What's new

Nebula

Professional
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a japanese motherboard of Kaneko Super Nova System that lacks blue color and I want to get it back to fully working condition. Board has already some repairs done near the jamma edge, right before RGB pins. Someone replaced two of the signal amplifiers by some big ugly ones that I'm sure are the culprit of color issue:

H3ZK8rth.jpg

Problem is I cannot find any original replacement out there. Original amplifier (middle one) is labeled as RF-69 and packaged as SOT-223 (3 + 1 pins), but I have no further information to find spares to replace big ones.

I also have another motherboard having the original amplifiers from factory:

x9lNqcWh.jpg

Any help to locate good replacement would be grateful welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nebula, this the replacement fixed your issue? I’m having sort of the same problem with my kaneko system, on the crt test the outcome is missing the red and the right values.

I was wondering if this has something to do with it.

That's a run of the mill transistor. RF means it's a compound material, high frequency type. It should be easily replaced by pretty much any transistor of the same type.
The package type is SOT89-3. Some googling should enable you to find something that works fine.

I have a similar issue with a Super Nova board that has a green-tinged output. I'll have to research on suitable replacement transistors later on...

I have a similar issue with a Super Nova board that has a green-tinged output. I'll have to research on suitable replacement transistors later on...
The transistor doesn't have to be exactly the same, just close enough. Same pinout, similar gain and it will work ok. You can swap all three to ensure the colours are balanced.
Check the resistor connected to the base just in case it failed.
You can do a simple test: swap the one you think is bad with one of the others. The tint will change from green to red or blue if it's bad.

thanks for the answers! I’m having this issue with my cyvern conversion on the crt test:
61C99833_17D5_4A3C_9EF6_2C18637C7378.jpeg

So the colors seems normal at first but within the game the background starts mixing colors.

Could this be the mask roms on the conversion cart or seems to be something with the main board? I tested the amplifiers values and seems to be normal however I don’t know if this could be something that is being affected by it.

Any assistance would be appreciate if.

Regards

Seeing that image, clearly your problem is lack of red color. The output stage of the RGB signal is on the motherboard, and maybe the culprit is the same transistor as we talked in this thread. In particular, this one:

kaneko2.jpg

I checked that one and I get the same values for the 3 transistors, do you think even that could still be failing?

I want to add that the coloration within the game looks good, until some parts that starts failing on the background from the 2nd stage and some bosses colors missing.

So at first you see the intro of the game and looks good, no tint issue or anything, is until you start playing it that notice it.

Last edited:
Your test mode screen is 'wrong', it's missing red as @Nebula stated.
Does the problem always happen in the same places? Or after some time?
Photos would be very helpful.

Always happen in the same places, but it start to fail more after some time playing it.

Back