What's new
Arli told me this isn't an issue because the glitch isn't consistent. Possible it doesn't happen. So there's no immediate 'tell' anyways.
I was talking to @TMF68k. He said that
* Fighting gamers won't play if the version is different from the version they were practicing.
* In Japan, the initial version, including the defect, was preferred.This is because the balance of the system varies from version to version.

So I understand that If we change the date or add anything that would make it visible for the users that it's different, they won't play it, at least in Japan. If it's a version that "justs" fixes the makoto fix with only that byte change, it will be accepted.
What it's not clear to me is if it will be accepted because they won't notice the change or if they will play it even knowing that the bug was fixed.

What about the rest of the world? What is the rule on this and what would be accepted by gamers?
As Arli/Aurich said, the glitch is possibly inconsistent anyways, so I imagine if the situation were to happen mid-game overseas and it DIDN'T freeze, tournament organizers/players can just say "Wow we did the glitch and it didn't freeze this time, how lucky!" etc etc.

I kind of like the idea of adding a "Ver.C" somewhere on the boot screen (optionally different ISO?) for players that would like the disclosure, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about alienating ourselves from JP players by encouraging this.

adding a "Ver.C"
why "C" ? it is same ver 990512 (as you call it "A") with backported from 990608 of one little fix, so it is more like "A+" or "A fix" in scene terms.
while "C" sounds more like successor of "B", which is hated by sf3 c00l sc3n3 people.

PS: and now I expect 7 more pages of this topic, where the people will talk about - how to properly name this pathetic 1-byte fix version :D

adding a "Ver.C"
why "C" ? it is same ver 990512 (as you call it "A") with backported from 990608 of one little fix, so it is more like "A+" or "A fix" in scene terms.while "C" sounds more like successor of "B", which is hated by sf3 c00l sc3n3 people.

PS: and now I expect 7 more pages of this topic, where the people will talk about - how to properly name this pathetic 1-byte fix version :D
C, Z, A+, B-, etc etc it's just an example. If DS wanted to put "Ver 990512 except without the 1-byte makoto thing" in big flashing red text on the boot screen, I would feel the same way. I personally don't really care what it's called, it's really just to appease that 0.01% that would want the disclosure on boot.

would be OK for the community?
Everyone agrees?
No my god are you kidding? Stealth bootlegs are NOT COOL!

Even if your intentions are good (aka fixing a game crashing bug) this action is wrong...
It needs to be clearly marked, if people have a problem with that, you've still done the right thing so you should feel no guilt about it.

(and Yes I told you pages ago it wouldn't be accepted by the community and you'd be wasting your time)

Let's make a full stop here. We'll release the 1 byte change and keep the rest intact. If someone wants to make other changes, please be my guest.
Awesome, I would be happy to run this in my Darksoft CPS3 setup. I'd have no issues telling my players about the fix, frankly I'd probably want to brag about how much I appreciate this community for rallying around cool ideas like this. But if I was in a situation where it was something better kept secret I would have no problem with that either.

No my god are you kidding? Stealth bootlegs are NOT COOL!
Even if your intentions are good (aka fixing a game crashing bug) this action is wrong...
It needs to be clearly marked, if people have a problem with that, you've still done the right thing so you should feel no guilt about it.

(and Yes I told you pages ago it wouldn't be accepted by the community and you'd be wasting your time)
Bootleg's a bit far, but yeah, choosing to be deceptive seems... Well, sketchy. Passing something off as 100% official when it's not isn't okay. Even if it is 99.9999999999% official. Hell, even if it just had an extra period on the boot screen or said it in the service menu or something. There should be *something* to distinguish it from the real deal aside from dumping it and comparing files.

If people would want this and rally around it, because the community is so great and would appreciate the fix, then there's no reason to not be up front about it.

I agree with most of what has been said on this last page of posts. I really think there should be some distinguishing factor (other than having to eject the CD and see it is burned/dump it).

Darksoft is already nonstandard (and you can see darksoft text in the bios menu on boot). And a flash of the region select screen if you have auto boot, otherwise it sticks there. If anything the release should be standardized and have a differentiating mark (like the original - DARKSOFT text) and then if hackers want a stealth mode for tournament or Japan use, they can go out of their way to make one.

I don't care particularly if it's Version C or a different date code or what, it's more about just being honest and up front. Call it whatever the people creating the hack want to call it. It could be Version A-P for all I care.

Would I be able to play this release with a regular 3s battery cart? Using the older reencryption method? What about with a 2i cart? If not, then this whole thing is a sham because it's all obviously non-standard, and cannot be done on stock hardware.

Yes, that is my point... if people need an undisclosed (stealth) version they can make that themselves. It shouldn't come from us like that (imo).

Yes, that is my point... if people need an undisclosed (stealth) version they can make that themselves. It shouldn't come from us like that (imo).
Absolutely.

Making the conscious decision to deceive people is sketchy. Being sketchy puts your integrity into question. And if you sell products and provide services, then your integrity matters (and perhaps more than that people's opinions of your integrity matters). I can't understand a mindset where this is a good business decision.

Why give people a reason to question your integrity over throwing a period on the end of the date code or something else only telling to someone who's actively looking for it? If others want to remove it, let them. There's zero reason to not be transparent. It just makes the releaser look bad...

I certainly don't think doing something subtle that lets people spot it is a problem. If anything it would be helpful for those in the know to be able to see it and get comfort from it, rather than the opposite scenario about getting mad. I don't think calling it version C or whatever makes any sense, but sure, put in a dot or whatever. It's a very minor bugfix.

I dunno, I can't help but think this is being blown out of proportion. Because this forum is full of things like this. When hacks to change the colors in Street Fighter Alpha 2 were being shown off nobody was freaking out over if they were bootlegs or not. When MvC2 is hacked to unlock the characters it's no longer stock, and people don't care.

As has been pointed out, you already see the Darksoft logo on boot, so anyone who's overly precious about that stuff has plenty of fair warning. And I don't mean any disrespect, but most of the noise is coming from people who don't play the game, and the support and excitement is coming from an active player scene. We just want the fix so the game doesn't crash, because we play it a lot. And nobody has to run it, this isn't some kind of forced upgrade.

As has been pointed out, you already see the Darksoft logo on boot
unless you don't:
*NEW* April 12th 2019. Unmodified UniCD Images without Darksoft text for competitions. Requested by our Japanese friend TMZ
I have no dog in this fight but I think the dot is a good middle ground and has a basis in being used to identify specific versions of other games.

date code to 190823
Version A+

Up to the organizers to do what they want with it!

Lol it's just a one byte bug fix that Capcom implemented themselves, you guys are blowing this out of proportion.

There's no reason to beat a dead horse, let's just be thankful to @MetalliC for making this happen.

Petty bickering can discourage people from making cool stuff happen, jus' saying. If you won't use it, just move along... :P

Sorry, I was just trying to make it 8 more pages. Tbh I play more Jojo. I’ll step aside.. ;)

Sorry, I was just trying to make it 8 more pages. Tbh I play more Jojo. I’ll step aside.. ;)
Wasn't directing that at you, just those that won't use the patch anyways but feel they have to post or those throwing words like deceptive around.

@Aurich I think it's more about nipping a questionable decision in the bud rather than anything else. Let this one go and then it's easier to justify more questionable things later. Maybe it's 3S today which doesn't affect me, but tomorrow it's something I or someone else cares about that doesn't affect you, you know?

As an example in the opposite direction, people seem to get pretty upset about phoenixed CPS2 games when those aren't disclosed ahead of time (doubly so when you sell ones that have the logo removed).

And yeah, it shows the darksoft logo on loading, but that doesn't tell you if you're running the bug fix version or standard. You'd also need to be present during boot for that knowledge.

Like I said, there's zero reason to not be transparent. It makes those involved look better because they're being honest and up front. And maybe others don't care about that kind of thing, but I value transparency and integrity. I think this is morally questionable and a lapse in good judgment.

Thats where I sit. Whether my opinion matters or makes a difference or not, I think it's better to have stated it than not to have.

Lol it's just a one byte bug fix that Capcom implemented themselves, you guys are blowing this out of proportion.

There's no reason to beat a dead horse, let's just be thankful to @MetalliC for making this happen.

Petty bickering can discourage people from making cool stuff happen, jus' saying. If you won't use it, just move along... :P
This.

Leave it as a single byte change, if that's a problem than play the original.

Changing the date code, version, adding text, etc, is just cheesy and makes it look more like a hack.

Back