What's new
if this was a modified ROM available to be played via Darksoft/SuperBIOS then I actually, honestly, would be able to make it Japanese tournament standard
No way in hell!

Not only is the code modified, so they would have to be OK with that...
But we can't get this working on the normal SuperBIOS cart without replacing the SH2 processor.

So the hardware is modified as well, and we aren't just talking about a SIMM or media storage... but an entire CPU.
I can't see anyone who is serious about tournament play being OK with that.

It doesn't affect existing gameplay, but actually improves a usecase that causes the entire system to crash. I mean, it's not like you care about tournament players anyways.

Replacing the processor part sucks, but it's not any different than the process for 4th Strike. The idea of running a modified version of the game that fixes this one bug is an easy sell. I don't care if you don't believe me, it'll happen. :)

But we can't get this working on the normal SuperBIOS cart without replacing the SH2 processor.
why ? encryption is known, CDs is not protected, so in theory anyone may decrypt some CPS3 game's simm1/2 (10 and 20 files), apply some patches to them, fix checksums, then re-encrypt it and write to another CD.
or I'm missed something ?

Yeah it could be made to work with a cart without swapping the SH2. 4rd Strike requires a standard SH2 only because Darksoft did not want to take the time to re-encrypt the game to work with the custom SH2. If he wanted to spend all the time to make it work with a custom cart he could. Making it work on the standard version took minutes to do.

Also, if this was a modified ROM available to be played via Darksoft/SuperBIOS then I actually, honestly, would be able to make it Japanese tournament standard via approval through Yasuaki Matsuda.
I have no idea what Matsuda would think, but Arlieth is absolutely someone who could ask him.
If tournament organizers would be okay with using a patch that's been reviewed and is well documented, I would be interested in working on such a patch.
For the US tournament play I'm pretty confident it's a non issue and would be easy to deal with. As Arlieth pointed out, 30th is already tournament legal for this, so it's not that purist. But beyond that, we both know the man who is making the rules for Jazzy Circuit and he would probably be as excited as we are frankly. It's a pretty damn cool idea if it could be done cleanly.

I just don't agree with the philosophy behind the motivation, so I'll remove myself from the thread.

IMO version B is the fixed one, and if you want to run the fixed version that is the one you should be FORCED to use.
A is broken, and I don't believe it deserves to be fixed!

A was NOT the direction Capcom wanted to go in, fans/tournament players refused to accept B and forced them to regress.
Capcom made the game, Capcom didn't feel the double Aegis Reflector belonged, nor did they didn't feel the unblockables belonged.
Who are you to say otherwise?

They decide the future, that's what it means to be the owner/developer of a franchise.
This "please fix broken A" is soulless pandering to the masses, well the masses are wrong... Play B, or don't...
But A should NOT ever be "fixed" because even its creator thinks its unbalanced, hence the fixes present in B.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to play it... What you call "fix" I call bootleg, and no it has no place in tournament play.
Might as well allow Redwave or Rainbow edition in tournament play by that logic.
Darksoft did not want to take the time to re-encrypt the game to work with the custom SH2
Can you blame him? I mean you have played it right?
Was a fun distraction for about 15 mins, never written the SIMMs/played it again.

I wouldn't bother to re-encrypt this bootleg A request either.

Last edited by a moderator:
0xZero3 made a script to extract all the roms from the steam version and convert it to mame's format. Of course the difference is mainly graphic roms for cps1 and cps2 games. It's a decent start for this atleast. https://twitter.com/0xZERO3/status/1151527970881675264

If i want to mess with decrypted cps3 10&20 i usually just use "save decrypt.bin 0x06000000,0x01000000" in mames debug.

personally, is fixing this bug even that necessary? Who neutral throws with ken anyway, on purpose? In all my years, I have never seen it affect match play.

Would it be cool to fix? Sure. But we fix it, then a ton of play testing will have to be done to ensure nothing else breaks/modifies. Is it worth it?

A3 upper would be great in the sense you would get the extra characters, but all the engine and balance changes made for a much more boring game, as a lot of balance changes were executed poorly.

Not really, sure a lot my st stuff my say other wise ,it was my first hack and i edited places i shouldn't of which made it a glitchy mess. but if you can add a jsr to a rts and not crash at the problem, then it you're pretty much golden and that's if you have to extensively edit it.

As for a3 upper best you can do with Cps2 hardware is add Shin Gouki, Evil Ryu and maybe a couple more normals for boxer. Then you're stuck cutting stages and intro graphics for more space for character sprites.

A ver.A version of 3rd Strike without glitches and maintains unblockables sounds ideal to run on a darksoft CPS3 kit.

And can’t you already play Alpha 3 Upper on a NetBoot Naomi? I’ve applied the region patch to Zero 3 Upper and it fully converts it to the Alpha equivalent.

Last edited:
Neutral throw kills happen with Ken vs Makoto because you return the stick to neutral after a parry attempt and then option select into throw. If you hold a direction on the stick, you get a much shorter window of time to catch a move with a parry. It's a match that happens somewhat often because of their respective positions on the tier list. On a normal night at the arcade, if there was a Makoto player there, I'd have to reset the machine once or twice.

The fix is already implemented in 30th without any unintended consequences.
personally, is fixing this bug even that necessary? Who neutral throws with ken anyway, on purpose? In all my years, I have never seen it affect match play.

Would it be cool to fix? Sure. But we fix it, then a ton of play testing will have to be done to ensure nothing else breaks/modifies. Is it worth it?

A3 upper would be great in the sense you would get the extra characters, but all the engine and balance changes made for a much more boring game, as a lot of balance changes were executed poorly.

I've been playing the ken vs makoto match for god knows how long, locally, its never happened to me lol.

I guess I've just gotten lucky over all these years.

As for a3 upper best you can do with Cps2 hardware is add Shin Gouki, Evil Ryu and maybe a couple more normals for boxer. Then you're stuck cutting stages and intro graphics for more space for character sprites.
That makes sense. I presume the Darksoft CPS2 has the same memory limitations? It seems like a pointless exercise regardless, too much work for not enough return.

2011 SF3 3rd Online Edition for PS3/X360 was A with fixes, SF 30th Anniversary uses A with fixes as well.
not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is - Capcom decided to went this way.
Yup, A has been canonically recognized as the proper version by Capcom on multiple occasions. It's really a pointless argument that I won't dig into further, but that pretty much seals it anyways.

And can’t you already play Alpha 3 Upper on a NetBoot Naomi?
Yes, it's not some out of reach game that no one can ever play for sure, I've played it on a netboot setup. The truth is there's a very small population of people who still want to seriously play Alpha 3, and of those, basically none of them like Upper. It added more characters to the cast, which seems like a good thing on the surface, more is better right? But the changes to the gameplay are seen as hamfisted and not very fun. It's more of a novelty than anything else.

Still, if it was actually possible to run it on CPS2 I would, just for kicks. So it was cool to think about for a minute.

Yup, A has been canonically recognized as the proper version by Capcom on multiple occasions. It's really a pointless argument that I won't dig into further, but that pretty much seals it anyways.
honestly, I highly doubt Capcom any cared with "what ver is canonical?" or "which ver is proper?" questions.
I'd bet it was like: which ver is more popular and beloved by players ? this one ? okay, then we push it to XBLA/PSN/Steam/whatever and gain even more money from this 20 years old game!
pure money / business decision.

PS: on a funny side note, besides SF3 3rd 990512 USA, 30th anniversary game exe also contains unused code which run SF3 3rd 990608 JAPAN
perhaps later version B is/was more popular in Japan, while older and glitchy A is more popular in the rest of World ?

Last edited:
perhaps later version B is/was more popular in Japan ?
No, they only play A there. Third Strike players in the US are total weebs, they follow anything Japan does. You lose major cool points if your CPS3 board isn't running the Japanese ROMs when people come over. :P

Japanese players are the ones who came here and showed us the unblockables in the first place. When Tokido busted out the Urien tech in 2002 people lost their minds.

If you're not a Third Strike player the game lets you build meter by whiffing normals. So at the beginning Justin, playing Chun who's very strong with meter, thinks he's getting away with free meter build, and is content to let Tokido sit on the other side of the screen. He really had no idea what that meter was going to be spent on, or he might not have done that heh. Urien's Aegis Reflector super was seen as a mostly useless toy in the US at the time.

But A should NOT ever be "fixed" because even its creator thinks its unbalanced, hence the fixes present in B.
but it was - according to https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_III_3rd_Strike:_Fight_for_the_Future_(Arcade)#Revisional_Differences2011 SF3 3rd Online Edition for PS3/X360 was A with fixes, SF 30th Anniversary uses A with fixes as well.
not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is - Capcom decided to went this way.
You guys are acting like Capcom is a single person who you can agree or disagree with. It's very possible (read likely) that there are internal preferences for both directions or more. Then there's also people at Capcom who just want to please the customers, so they prefer whatever the community attaches to. It's like a very slow conversation that's happening over the course of many years and platforms...

PS: on a funny side note, besides SF3 3rd 990512 USA, 30th anniversary game exe also contains unused code which run SF3 3rd 990608 JAPAN

perhaps later version B is/was more popular in Japan, while older and glitchy A is more popular in the rest of World ?
Perhaps it's not unused and this is the code used by the emulator to fix the bug that crashes the game and super art text bug?

Rather than rewrite anything is it possible they just have a call in the emulator to use those particular sections of code in the later ROM set?

That would explain both why there isn't any modifications to either ROM set and how they fixed the small issues they did.

Back