should be friendly to this kind of frankensteining over emulation. Go for it CharGP02A, you'll learn some things and have a good time. If you get the itch to do more after it then hey, all the better.

I found the manual, might have some helpful clues in it: https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/E/Ehrgeiz.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
Late to the conversation but I agree with the comments.. don't convert the 1up to jamma.. that route will be expensive, you will not get your money back if you need to sell, the current screen is not good enough for what you need.. the arcade 1up is a fun toy but that is it..trust me here, I have two of those machines running Mame.. if you are going the LCD route look into getting the cheapest Vewlix you can find and jamma that..

C'mon guys, dude is asking how to connect a jamma board to a 1UP.

He can pick up a Gonbes for twenty bucks. A Happ PSU for 30. Then he just needs a jamma connector, some wiring and a soldering iron. @CharGP02A, look up the jamma pinout. Wire up the PSU and Gonbes to the jamma connector. Connect the board to the connector. Connect the Gonbes to the LCD. Power on. Are you happy with how it looks? If you are, great. Proceed to connecting controls and audio.

if you are going the LCD route look into getting the cheapest Vewlix you can find and jamma that..
Even the cheapest clone Vewlix is like 1200 USD. That's just bad advice.

He is going to need a lot more parts,,speakers, amp, new LCD plus parts, new controls joy sticks and buttons, jamma harness, decent scaler..the difference is that if you pickup a clone for $1200 which are mostly jamma already, you will only have to invest on a scaller.. the Vewlix will be functional and if for some reason you need to sell the Vewlix clone chances are that you will get your $1200 back.. now invest $200 on an arcade 1up cab and over $200 on parts (which is very low numbers) to make that functional and try to sell the 1up for $400 with the mode and see how that goes.

Regarding getting a real cabinet, I need to clarify my stance on that. I literally do not have enough room to move a real cabinet up the stairs in my apartment. I can't even get a real couch in there. Every furniture I have is either something I can take apart or fold. Getting a real cabinet is not feasible for me unless I take the whole dang thing apart and then put it back together and I'm not comfortable with that. Also, financially, it's just easier for me buy parts in pieces so I can put it together, even if the final cost doesn't make sense.

Also, I never soldered anything in my life lol

I understand space constraints and easy to move and thanks for the clarification.

I am sure that you are aware of this one if not for future reference better build quality to meet your requirements.

https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-Arcade-Cabinet-JAMMA-p/rm-xt-alpha-jamma.htm
Dang, I wish I would have known about recroom last year lmao

Also, I never soldered anything in my life lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/56-Pin-Universal-JAMMA-Adapter-/152075296410
If you totally dont want to solder, something like this might work on the jamma edge end. You still need to manage the arcade1up end like the lcd, audio and controls.
Hmm...this seems neato. Do you think I could use this along with the stuff I posted in the OP, like the LCD driver and whatnot?

Hmm...this seems neato. Do you think I could use this along with the stuff I posted in the OP, like the LCD driver and whatnot?
1. You dont need the USB decoder if you want to run JAMMA games, they connect pin to pin direct, you just need long wires for the buttons.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7GF337/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <--- not needed.

2. The LCD driver might not work directly from the JAMMA edge, you might want to borrow a
https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Genuine-GBS8200-Channel-Converter/dp/B00W3460UU
and route the video from the jamma edge into the GBS8200 and then VGA out to the LCD driver board and see if it works. (should)

3. Audio on JAMMA egde is just two pins (speaker+ and speaker-) and the amp onboard your PCB might be enough to power the existing speakers, you might not need the amp either. If you use the RCA audio jacks on the PCB however, you might need an amp because they are line level audio afaik (not amplified).

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed. All these options and I don't know what to do with any of them, haha. Part of me thinks I'm better off saving for a Rec Room cab that has the Jamma in it already

if budget is not a problem,and space your only issue the Sega NNC cabs can do the best jamma/jvs quality and be completely dismounted to parts and remounted in less than 1h with a pair of torx and a screwdriver, I wouldn't spend money changing setups, and dive to the best directly if really I want the real thing

Honestly, that's out of my budget. I'm not going to get sweet cabs like that until I buy a house eventually. For now, I'm looking to deal with what I can get lol

To be honest, I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed. All these options and I don't know what to do with any of them, haha. Part of me thinks I'm better off saving for a Rec Room cab that has the Jamma in it already
if space is a big issue then why not just invest in a supergun? like this: Home Arcade System

this little device will allow you to play arcade boards (like your Ergeitz board) on your TV

Back