What's new

Someone Else

Student
Reaction score
Greetings! Hopefully everyone is doing well and enjoying their arcade projects.

So I've been in the process of getting finally rounding up parts for running a TTX2 in a Vewlix F, and one of the things I could use is quieter fans in the cabinet itself.
(The stock ones sound almost like turning on a jet engine or vacuum cleaner inside the cabinet.)

With quieter fans, it would be easier to hear the wonderful game sounds at lower volumes.

How can I open just the parts of the cabinet required to change the fans, and what sizes would I need as replacements?

Would Noctua fans (or similar quiet fans) fit in place of the current super loud ones?

You only need to remove the bottom rear door for one, and for the other it's easiest to remove the monitor.

And there's a Noctua fan model people suggest over in the Vewlix owner's appreciation thread IIRC. I actually need to order a pair for the new cab.

You only need to remove the bottom rear door for one, and for the other it's easiest to remove the monitor.

And there's a Noctua fan model people suggest over in the Vewlix owner's appreciation thread IIRC. I actually need to order a pair for the new cab.
Thanks yet again, Rewrite!

You are always on the scene with good info!

The beautiful cabs are very much worth the noise, but the stock fans really do make a lot of it, don't they?

@Geddon are you measuring the radius of the fans instead of the entire fan width?

Both of the fans you can see when you look at the back of the Vewlix are 120mm.

@Geddon are you measuring the radius of the fans instead of the entire fan width?

Both of the fans you can see when you look at the back of the Vewlix are 120mm.
Depends on the cab? The two visible are 60mm on mine I’m pretty sure. Here is that 120mm fan next to the fans I have on the back of the cab

Attachments

• A20C0F53-C635-47D7-8330-93CB183A0C77.jpeg
    A20C0F53-C635-47D7-8330-93CB183A0C77.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 260
For this particular cab this noctua seems like the best replacement, someone recommended it somewhere. Nf-a6x25 flx

Attachments

• 253BF8CE-45BC-4FE2-9A2D-A35149452674.jpeg
    253BF8CE-45BC-4FE2-9A2D-A35149452674.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 250
Depends on the cab?
Apparently!?

The only number I've ever seen thrown around is 120mm, and I measured the ones in mine before taking that pic. But those sure look smaller than 120mm on yours!

That's different to the F I have, @Geddon. On my F the 120mm fan is to the left of the bottom back door that opens up to the PCB area, and there are no fans on the exterior next to the monitor service door (the fans are on the monitor enclosure).

Strange. I didn’t know there were so many different versions. One of my friends had the idea of running two 12v fans in place of one 24v. Not sure where I would put the extra but that sounded like an interesting idea. I told him about how the monitor displays an annoying message when you replace the 24v with a 12v and he said we can probably trick the monitor pretty easily with a simple circuit. I’ll follow up with whatever we try in case someone is interested.

That's different to the F I have, @Geddon. On my F the 120mm fan is to the left of the bottom back door that opens up to the PCB area, and there are no fans on the exterior next to the monitor service door (the fans are on the monitor enclosure).
That's what I'd remembered from mine, but I haven't had an F in about a year so I couldn't say for certain.

I guess it can't hurt to ask, @Geddon, are you sure your cab's original?

That's what I'd remembered from mine, but I haven't had an F in about a year so I couldn't say for certain.
I guess it can't hurt to ask, @Geddon, are you sure your cab's original?
beats me, looks like an F to me.

Attachments

• B2969FD1-7FC8-4355-AE7F-B5E7F4A9D87F.jpeg
    B2969FD1-7FC8-4355-AE7F-B5E7F4A9D87F.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 215
  • 743CDA8E-820C-4D4D-9E18-9C77E547CBE4.jpeg
    743CDA8E-820C-4D4D-9E18-9C77E547CBE4.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 215
It's definitely legit.

The model number is different to the one I have. My F is AGM-MA. Also, the power consumption is less on yours (mine is 330W), so it's a newer revision most likely with a different screen.

Back