What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score
Ripped a bios file from a Battle Tryst board (I know its available online) and the dump was good and checks against the MAME file perfectly fine.

My issue is, just for shits and giggles, I wanted to use the dump to launch the bios in MAME. Three of the four banks have data, but only one bank is the BIOS.

Since the saved dump is 512K (the bank size) vs the file size MAME accepts, it just throws up an error in MAME's usually overly sensitive and specific file size way.

Changing the extension from bin to 8Q got MAME to look for it, but then it fails on the file size check. Granted my end goal is to write a custom bios for the target hardware, so I can skip mame (or keep altering the dumped 8Q mame accepts and rapid prototype it in the debug menu) but I was curious why XGPRO always saves my dumps as a 512K file size.

Might be too esoteric of a question lol, but any help would be great

Ripped a bios file from a Battle Tryst board (I know its available online) and the dump was good and checks against the MAME file perfectly fine.
If the BIOS is a different size, how did you check it against the Mame file?

The comparison app I use just indicates "the file is identical, except the file size is larger on X file"

The dumping software just forces a 512k file size since thats the bank size, even if half is empty

I thought three of the banks had data on them?

Anyway, just trim off the empty space? You can use HXD to split the file as needed, then merge again if necessary.

Three banks do have data, but only 1 bank seems to be utilized in the mame dump. I haven’t really determined what the other two banks are for yet. My guess is cd-rom drivers, since when I just burnt the rev 1 bios to bank 2 on an eeprom I lost all control of the cd rom drive when powered on. Was wholly unresponsive.

I wasn’t sure if xgpro had a setting that only saved actual data and left out FF FF fields in the file size. Guess I’ll have to manually trim

Back