What's new

wolffworkshop

Student
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me identify the graphic issue I have on this board? It breaks up on multiple sprites.
C4AF4BCA-8B7F-489F-AEAB-42BACBF796BA.jpeg

Looks similar to the C board issues that @undamned is working to provide a fix for. I have similar sprite issues on a Willow boardset that several folks on the forum seem to think is a C board issue.

That said, if you're comfortable with it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify voltages (off the PSU, at the JAMMA connector, and at a few chips), reseat the connectors between each board, and it might help to reseat the ROMs on the B board. Again, though, it looks very similar to the symptoms of a failing C board.

I'd try to gently press the CPS-B-21 chip (without touching its legs) while the board is running to check if that solves or modifies the behavior. Sometimes the solder joints get cracked and need to be resoldered.

Thanks for your suggestions. I also have a SF2WW which has a non functioning A board for whatever reason. When I put this A board on it it all works but shows very similar issues to this SF2CE. That makes me think I have a currently dead A board and a currently dodgy A board.

It could well be an A board fault, if possible though it's worth verifying the mask ROMs. They're a common failure on SF2.

If you get the same fault on both B+C combinations, that's less likely but still possible

I'd try to gently press the CPS-B-21 chip (without touching its legs) while the board is running to check if that solves or modifies the behavior. Sometimes the solder joints get cracked and need to be resoldered.
I have a set of IDC cables that will let me put the A board on top too so I can have a fiddle. I’m just getting started in the fiddling with boards etc.

Back