What's new

Someone Else

Student
Reaction score
Greetings. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their arcade projects! There's nothing else like arcade goodness.

I would like some tips on getting actual arcade hardware up and running and what I'll need to finally get my prized possession into an arcade authentic coin-op state.

This is a long and multi-part question, because there's a lot I'm unfamiliar with.

First, questions about the parts:

What I have is:
**Of the non-working TTX2 units, one has a blue screen on boot. The other is mostly empty except for the board and a stick or 2 of ram.

I may try to clean them up inside and fiddle with parts, but what GPU, RAM or CPU are used, and are they still findable?

Would it be easier to just track down a good condition TTX2? Does Taito still sell them brand new?

Things I know I'd like to order:
  • A 2 player harness (I think that's part L300570B in the manual, K Harness-(1J6B), but it's difficult to tell whether that's the right harness)
  • A new I/O card if the one I have wouldn't work (Part easy to find in catalog, but not sure of cost)
  • A new marquee topper/ instruction panel (Both parts easy to find in catalog, but not sure of cost)
  • Extra locks & keys of both types (The dimple key isn't listed, but the lock is listed as E5000678A "KIND LOCK-(LARGE RING)-(ROHS). Perhaps the key comes with it?
  • A Taito ashtray to put coins in (Does anyone know the part number?)
  • Optional: Some kind of arcade key chain from Taito, if they have one
  • Optional: Some of the L-shaped quick disconnects that I've never seen on anything else but the Vewlix cabinet: https://imgur.com/bUEyYJU https://imgur.com/1wUqqk7 (The part number for that seems elusive.)
Tips on anything I missed would be much appreciated. (Or a ballpark estimate on those parts if anyone has an idea.)

Lastly, Questions on the actual process:

I would like to run a multi-drive in the TTX2. Does that require the freeware multi from the pinned thread?
A Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multigame.[.820/url]

Also, if I have some games on the multi-drive and others from another source meant to be run on a PC, is it possible to somehow add the latter to the multi-drive?

@rancor can potentially help with the ashtray

Also the multi by Niko for ttx2 is pretty godlike as I have it on my ttx2

Let's see...

Normal locks and keys you can get straight from Taito. Dimple key, I'm not sure. Ops key their coin boxes per arcade, so I'm not sure if there's a "usual" key/lock set, but it can't hurt to ask Yugo.

Marquees haven't been sold in years last I knew. Especially the F marquees that have the light diffusing bit in the bottom, those are far harder to come by.

K harness is what you're after, and you should talk to @Lemony Vengeance about buying one. He's cheaper than the original, equal or better quality too.

Taito JVS I/O's are like 240 new IIRC. Not sure if they're still selling them. They pop up far cheaper on YAJ. You don't need a Fast I/O most likely (shoot a pic of the rear panel of both X2's and I can tell you for sure). Your IO isn't either of the usual ones in a Vewlix. Can you snag the part number off of it? I'd be interested to see what it is.

TTX2's: I still suggest transplanting the video card, IO, and CPU from the one that doesn't work to the one that only has RAM. It's just a PC, and you'd be wasting money having someone else try it for you. You don't even need any special tools, just some patience, and maybe a youtube video or two about installing a CPU. They definitely don't sell them new anymore, and if they had, it'd be cost prohibitive for certain. Better to scour YAJ or here.

Let's see...

Normal locks and keys you can get straight from Taito.
Slightly off-topic but how are you guys sending money wires to Taito? I used Transferwise and it got bounced back several times. They even emailed me back with a different branch name but it just keeps getting sent back. Transferwise only charges like $5 or $6 vs my bank who charges $50......maybe thats why Transferwise is cheap, it doesn't work? lol

Let's see...

Slightly off-topic but how are you guys sending money wires to Taito? I used Transferwise and it got bounced back several times. They even emailed me back with a different branch name but it just keeps getting sent back. Transferwise only charges like $5 or $6 vs my bank who charges $50......maybe thats why Transferwise is cheap, it doesn't work? lol
I use chase bank global transfer, only costs $5 too

Let's see...

Do you bank with them or can I just go to the Chase branch with cash in hand?

Let's see...

I bank with them.

Let's see...

I bank with them.
Ah-ha, that's why. I need to switch banks.

Let's see...

Physically go into whatever bank you use and ask them about international wire transfers. There will likely be a fee.

I also use Chase. Before that I was using a local credit union and did int'l wire transfers in person. Ran me like $45 each time though.

Let's see...

Normal locks and keys you can get straight from Taito. Dimple key, I'm not sure. Ops key their coin boxes per arcade, so I'm not sure if there's a "usual" key/lock set, but it can't hurt to ask Yugo.

Marquees haven't been sold in years last I knew. Especially the F marquees that have the light diffusing bit in the bottom, those are far harder to come by.

K harness is what you're after, and you should talk to @Lemony Vengeance about buying one. He's cheaper than the original, equal or better quality too.

Taito JVS I/O's are like 240 new IIRC. Not sure if they're still selling them. They pop up far cheaper on YAJ. You don't need a Fast I/O most likely (shoot a pic of the rear panel of both X2's and I can tell you for sure). Your IO isn't either of the usual ones in a Vewlix. Can you snag the part number off of it? I'd be interested to see what it is.

TTX2's: I still suggest transplanting the video card, IO, and CPU from the one that doesn't work to the one that only has RAM. It's just a PC, and you'd be wasting money having someone else try it for you. You don't even need any special tools, just some patience, and maybe a youtube video or two about installing a CPU. They definitely don't sell them new anymore, and if they had, it'd be cost prohibitive for certain. Better to scour YAJ or here.
That is a lot of useful info, and much appreciated.

You have offered huge help from the start, even about where to find the cabinet, and it has been extra helpful.
It uplifts an already amazing hobby to have people like yourself helping other arcade fans simply for sharing the joy.

Images of the TTX2 units and the model number of the I/O board:
https://imgur.com/a/Bohm6UY

You're good for a normal JVS IO. Only 1 of your X2's has it, but it's the normal one and not the card for the Fast IO, so that's a big plus in the way that normal Vewlix IO's are way easier to find.

What you have is a Riverservice JVS IO. I'll poke around and see if you can use it plug and play or not. I /think/ they're keyed for Sega cabs, but can't remember.

Extra locks & keys of both types (The dimple key isn't listed, but the lock is listed as E5000678A "KIND LOCK-(LARGE RING)-(ROHS). Perhaps the key comes with it?
Those Dimple locks are Sega locks used on the Blast City and Net City Cabs. Not only are they the wrong locks for Vewlix but the shaft is larger than a normal lock which means it wont fit any of the specialty tangs in the machine, like the one on the control panel latch.

proper locks for a Vewlix is the "FIRST LY-1153" tube locks. (Taito PN: E5000630A for the lock E5000631A for the key)

IIRC Taito will charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 per lock but you can find a set of 4 with keys used for about $60 on Yahoo auctions.

IIRC Taito will charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 per lock but you can find a set of 4 with keys used for about $60 on Yahoo auctions.
I think I paid $54 for a set of 4 and keys through Taito. @ekorz would know, he made the order. I certainly didn't pay $100+ though.

Interesting, last time I emailed them about ordering some locks the prices were high enough that it was a straight up NO THANKS!

price on the E29/E2 locks even higher IIRC something like $75 per for the monitor version. maybe there's a bulk quantity discount?

E5000630A LOCK LY-1153 SINGLE(F750-MSDS) @JPY1,040
E5000631A KEY LY-1153(F750-MSDS) @JPY650

I ordered 10 locks and 4 keys, and I think @rewrite promptly lost his set. ;)

PCB Door
Coin Door
Service Door
Back Panel
Control Panel

But you need to order a minimum of $100 of stuff, and shipping will be extra (and via ems probably)

You're good for a normal JVS IO. Only 1 of your X2's has it, but it's the normal one and not the card for the Fast IO, so that's a big plus in the way that normal Vewlix IO's are way easier to find.

What you have is a Riverservice JVS IO. I'll poke around and see if you can use it plug and play or not. I /think/ they're keyed for Sega cabs, but can't remember.
The Sega thing would make sense, because the place I got it from has largely dealt with Sega cabs.

I wasn't sure if it was JAMMA or JVS, since it says "JAMMA IO" on it, so thanks for letting me know!

Any other info you may find on it could definitely be useful.

I wasn't sure if it was JAMMA or JVS, since it says "JAMMA IO" on it, so thanks for letting me know!
Technically speaking JAMMA is the name of the association that came up with the standard PCB edge connector we all know and love (the Japanese Amusement Machine and Marketing Association)

and to make things more confusing the J in JVS stands for JAMMA. eg: the "JAMMA Video Standard".

so you do end up with a lot of things labeled "JAMMA" even if they don't have a JAMMA edge connector anywhere on them.

Back