What's new

Arlieth

Student
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, the 30th Anniversary release of 3rd Strike keeps almost every glitch intact, except for some cosmetic ones such as "Twelelve" and 2P Yang having the wrong Super Art name (Magnetic Storm), but the one critical glitch that it fixes is Makoto getting KO'ed by Ken with a neutral throw. This often results in a hard crash of the game and necessitates a power cycle.

Does this version of the 3rd Strike ROM exist outside of 30th Anniversary? Would it be possible to load it in Darksoft?

Version B in the arcade fixed the Makoto Ken throw issue...
But competitions have flat out rejected version B for the nerfs to Aegis Reflector and well basically ALL of Hugo's moves.

I always remind these "hardcore" players they prefer a broken version that has since been fixed, but they don't seem to care.
The community has spoken, the version to play is A (even with all that broken/jacked up shit).

That's why Capcom made the 30th Anniversary the way they did, with everything but the most deadly of glitches intact.
Trying to appease these "hardcore" players who IMO want their cake and eat it too.

Fuck 'em, play the broken one and accept its broken or play the fixed one and accept Capcom re-balanced some moves.
Same applies to Smash Bros Meelay fans, accept its a broken game and allow the Ice Climbers into tournaments or stop playing it cuz its god damn broken.

"You just can't use these players" or "you just can't perform these moves" boo fucking hoo!
If they are in the game I can use 'em and you have zero right/authority to tell me otherwise.
Accept it, or move on... You're entire "tournament" scene is a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
What moves got adjusted for Hugo?

The things I know that were adjusted were Aegis Reflector, Sei'ei Enbu and Yagyou Dama unblockables, but I actually prefer the unblockables in the game because it makes it more balanced.

All tournaments in Japan run Revision A so there's literally no choice but to play it.

Version B in the arcade fixed the Makoto Ken throw issue...
But competitions have flat out rejected version B for the nerfs to Aegis Reflector and well basically ALL of Hugo's moves.

I always remind these "hardcore" players they prefer a broken version that has since been fixed, but they don't seem to care.
The community has spoken, the version to play is A (even with all that broken/jacked up shit).

All tournaments in Japan run Revision A so there's literally no choice but to play it.
Great, then I suggest you enter the tournament pick Ken and throw that Makoto bitch into a game crashing death spiral.
Anyone who says that isn't allowed you can tell 'em I said to get fucked... It's in the game, all is legal in love/war/video games cry baby bitches.
Don't like it? Play the fixed version!
Version A Highlandered that shit, so hold that
Did it tho? Remember part of being the Highlander is you are the one... Can a broken version of a game really be regarded as the Highlander?
No... If it could Metal Slug 2 would be the Highlander, and we all know that honor belongs to Metal Slug X. Why? Again, because 2 is broken, X is fixed.

SF3-3RD A is broken, and B is fixed... B is the highlander IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not allowed to use the Ken-Makoto glitch in tournament, that actually is a DQ.

Also for what it's worth, I believe in keeping tools like Ice Climbers in Melee and Roll Cancels in CvS2. It makes them better games. Unfortunately the Ken-Makoto glitch just stops play entirely. Also, no arcades in Japan in the entire world even run Revision B so there's no point playing it.

Anyways, you're not contributing anything to this discussion, so please leave this alone.

Great, then I suggest you enter the tournament pick Ken and throw that Makoto bitch into a game crashing death spiral.Anyone who says that isn't allowed you can tell 'em I said to get fucked... It's in the game, all is legal in love/war/video games cry baby bitches.
Don't like it? Play the fixed version!

Last edited:
This is a hell of a third post. Sheesh.
He's not wrong. jassin's opinions on what should or shouldn't be the game are amusing, but in this case A is the game, and B is dogshit, and the entire world of competitive Third Strike has spoken about it, basically decades ago. There's literally no conversation to be held, unless you like playing fighting games by yourself. In which case fire up that B or the Dreamcast port or something and have a blast playing the CPU.

Every single Third Strike tournament in the world, including the current United States series the Jazzy Circuit, runs version A. Saying just play B is pointless. I tried to make a Highlander post to keep it light, but really, it's decided, it's done, get over it.

Regardless, Arlieth proved his arcade bona fides years ago (as well as his Third Strike play, not a lot of Americans enter Coop Cup), let's not be silly about post counts. I'm curious to know what it would take to make his question happen more than I am having a pointless argument. Clearly it's possible on some level, since with the right Darksoft superbios you can run the 4th Strike hack.

It's a good question that comes down to how it is emulated in the 30th Anniversary version.

Wonderboy Monsterland English released on Wii was able to have the ROM files extracted and they work on the original hardware because it was an emulator running the original ROM files updated with a proper English translation.

Is SF3-3 in 30th Anniversary configured like this? I assumed it was closer to Online Edition from 360/PS3 (unfortunate that the netcode wasn't closer)

The other issue is actually decrypting the files, is there a PC version because as far as I'm aware the protections on PS4 and Xbone are still intact.

I simply don't see the point in being needlessly abrasive. Regardless of who someone is or isn't. That's all.
I was with you until this post... now I'm not exactly sure who you're talking about, we do have some characters on A-P... ;P

The other issue is actually decrypting the files, is there a PC version because as far as I'm aware the protections on PS4 and Xbone are still intact.
The Switch version would be easier to approach, I'm sure. There are already a handful of patched/hacked/modded games out, so the tools are definitely out there.

I simply don't see the point in being needlessly abrasive.
I mean, I was literally replying to this, which was both profane and abrasive, and I also said please?

Great, then I suggest you enter the tournament pick Ken and throw that Makoto bitch into a game crashing death spiral.Anyone who says that isn't allowed you can tell 'em I said to get fucked... It's in the game, all is legal in love/war/video games cry baby bitches.
So if you really think I'm the abrasive one here, then I don't have anything else to say because how do I argue with that.

Anyways, here's what I managed to dig up. There is a PC version and a gentleman by the name of Wydd on twitter managed to extract everything from it (I can't imagine why it would be more difficult than Switch), but isn't sure what goes where.

https://github.com/WydD/sf30ac-extractor/issues/2

https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1001593937772019712

https://twitter.com/zerojay/status/1001849683101257728

Also abrasive, sure. But about the game and how it's played at tournaments, not toward you or any other member.

Good find on the actual topic though!

I didn't think of the Switch version tbh :P

Didn't realise there was a PC port either. But interested to have a look at this, can't guarantee I can do much with it but interested to look nonetheless

Ok so I had a look at the tweets above and as long as the files are split correctly the CPS1 and CPS2 stuff shouldn't be too hard. The ROMs are just interleaved so they're all in one file.

CPS3 will definitely be more complicated because of the way it functions and the way the SIMMS are written.

If the files in the 30th Anniversary set aren't the original CD image then it's going to be even more difficult.

It will be even more complicated if it's emulated with the original encryption system intact (though that may help the people who have worked out how to reload CPS1 and CPS2 keys how to reload CPS3 keys to a cart)

@Darksoft would probably be one of the few people able to make this happen if it can be done at all, since he was the one who made the SuperBIOS possible.

Yeah, the CPS3 SF3: 3rd Strike image is definitely modified from the original Arcade rom. I think SF3: New Generation, and SF3: 2nd Impact are identical to arcade however; you can still crash SF3:NG with Ibuki very easily and it will even crash the entire game executable (or if playing on a PS4, cause a console blue-screen error).

The ROM being modified isn't the issue, it's how it's emulated by 30th Anniversary

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the heads up.

Back