What's new
Nope, no CPS3 setup here. I'm not enough of a fighting game fan to justify the platform when fighting games is all that's on it.

But if @ebzero89 is looking for an inexpensive logic analyzer with tons of channels for arcade board work, track down an HP 16500 series on Ebay. I paid $150 for an HP 16500C with 128 channels. Just make sure you get one with the cards and wiring still intact - the cheap ones for sale have the goodies gutted out of them.

Is it at all worth having a cheap logic analyser in the repair kit or do you need something like the large HP units to get any useful information from arcade hardware?

I have 2 CPS3 setups so I can have 2I and 3S loaded to do a comparison of the widescreen vs standard signals and I can pick up one of the cheap units.

I have a cps3 set, if you link the right cheap logic analyzer I will get it and do the reading for you.

Is it at all worth having a cheap logic analyser in the repair kit or do you need something like the large HP units to get any useful information from arcade hardware?
depends on goals, it is usually enough for basics hobby hardware research. especially older hardware, which usually works on relatively low clock rates.
for example rtw's Saleae (can't remember model, besides it was original, not clone) was enough for Cave CV1000 hardware timings research.

but of course, for professional repair/etc work it is more handy to have professional grade equipment.

Both have pros and cons

USB based Saleae devices have unlimited data capture (limited by host pc ram). The bandwidth/sample rate goes down the more channels you use.

Mainframe style logic analyzers have massive amounts of channels, but can only capture a specific amount of data. But they can also do way more advanced detection, trigger setup, etc

9 times out of 10 I use a saleae logic 16, but for the heavy lifting I have a Tektronix TLA7012 (started with a TLA715)

here is another thing - I'm trying to get rid of CPS-3 dumps marked as (possible) "Bad Dumps" in MAME.

does anyone have original "SF3 3rd Strike 990608" or "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 990913" CDs to check/compare/verify ?

I have a Third Strike CD but I'm unsure of version. I can dump it though

608 is a B revision... You could check the dumpster behind a Japan arcade. :P

yes, thanks! did I get it right - it was ripped by you from original disc, not a copy ?
Correct I did rip that cd myself using ImgBurn on Win 7. I have CRC32 compared it with a different downloaded image I have, and it is the same.

Back