What's new
proposal of patching the original game is the best approach
original game approach = compare 2x 8Mbyte simm1 game binaries with thousands of binary differences, and disassemble&analyze 1.2Mbyte of this game's Hitachi SH2 code.
it will be nor easier nor faster than anniversary emulator exe analysis (2Mbyte of x86 code).

As I understand with what metallic said the process of patching it would be a really big effort. If there's someone who knows how to do it we could raise some money for them to get a "community patch" that only fixes the makoto throw bug and the cosmetic stuff (magnetic storm etc..) and touches NOTHING else?

As I understand with what metallic said the process of patching it would be a really big effort. If there's someone who knows how to do it we could raise some money for them to get a "community patch" that only fixes the makoto throw bug and the cosmetic stuff (magnetic storm etc..) and touches NOTHING else?
It's not that big of an effort its finding out how the bug happens in asm and patching it over with hex code. Hell making code to add colors is easy it the process of making extra colors is a pain.

A true big effort is making a disassembly which you can rebuild the game from, which I have 2 of those as projects (it's not cps3).

@mountainmanjed The "community" patch I'm thinking of would only want to solve the makoto throw bug and the cosmetic magnetic storm bug, leaving everything else exactly the same. Is this correct @Arlieth?

Once this is tested and confirmed to do nothing else it could be released in the CPS3 CD format like the other ones? What do you think @Darksoft

Yeah, even the magnetic storm bug isn't even important. Just the Makoto bug would be enough

It's not that big of an effort its finding out how the bug happens in asm
what if I tell you - the bug is not in asm code, and in general, this game's logic mostly driven by script-like bytecode data structures ? and if some of developers did mistakes in these data it may cause unexpected/bad effects much later in game flow (i.e. from researcher point of view - yes, it is not hard to find part of code which does exception/hang, but quite hard to find actual cause of it).

It's not that big of an effort its finding out how the bug happens in asm
what if I tell you - the bug is not in asm code, and in general, this game's logic mostly driven by script-like bytecode data structures ? and if some of developers did mistakes in these data it may cause unexpected/bad effects much later in game flow (i.e. from researcher point of view - yes, it is not hard to find part of code which does exception/hang, but quite hard to find actual cause of it).
You'd still be reading trace logs of sh2 asm to find the bug.

I mean, if it's a data structure issue, then there's a good chance the bugfix in ver. B is

1) fixing the data structure, which is probably 100% portable between versions, and

2) adding a hacky conditional to bypass a bug they couldn't solve in time

You'd still be reading trace logs of sh2 asm to find the bug.
did you ever tried it at practice ? ;) with CPS3 games

@Hatsune Mike I've already solved it, as was said - it is 1byte fix in game data.
however in 30th anniversary emulator it was fixed not by patching data but using "code execution hook", which is doing the same thing. not sure why they did it in a bit more hard way.

Whoa nice! I'm more than willing to play test this extensively to see if any further edge cases and unexpected consequences occur.

I still dont see the 3s scene signing off on this. As noble as the attempt is, cuz now we are modifying game code, so I could see people being apprehensive with this

I still dont see the 3s scene signing off on this. As noble as the attempt is, cuz now we are modifying game code, so I could see people being apprehensive with this
Just takes Mutant signing off on it as Jazzy certified and there's nothing to really worry about in the US. Get Art on board and run it at NLBC and there's another easy win. I'll hopefully see him this week, I'll ask him what he thinks.

I can think of some people who won't want to run it, but I don't really care what they think about anything anymore, so welp lol. Not like anyone has to.

We're really trying to step up our game in NC this season for jazzy, so I'll be bringing more arcade hardware out to events. If it gets the OK from Mutant than I'll be pushing to get setups changed out over here too tbh. I've never personally ran into the glitch in any of the locals I've gone to, and if it did happen it'd just be a super minor inconvenience to power-cycle, but if it's for the better than its for the better.

If all this new version aims to do is fix the ken neutral throw freeze, then players really wouldn't even be able to tell they're playing on the "fixed" version unless someone actually gets the glitch; it'd be pretty seamless...then all we would be missing is a replacement for ver.B on the darksoft boot with a Ver.A that has infinite health and meter :whistling:

Back