What's new
hey Arlieth, enjoyed watching your matches years ago.

Extracting the data:
Hint 1: https://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm
Hint 2: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection\Bundle\bundleStreetFighterIII_3rdStrike.mbundle

Now check this out:

romcompare.PNG

I believe that:

s1 -> 10
s2 -> 20
s3 -> 30 AND 31

s4 -> 40 AND 41

s5 -> 50 AND 51

s6 -> 60 AND 61

I'm no rom file expert, but I believe these are sim1, sim2 etc... (the Roms on the board). Unfortunately I don't know how to run this in an emulator or anything like that, I'm hoping the @Darksoft or @Mitsurugi-w or someone can take over from here.

I was born abrasive, it was very painful for my poor mother. :P

My view is simply this;
I despise the idea of someone telling me a special move, combo, or character isn't allow in play.
If its in the game, I'm sorry but I can do it, and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

If anyone has a problem with that, they can stop playing the game!
But telling me what to do, is not and never has been an option.
Play a fixed version, or any other number of games if you don't like it.

All is fair in gaming, and make no mistake I'll use anything at my disposal including crashing the goddamn game if I'm losing just to piss people off (and no its not a loss unless I lose).

Now check this out:
I believe that:

s1 -> 10
s2 -> 20
s3 -> 30 AND 31

s4 -> 40 AND 41

s5 -> 50 AND 51

s6 -> 60 AND 61

I'm no rom file expert, but I believe these are sim1, sim2 etc... (the Roms on the board).
I think you may be right. in addition to compiling this into a disc image I would think you'd have to determine what it's using for protection, though it might not use any, or simply borrow the protection from another version of the game. It would pretty cool if this was made available on the SuperBIOS cart.

I think the better question is, can someone rip the Alpha 3 Upper ROMs from the Alpha Anthology.
That's really interesting. Based on the WikiPedia description it sounds like it might be based on the NAOMI version of Zero 3 Upper. That would make for a cool addition to the NAOMI game list.

The Alpha 3 in Anthology is actually wilder than even the Naomi version. There's the Upper part, which you can unlock by beating the game, but there's a secondary unlock for Hyper Alpha 3, that adds three new ISMs, including one with parries.

I didn't even know about this unlock for the Anthology edition! Time to get to my xbox and check this out!

I didn't even know about this unlock for the Anthology edition! Time to get to my xbox and check this out!
I believe to unlock the Hyper Alpha 3 you have to beat the arcade mode for Alpha 1, 2, 3, and Upper. But it's been a while, so can't be sure that's it.

Bad news guys, this wont happen right away.

According to Darksoft:
  • Bios is original, untouched
  • Program code is encrypted with some tough stuff, the decryption must be done in the emulator.
  • Until it's decrypted we wont be able to run on original hardware

We have confirmed this is a rom and once decrypted it should work on original hardware. The problem is decrypting the roms.

Plasia's hot conjecture: Next thing I would try is to try and find the key in the program and decrypt from that. Hey we can only hope for a simple solution right? Unfortunately this low level* stuff is not something I can do.

* Low level in computer science is referring to there being a low level of abstraction, so it's harder basically.

Last edited:
errm, wtf ?
I've extracted and checked bundleStreetFighterIII_3rdStrike.mbundle files by myself - they are exact match "sfiii3nr1" set from MAME (SF3 3rd Japan 990512, NO CD), no single byte of difference found.

btw, it is even not latest available 990608 version. or maybe that is the magic ? (e.g. latest version had introduced some critical bugs ?)

I think the better question is, can someone rip the Alpha 3 Upper ROMs from the Alpha Anthology.
That's really interesting. Based on the WikiPedia description it sounds like it might be based on the NAOMI version of Zero 3 Upper. That would make for a cool addition to the NAOMI game list.
I'm not sure what changes they made when they were making the game, but it's running on a CPS2 emulator. It's why that and the Darkstalkers collection makes the PS2 emulator cry. So Capcom has actually been sitting on a CPS2 Alpha 3 Upper that I'm sure everyone would be happy with, but I don't think anyone actually realizes this. They also have a U.S. version of Alpha 2 Gold with a playable Cammy.

errm, wtf ?I've extracted and checked bundleStreetFighterIII_3rdStrike.mbundle files by myself - they are exact match "sfiii3nr1" set from MAME (SF3 3rd Japan 990512, NO CD), no single byte of difference found.

btw, it is even not latest available 990608 version. or maybe that is the magic ? (e.g. latest version had introduced some critical bugs ?)
That's version A which is the tournament standard and what everyone wanted/expected in the collection. It has bugs but they're the bugs everyone wants there because tournaments?

Someone earlier was saying it actually had some game breaking bugs fixed which is why they want to run it on original hardware.

If it's the NoCD version from MAME that means it will run on a battery cart but as suggested will need the protection broken for use on superbios

That's version A which is the tournament standard and what everyone wanted/expected in the collection. It has bugs but they're the bugs everyone wants there because tournaments?

Someone earlier was saying it actually had some game breaking bugs fixed which is why they want to run it on original hardware.
To summarize: version B fixed some bugs, but it also took out some things (specifically a few unblockable setups for a couple characters). The unblockables being removed was not a popular decision for a couple reasons, one they were fun, and two, the characters with them needed those setups, it made them more viable and balanced in the cast to have the bullshit so they could keep up with other stronger characters. So players rejected B, and stuck with A as the standard.

It's been that way for two decades now, so it's long been a defacto standard with players.

Capcom has actually been sitting on a CPS2 Alpha 3 Upper that I'm sure everyone would be happy with, but I don't think anyone actually realizes this.
Alpha 3 Upper was never released in arcades in the US to the best of my knowledge, I believe the Naomi version is Japan only. It's not particularly popular for various reasons, so I dunno how many people would be 'happy' with it, but it would be pretty cool if there was a way to run it on the Darksoft CPS2. I'd run it for sure. Hadn't occurred to me that it was even possible. Huh.

As for Hyper Alpha 3, no clue how that's done in software, but if anyone is curious about how to unlock it from your PS2 disc, and what the ISMs do, this is a pretty good little writeup:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Hyper_Street_Fighter_Alpha

Back