What's new

Rg111

Multi Boyz
Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting a black screen when I try to netboot Atomiswave games on my Naomi 1. This worked fine for over a year without issues.
  • Confirmed power is good. The Naomi is getting a solid 3.3v, 5v, and 12v while under load. (These are the exact readings)
  • Tried using a separate power supply to separate Naomi from the rest of the cab. Power is good there too.
  • Naomi games netboot without issues.
  • Tried swapping from UniBIOS to previous USA BIOS (netboot supported of course). Issue persists.
  • Using FW 4.02 with Zero-key security pic.
  • Tried @Finisterre 's suggestion in previous thread with Guilty Gear X1. 5. My problem here is that I cant get any AW games to load. Period. I can't even get that far into the game to be prompted to enter Game Test.
  • Once the AW game is flashed to the netboot RAM, I can go to test mode and see that the system recognizes the game. However, selecting Game Test brings me to the same blank screen.
I'm pretty stumped. Especially since my setup hasn't changed. As stated previously, AW games were working great for over a year. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you've checked this, but are you dip switches definately correct?

Have you tried running the game without an I/O connected?

I haven't checked the dip settings. Does it need something specific?

I am connected to the stock IO in the NNC, where it worked fine before. I could try unplugging it and see what happens.

Tried booting without an IO connected (removed the USB cable from the system). Issue persists.

The dipswitches by the USB port are all in the OFF position. FYI.

> I haven't checked the dip settings. Does it need something specific?

There are various region settings with the UniBios I beleive, as well as the screen resolution switch - so maybe worth playing around with those?

> I am connected to the stock IO in the NNC, where it worked fine before. I could try unplugging it and see what happens.

Probably isn't the issue, but worth a try.

UniBIOS settings are all set to Japan. Resolution is set to 31khz. (Resolution was never an issue prior).

Tried booting it in 15khz. Issue persists.

Maybe check the settings in the service menu of the naomi, try different amounts of players / orientation / cabinet type etc

My Naomi's dip settings are all down. So you should be good on that front.

Maybe check the settings in the service menu of the naomi, try different amounts of players / orientation / cabinet type etc
I'm not quite sure how these settings would affect the boot process. We can shoot in the dark all night, but right now I'm thinking about the Zero-pic key having issues, or possibly the Naomi mobo.

Hopefully, I can use my friends setup this weekend, or possibly someone whos fixed this before can chime in.

Yeah fair enough.

If it is the pic then you could remove it and use a NetBoot script that performs the timeout hack. I’ve never used a zero key and booted the atomiswave games fine

@bobbydilley - I took your advice and removed the zero pic, but it still didnt work. Im going to try my friends mobo and see what happens.

I never updated this thread. I tested using my friends mobo in my setup, and everything works fine. AW games boot with no issues.

I noticed while running tests on my Naomi that IC29 is bad. I'm thinking this might be the cause.

I'll update once the repair is done.

Update: Naomi got a recap. We were hoping that a cap was possibly at fault somehow, but its not the case.

I ended up getting a new Naomi with a working IC29 for now.

Back