What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
So now one of my monitors will have the image shrink, and then resize to the size of the screen whenever the screen flashes white. It looks a bit like when you first turn a TV on and the image comes up to fill the screen from the center. I tried to capture it with my phone but it doesn't capture right :/

What kind of issue is this? I know I've read about it somewhere...

Similar to image bloom. Doesn’t it have to do with HV regulation?! God, so sad I have forgotten all this stuff. I could have built you a complete chassis in the past. That’s what almost 20 years of doing real estate will do your electronics knowledge.

Yeah same on my MS9 in the Cyberlead.
For example when there is a big white ‘insert coin’ text flashing you can see it image pulsing.

Always figured it could be caused by aging caps, but as long as the image is crisp and clean and stable with normal gameplay I will not bother to replace them

Aging caps might or might not have any effect on it. Depends on the monitor.

It's a character trait of older monitors. The effect is especially pronounced on MS8s. Personally I like it, it's part of the charm of CRT monitors for me. A huge explosion happens in a shooting game and the picture literally blows out of the screen.

Anyway, if it's a newer monitor, you could try adjusting ABL (automatic brightness limiter). MS9 and anything newer will have it. Also, lowering brightness and contrast will help.

@nem this one definitely isn't just charm. It's very very unstable. SamSho intro as my example :

When the two lanterns come up and light bright white the whole screen shrinks and resizes maybe 10-20% rapidly until they're cut down with the sword. Then in the two instances where the screen goes full white it goes down some 90% and takes a good second or so to restabilize.

Plus the image kind of just floats around 5-6 pixels in any direction and back anyway....

I tried lowering the brightness but it hasn't improved anything. I'm pretty sure it is a Toei TC-HV19LMS.

Omigosh.

@nem you think this is related? :S

xRV6BtJ.jpg

Honestly never seen a CRT *not* do this to some extent, even back in the day. Although I think Trinitrons have tech to minimize it. But yeah, if it's a newly developed thing, I'd start with caps. The above pic doesn't concern me -- it seems it worked to your satisfaction until recently.

I think that chassis is only alive because someone really really wanted it to be. honestly the trace repairs don't look toooo bad, but the number of them is a little disturbing. I'm a little curious what caused it? What kind of cab is this for again? I'm wondering if that behavior is in line with the cab or not?

And i'll agree that it's somewhat normal, definitely a common thing on ms8. but it shouldn't be extreme. I would try recapping the board if it looks like the caps are original.

It's definitely extreme. I know everyone keeps saying "every CRT does that", and they certainly do to a degree, but if you saw it in person you'd know that something is definitely wrong with it. I've owned dozens and dozens of arcade cabinets and a bunch of TVs in my life. This one isn't normal. Ha.

It's my Neo19. Bought it from a TV repair place where it apparently sat for a decade or so. They told me they'd fix up the chassis before I got it as it was not working. The caps do all appear to be new (now 3+ years old, but they're very obviously not as old as the rest of the components). Maybe they really really wanted it to be fixed because they wanted the sale...

When it got home it worked great, played a bunch for a few days, then it wasn't used for a long long time as I had a proper full sized Neo cab. Then I moved, sold the big Neo back to the friend who I bought it off of, and now turning it on, this...

I wonder if one of those tiny repairs broke during the move.

Keeping it not used a very long time isn't good for caps either. When you turn it on afterwards the caps might not "heal" themselves anymore properly (unless done a specific way, which isn't very easy to do when they are already installed) - or the leakage current is high during the process and this current may damage other components. I have seen myself couple of times that a long time stored thing works very well for a while and then the caps start to leak utterly... Electrolytic caps actually have a specified shelf time, which is usually around two years.

No idea what's going on with those trace repairs, because the actual traces on the board don't look bad.

Anyway, if they're poor quality caps, they could already be done for.

the problem is the main smoothing cap not handling the current demand.
it was common on G07's
i used to see this problem on defender and missile command when the game cycled the background colours !

it's very important that the replacement has the highest ripple current rating you can find - atleast as good as the factory part.

the problem is the main smoothing cap not handling the current demand.
it was common on G07's
i used to see this problem on defender and missile command when the game cycled the background colours !

it's very important that the replacement has the highest ripple current rating you can find - atleast as good as the factory part.
So it could be also possible that they replaced the smoothing cap with just something on the shelf instead of the right part.

Filter and smoothing are interchangeable terms here, aren't they?

it's possible they just matched the capacitance and voltage.
size maybe be a givaway - is the bad one smaller than factory?

size maybe be a givaway - is the bad one smaller than factory?
Think we have a winner. It's about 1/3 the size of the silkscreen.

The rest of the repair work on here is a little nuts. They REALLY wanted this to come back to life. And it has a lovely picture aside from the extreme resizing.

https://imgur.com/a/BU1F7Iw

Back