What's new

DaveR

Student
Reaction score
I been here for a week and just joined up as there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge on the SEGA Lindbergh hardware which may help me figure out what is happening to our newish machine.

YouTube Video

The video is me explaining what is going on

Day 1 - the machine had issues with setup, BIOS corruption so using regular PC knowledge I replaced only one of the batteries.
We noted the game would play but then while playing we would lock up in the clouds.

Day 3-5 .. we noticed the machine was not firing missiles correctly, this seems to be erratic.

Week or so later had another review - Swapped the X and Y axis at the joystick connector, could not find a 'invert axis' option.

One Weekend we could play fine for hours, then 2 and half days later it started locking up again in the usual places.

It's mainly TWO identical places, pn the loading screen where it say's 'PLEASE WAIT' and never comes of it and in the sky on level one, it seems to lock up and keep flying and all control are working.

There is a 'cluck' noise half a second before it starts the freeze, the audio does go into a loop.

Steps taken:
I have moved the sound card and the IO board to different slots in the computer.
I have cleaned out the machine / wiped connector edges.

NExt step is to try and reinstall the HDD, I have bought a matching drive but understand there might be protection (ATA Locked?) and other things to think about.

I DO NOT Hae the Re-install DVD, is ANYONE kind enough to make an ISO / IMG and send a message, I am willing to paypal you some time for doing this.

Also, will any external DVD Drive on a USB lead work? how about IDE?

Sorry for the questions, we are getting a little desperate to get it up and running now

Dave R

Bideford/England

It looks very clear to me that your internal JVS I/O is going broken. Try with another one and see if that fixes it.

Thank you both for coming back to me, I would love to buy more hardware but I have to do basic's before doing so.

Is there a Lindberg test routine ? something that scans the harddrive for errors.

I understand your thoughts on the JVS I/O but 'the same place' and the hard drive 'parking' like that is bugging me on that. Unfortunely I have to have the card in to boot the game, so I cannot remove it and try game loading and flying without input.

Also in the UK not so easy to get parts as customs charge a whack on top. What I like to do is

1: reinstall onto new hard drive, would need someone to IMG me a disc plesae?
2: run some kind of diagnostic tool on the hardware to see if the computer side is okay, but what tho?

I had a ton of issues with a Lindbergh motherboard locking up at various times. The culprit was the SUN PSU. You could rule that out by replacing it with a beefier (500W+) computer power supply.

When I had random crashing errors on bootup it was one of the Ram sticks being dodgy. If you've got some spare DDR3 (I think) you could try and swap those over.

Normally if the I/O where to stop responding it would goto a JVS I/O error, not lock up.

Could easily be the HDD having bad sectors, not sure how you'd copy it though.

ITs the 'random' that really is not 'random' ... its only on the Please Wait (and that doesn't always happen).... and when it say 1 minute into the first level and then ur flying with locked up sound.

I had a ton of issues with a Lindbergh motherboard locking up at various times. The culprit was the SUN PSU. You could rule that out by replacing it with a beefier (500W+) computer power supply.
might try that by taking the lindberg yellow onto the test bench and running it on an ATX PC one and see what happens... don't think the rest of Afterburner is necessary to do tests?

Does the game run normally if you have it on your bench? If yes, then it's fine for testing.

All you need to get a Lindbergh to boot is the I/O. Should work fine on any monitor, and with any ATX PSU.

Reactions: nem
quick update on this... was trying PC PSU earlier and USB connected the JVS which got it to boot into the game, however the JVS needed power lol but it did boot and start game with JVS on USB only, could not press any buttons... understandable.

With that I did take apart and took out memory, noticed they were not matched (different manufacturers)

So I abandoned, put original PSU on and fired it up and so far its been working all day fine.

On thing I do need to sort, chair sound. The volume makes the LED's go up and down on the amp but I am getting nothing out only on the front speakers on the cabinet. Front seems to be Phono connected and Rear is connected with jack cable, where does it go? I didn't want to short it out by quick swapping into the jack sockets?

Ram seems to be a common issue with these boards then. I’ve also noted that if you sick more ram in some games seem to boot much faster

thank you

Just had the game on for 3 days successfully but I just had word that it's returned to locking up :(

Still need an install IMG / DVD :(

hi guys

sorry to drag up an old post

but is there a drop in psu i can use?

or is my only alternate an ATX PSU ?
but these have no adjustable +5vdc
or is this not needed ?

i have 2 x SUN PSu here and both give out no voltages :(
internal fuse it not blown so not too sure

thanks

dave

i have 2 x SUN PSu here and both give out no voltages :(
internal fuse it not blown so not too sure
I dont know which ones you have exactly, but the Regular PC PSUs, need to have a wire connected to Ground. I think it's called PSON and is usually green. If you dont have that shorted, there will be no output.
or is my only alternate an ATX PSU ?
but these have no adjustable +5vdc
or is this not needed ?
You can use either regular ATX PSU or the original one. I dont think that any of these has adjustable 5V. They just give nice and steady 5VDC outputs.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...jjcdSD5-l_Xg85OVn0u1gX98vpsTbFKQqaMJb0zM-IDGZ

This is a picture of an original Lindbergh power supply.

You can see it has adjustments for 5v and 3.3v, along with a switch to select either ATX or JVS.

I suspect when it's in ATX mode (which it would be for the Lindbergh), it ignores those adjustments and follows the ATX spec instead which I beleive has slightly higher voltages compared to JVS.

I've used random ATX power supplies on my Lindberghs for years, and they're all still running!

Lind is just an atx pc with the parallel-port signals re-routed to the board with a pic on it.

thank you

Just had the game on for 3 days successfully but I just had word that it's returned to locking up :(

Still need an install IMG / DVD :(
Sorted with new ATX Powersupply, it was slight voltage drop when HDD was accessed.. i also wired the JVS directly in with a molex connector to keep that powered up .

Back