What's new

Johnsutt69

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all new to this forum.
I really hope you can help. Setting up a vista unit to run mame hope to get cab soon. But would really like to hide all vistas boot screens. Anyone know how to do this. Was easy in Xp just change the registry but can not find how to do this in vista all help greatly appreciated

Hi thought of that but hardwares not got any Xp driver support so stuck with vista.

Welcome! Why not install XP? Maybe @acblunden2 knows...
Welcome to the Arcade-Projects @Johnsutt69!

I am guessing, the only reason you would use Vista is that you don't have an install disc of Windows 7 that you can register. Am I correct? That's no excuse. Use Windows 7 6-bit. Vista is garbage and it is a mistake to use XP for MAME (Calimity himself told me that).

Find a clean ISO of Windows 7 64-bit and burn it to a USB drive for quick installation using Rufus (burn as BIOS boot, not GPT/UEFI). Use Daz Windows Loader 2.22 (from mydigitallife.com) to register it.

Can't help you if you are using Vista. Get 7 going and we can start talking.

FYI, 7 should have Vista drivers integrated when you install it.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome and will try win 7/64 later today will let you all know how it go’s later

Excellent advice to skip Windows Vista, its a horrible old system, much like how bad Windows ME and Windows 8 was :D Windows 7 and 10 are both good solid systems.

Welcome @Johnsutt69

This should get you started once you get Windows 7 running:
First, none of my MAME builds that are stuffed in a cab or are set to have Windows hidden ever get on the Internet. I download offline updates and install them. These are the only undates, programs, and codecs I install. And I install them in exactly this order:
  1. Windows Servicing Stack Update 2015
  2. Whatever is the latest Windows 7 Convenience Roll-up Pack (I am still using the first ever convenience roll-up pack ever released on my builds)
  3. Direct X Runtimes
  4. Visual C++ 2010 x64
  5. Visual C++ 2013 x64
  6. Visual C++ 2010 x86
  7. Visual C++ 2013 x86
  8. Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
  9. 7zip
  10. CCCP Codec Pack (it's lightweight and only installs the codecs I need for MAME video snaps)
Then follow these two tips and you should be good to go:

Windows 7 should be completely hidden after that.

Back