What's new

wolffworkshop

Student
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for an amp and speaker setup for my home cab build? ebay is full of Wangma kits but I have no idea if they’re any good. Opinions would be gladly received. Ben

Have you considered wiring non-amplified speakers directly? (usually ~10W 8 ohm) they are readily available very cheap from local classified ads. The when storing them is to keep them away from tubes :S

If you are looking for a very good quality amplifier take a look at Yaqin, they are good priced valve amplifier. I've heard the MC-10T and it's fantastic. Although the valves are hot and I'm not sure if that's acceptable for your setup.

Last edited:
Hi, just checked the Yaqin out and I was think sub £50 so that’s out I think. I don’t need an amp but it gives you tone controls and a headphone out plus volume so it seems a good idea to have one. I used to be into Naim Audio hi-fi in a big way a long time ago, but have no idea where to start on something like this.

You need to give more details.

Price range?
How are you going to use them?
How are you connecting things?
Are you building your own speaker boxes or mounting then to your own cab?
Do you want prebuilt speakers? Full range? 2 way / 3 way?
What your expected watt per channel?
Do you need a sub?
If you are going to use headphones, whats the impedance you need to drive them? 32/80/250/300/600??
Etc....
So many options, always fun setting up stuff like this :)

MAME guys pioneered the usage of the cheap Lepai amps. Then followed that with the TDA7297 amps. They are excellent for MAME applications up even through the CPS2 boards. These are the go to amps for bartop cabs as well. Even us arcade snobs use them. If you are looking for play with modern consoles and modern PC games, shoot for a nice set of PC speakers and integrate them into your cab somehow.

Bear in mind, you're two feet from a cab's speakers. Getting a audiophile amp to play mono sound produces from most arcade games is overkill. But I have no idea what your application is.

Thanks for the info. Is the TDA7297 amp really ok for a bartop? My prototype is attached. There were 2 reviews on eBay, one said it was great the other said it was unusable! I'll be mounting the speakers to fire downwards above the monitor. I'm not sure how to narrow down the speaker options available through ebay so any recommendations would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 155
TDA7297 will work just fine for your build. You'll just need a DC adapter to power it.

Thanks for the list of possibilities! I found these:

Pioneer TS-G1020F Speakers, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07574Y2GY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XgqADbDK23V44

You need to give more details.

And these:

Pioneer TS-G1030F Speakers, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0756WW942/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6hqADbZ7Q1QBN

Coaxial or triaxial, I’m not sure how best to go forward with choosing apart from the triaxial are free postage!

I’m not after a sub or anything as I’m trying to keep the size down. These are both “full range” so might be ok. Your opinion would be valued! Thanks, Ben

Price range?
How are you going to use them?
How are you connecting things?
Are you building your own speaker boxes or mounting then to your own cab?
Do you want prebuilt speakers? Full range? 2 way / 3 way?
What your expected watt per channel?
Do you need a sub?
If you are going to use headphones, whats the impedance you need to drive them? 32/80/250/300/600??
Etc....
So many options, always fun setting up stuff like this :)

Back