What's new

Kiwi

Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my first candy cab (a Sega Blast City) and I noticed this issue with the monitor. I can't find a name for it, but it seems like all images are multiplied to the right a couple times. I've done some searching, but I wasn't able to find other examples of this issue. I may have just not been looking in the right places or using the right terminology, but It has been bothering me that I can't find any resources for this problem. I'd really appreciate the expertise of the Arcade Projects forum here. Does it just need a recap?
unknown.png
IMG_20190906_134625.jpg

Also, this is what my remote board looks like. I got some advice from someone on Discord that had to do with dip switches, but I don't have any of those
image.jpg

The monitor is an MS-2933

Does it do this with actual PCBs as well? Or a PC or 360?

Sometimes those cheap multi games just have weird graphical stuff going on.

Last edited:
Convergence issue, which will require the rings of the yoke to be adjusted, which should be performed by someone experienced in these matters.

Does it do this with actual PCBs as well? Or a PC or 360?

Sometimes those cheap multi games just have weird graphical stuff going on.
The second attached picture is from my Strikers 1945 II board, so it's not just the Pandora's Box.

Convergence issue, which will require the rings of the yoke to be adjusted, which should be performed by someone experienced in these matters.
Oh, I never thought of that. I was under the impression that convergence issues only had to do with colors being misaligned like on the corners of most Blast City monitors. If that's the root cause, that would probably be a lot cheaper to pay someone to do than recapping everything.

This doesn't look like a convergence issue to me. Bad convergence would result in red green and blue not being aligned with one another. This is ghosting similar to what you see on a 1CHIP SNES. It's probably a bad Cap in the monitor chassis if I had to guess.

When old monitors have issues and you don't know anything about them other than the caps are original... I would always suggest doing a full cap kit on it, then measuring B+, and then trying to calibrate from that point.

Oh, I never thought of that. I was under the impression that convergence issues only had to do with colors being misaligned like on the corners of most Blast City monitors. If that's the root cause, that would probably be a lot cheaper to pay someone to do than recapping everything.
Paying someone to come out to you to adjust the rings would definitely run more than what caps would cost you. House calls aren't cheap.

Recapping is just a couple of hours with a soldering iron and the cost of caps!

that's not a convergence issue, it looks like a signal issue but could be related to bad caps. I have seen bad quality vga cables cause similar issues

there is a 10uf 250v cap on the neck card that produces similar issues on other chassis, also you should check solder joints on the crt socket
pretty sure that is a nanao ms2931 from the remote

I had a similar issue on my weiya trisync, recapping solved the issue for me.

It feels good to have a definitive answer to this problem, thanks guys ;)

I'll figure out how to recap later, right now I'm gonna start playing more.

Back