What's new
Extra locks & keys of both types (The dimple key isn't listed, but the lock is listed as E5000678A "KIND LOCK-(LARGE RING)-(ROHS). Perhaps the key comes with it?
Those Dimple locks are Sega locks used on the Blast City and Net City Cabs. Not only are they the wrong locks for Vewlix but the shaft is larger than a normal lock which means it wont fit any of the specialty tangs in the machine, like the one on the control panel latch.
proper locks for a Vewlix is the "FIRST LY-1153" tube locks. (Taito PN: E5000630A for the lock E5000631A for the key)

IIRC Taito will charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 per lock but you can find a set of 4 with keys used for about $60 on Yahoo auctions.
Thanks for the info!

You are correct about it being the wrong lock for most of the cabinet.

From what I can tell, it seems to be correct one for the cash box though, and it's listed in the Vewlix manual.

https://imgur.com/a/8PvsudL

Extra locks & keys of both types (The dimple key isn't listed, but the lock is listed as E5000678A "KIND LOCK-(LARGE RING)-(ROHS). Perhaps the key comes with it?
Those Dimple locks are Sega locks used on the Blast City and Net City Cabs. Not only are they the wrong locks for Vewlix but the shaft is larger than a normal lock which means it wont fit any of the specialty tangs in the machine, like the one on the control panel latch.proper locks for a Vewlix is the "FIRST LY-1153" tube locks. (Taito PN: E5000630A for the lock E5000631A for the key)

IIRC Taito will charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 per lock but you can find a set of 4 with keys used for about $60 on Yahoo auctions.
Thanks for the info!
You are correct about it being the wrong lock for most of the cabinet.

From what I can tell, it seems to be correct one for the cash box though, and it's listed in the Vewlix manual.

https://imgur.com/a/8PvsudL
Yes, I bought for my E3 along with the lock plate because mine didn’t have it. 2 dimple keys come with the kind lock, confirmed with yugo before I purchased.

Idk how many of the qusetions have been answered and tbh i am to lazy to read the thread but,

""**Of the non-working TTX2 units, one has a blue screen on boot. The other is mostly empty except for the board and a stick or 2 of ram.

I may try to clean them up inside and fiddle with parts, but what GPU, RAM or CPU are used, and are they still findable?

Would it be easier to just track down a good condition TTX2? Does Taito still sell them brand new? "

You can replace the ram gpu cpu power supply and case, of an x2 at any time with off the shelf pc compoents.
see
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/taito-type-x2-upgrades-and-mods.2202/

as long as the motherboard itself works, thats about all that matters,
even if you upgrade to the top end dual core its like 28$ new Gpu is 15-20 bucks ram 5-10
that cost if all of them where bad is vastly lower then a complete used working ttx2

The one with a bluescreen of death is either a corrupted windows instal iv seen it happen a few times on legit drives, and or the gpu is dead, buy a new one flash the bios using
https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...ashing-a-geforce-7900-with-elsa-979-bios.916/

Either way in both examples, id still clean the unit, and do bare minimum a ram upgrade, and ensure the cpu is bare minimum the 3.4 Ghz p4 (depending on what your x2 was used for it could have really shit cpus installed)

Then pick up a new ssd and burn nikos multi to it call it a day

Idk how many of the qusetions have been answered and tbh i am to lazy to read the thread but,

""**Of the non-working TTX2 units, one has a blue screen on boot. The other is mostly empty except for the board and a stick or 2 of ram.

I may try to clean them up inside and fiddle with parts, but what GPU, RAM or CPU are used, and are they still findable?

Would it be easier to just track down a good condition TTX2? Does Taito still sell them brand new? "

You can replace the ram gpu cpu power supply and case, of an x2 at any time with off the shelf pc compoents.
see
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/taito-type-x2-upgrades-and-mods.2202/

as long as the motherboard itself works, thats about all that matters,
even if you upgrade to the top end dual core its like 28$ new Gpu is 15-20 bucks ram 5-10
that cost if all of them where bad is vastly lower then a complete used working ttx2

The one with a bluescreen of death is either a corrupted windows instal iv seen it happen a few times on legit drives, and or the gpu is dead, buy a new one flash the bios using
https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...ashing-a-geforce-7900-with-elsa-979-bios.916/

Either way in both examples, id still clean the unit, and do bare minimum a ram upgrade, and ensure the cpu is bare minimum the 3.4 Ghz p4 (depending on what your x2 was used for it could have really shit cpus installed)

Then pick up a new ssd and burn nikos multi to it call it a day
That's great news! Thanks for all the useful information!
I look forward to hopefully being able to get one of the Type X2 units running.

Does the model number (208A and 209A) make a difference in what RAM, CPU or GPU will fit?

Shouldn't its an LGA 775 Socket, any Cpu that has the 1066? Frontside bus speed, should run, the later core 2 dous with 1333 will not work.
making the core 2 extreme 2.93 the top of the line,

Due to PC IPC performace, basicly any of the dual cores above 2.7 ghz should roughly be as good as the stock P4 in single threaded workloads aka the games.
and gain alot more performance in mame, and other custom software,

thus the higher clocked chips are even faster then stock, by a wee bit.
that being said the 3.4 Ghz P4 should be the baseline, If running x2 titles, since some of the fighters shipped with that specfic cpu in mind,
so if you have a 2.4 ghz Celron, as some of the deluxe/crappy games used. the stock p4 is 100% the base requirement id slap in it.

Far as model numbers Some games i think bug out on other models, no idea why

Oh far as gpu, you have to use the 7900 With an elsa bios.

Far as ram, shouldnt matter, you could put up to 4 probably

Yea a lot of times a BSOD on the X2 is a dead GPU.

Any model X2 208A and above willl be fine. There is apparently a bug in the BIOS before 208A that causes issues with KOF XIII.

Shouldn't its an LGA 775 Socket, any Cpu that has the 1066? Frontside bus speed, should run, the later core 2 dous with 1333 will not work.

Due to PC IPC performace, basicly any of the dual cores above 2.7 ghz should roughly be as good as the stock P4 in single threaded workloads aka the games.

that being said the 3.4 Ghz P4 should be the baseline, If running x2 titles, since some of the fighters shipped with that specfic cpu in mind,
so if you have a 2.4 ghz Celron, as some of the deluxe/crappy games used. the stock p4 is 100% the base requirement id slap in it.

I mainly want to run TTX2 games, and plan to use Niko's multi. (Although trying to add mame games later isn't out of the question. I mainly really want the TTX2 ones to run well.)

With that in mind, I have read the full thread to do my part in understanding, but could still use some clarity on a few things:
  • RAM - Just any DDR2 800? Dual 2 GB sticks?
  • GPU (How to avoid a 7900 that draws too much power, just isn't compatible, or won't fit in the TTX2 case?)
  • How many fans could I replace without soldering?
  • Is it possible to get the TTX2 PSU replaced, since it's seen years of use and I don't want it to damage anything?
  • I'm also a bit curious what role the Vewlix cabinet PSU plays, since the monitor and lights work while it's unhooked (to protect the 100V PSU while the cabinet is on 120V wall power for simple MAME usage) and I think the TTX2 unit has its own internal PSU, unless that's mistaken.
Do you have any tips on how to find new components at those kinds of prices?
My searches have lead to things like $80 and $100 CPUs and GPUs.
Would you perhaps be willing to share some exact purchase recommendations?

I mainly want to run TTX2 games, and plan to use Niko's multi. (Although trying to add mame games later isn't out of the question. I mainly really want the TTX2 ones to run well.)
With that in mind, I have read the full thread to do my part in understanding, but could still use some clarity on a few things:
  • RAM - Just any DDR2 800? Dual 2 GB sticks?
  • GPU (How to avoid a 7900 that draws too much power, just isn't compatible, or won't fit in the TTX2 case?)
  • How many fans could I replace without soldering?
  • Is it possible to get the TTX2 PSU replaced, since it's seen years of use and I don't want it to damage anything?
  • I'm also a bit curious what role the Vewlix cabinet PSU plays, since the monitor and lights work while it's unhooked (to protect the 100V PSU while the cabinet is on 120V wall power for simple MAME usage) and I think the TTX2 unit has its own internal PSU, unless that's mistaken.
Do you have any tips on how to find new components at those kinds of prices?
My searches have lead to things like $80 and $100 CPUs and GPUs.
Would you perhaps be willing to share some exact purchase recommendations?
Bud, its computer parts none of it is special .
Pc fans are not soldered lmao, they use a normal 3 pin pwm, or 4 pin molex
a 7900 Gs is a 7900 GS ....the only differance would be a dual slot card vs a single slot, for use in the x2 you want a single slot card,
You can replace the psu, if you can find one that fits, you can replace the case with a normal pc, case and use a normal atx psu.
Your correct the x2 has its own psu its a shitty gaming pc form 2005 thats it.

where am I getting my prices? 20 seconds of searching
www.ebay.com

Cpu
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...®+Core™2+Extreme+Processor+X6800&_sacat=58058
22$
Gpu
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Verto-...312939?hash=item3d8af4ef6b:g:2d0AAOSwcw9c3K2V
19$
Ram, not sure if the correct model but i think at this point you should understand
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...cat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=4gb+DDR2

Should also mention your not ever going to find "new" compoents for a computer thats 12 years old, that are remotely priced reasonably for what they are.

This stuff isnt like a harddrive, it dosent magically die, least in our lifetime, unless it was due to overheat or some kind of internal damage.
Ram, cpus, gpus as long as they are taken care of work thats it.
Now, would i buy a used powersupply No, as those do degrade and fail over time, as with mechanical hard-drives.

Last edited:
Should also mention your not ever going to find "new" compoents for a computer thats 12 years old, that are remotely priced reasonably for what they are.

This stuff isnt like a harddrive, it dosent magically die, least in our lifetime, unless it was due to overheat or some kind of internal damage.
Ram, cpus, gpus as long as they are taken care of work thats it.
Now, would i buy a used powersupply No, as those do degrade and fail over time, as with mechanical hard-drives.
Thanks for the clarifications and examples! :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong. I did put some effort into searching, and I'm familiar with computer parts. When you mentioned "top end dual core its like 28$ new Gpu is 15-20 bucks" I probably misunderstood your wording. I definitely admit inexperience with some of this stuff, and I appreciate the info and corrections!

Some of my questions were related to points raised in that thread.
(The GPU power draw thing, mentions of having to solder certain fans in, etc.)
Others were because I've seen odd complications even with PC building*, and wasn't sure how finicky the X2 motherboard may be.
* (RAM that looks like the correct spec but doesn't work with certain motherboards, motherboards requiring a BIOS flash for certain CPUs to work, etc.)

You also raised a good point on how PSUs degrade over time. That's why I wanted to know what kind the TTX2 needs.
If I understand you correctly, I would assume it's just a standard PC PSU no different than those in North America

and most units at or above the needed wattage should work.

The information seems clearer now. Thanks. I appreciate the explanations.

PM sent. I have a good bit of hands on experience working on the hardware itself.
I'm also interested in the hardware details. Maybe we can create an X2 hardware specific thread and sticky it?

Back