What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
I have the Capcom I/O board. All the sudden the NAOMI has decided to give me this error. I am sure to make sure all the connections are made (USB, Audio, Power, Video). I have swapped out the USB cable. I have cleaned the I/O edge connector. I have removed the top half of the case to expose/access the 2nd USB port. Still I get the same error. I must say that there has been a recent period where I could not get power to the NAOMI through the Capcom I/O JAMMA connector.

Anyone have experience with this issue and was able to solve it? I suspect it may be a power supply issue, but I won't be able to test that until the JST connectors come in. I also have another NAOMI board coming in with an different I/O board. But I would hate it if my current I/O board is bad since it is the Capcom board.

Close this one up boys. Seems to be a power supply issue. I put the NAOMI in another cab with a arcade switching power supply, and she fired right up. The regular NAOMI cab has one of those Peter Chou power supplies that must be dying. Phewwww, *wipes sweat from brow*.

really glad it was a simple fix AC. Naomi is so damn fickle about voltage. I hadn't turned my naomi cab on in a while so I fired it up the other day and was getting screen freezes, then black screens and error screens. Sure enough the voltage was not "right on" and after a little adjustment, she worked like a champ

really glad it was a simple fix AC. Naomi is so damn fickle about voltage. I hadn't turned my naomi cab on in a while so I fired it up the other day and was getting screen freezes, then black screens and error screens. Sure enough the voltage was not "right on" and after a little adjustment, she worked like a champ
Begs the question if the guys that use ATX power ever have these problems: NAOMI not powering up, No video on screen, JVS I/O Not Found. I'd imagine ATX power is more stable than 15+ year old arcade PSU's.

Iknowa lot of people having troubles with atx psu too.
The main fact is that Japanese cab are normally running at 100v.
When you use an step-down converter like in Europe, you have 230v to 110v.( but sometimes you have 240v or 220v)
Caps have an tolerance, 10% or 15%,depending model, etc...

When thoses caps are doing older, they don't work well at 110v

Iknowa lot of people having troubles with atx psu too.
The main fact is that Japanese cab are normally running at 100v.
When you use an step-down converter like in Europe, you have 230v to 110v.( but sometimes you have 240v or 220v)
Caps have an tolerance, 10% or 15%,depending model, etc...

When thoses caps are doing older, they don't work well at 110v
good point.

Well of course now that I have successfully netbooted (thanks to twistedsymphony's excellent guide), I get the dreeded Jamma i/o board not found error message ||

IMG_2729.jpg

My IO works on the naomi with a virtual NBA cart and on non-naomi (tekken3)
IMG_2728.jpg

I have recapped one of my blast powersupply to been able to successfully use the net dimm. ( it wouldn't boot without it!)
I have now tried in both Blast.
I have adjusted the 3.3 and 5 to the following values

IMG_2725.jpg
IMG_2726.jpg

and still no go.

Could it be the 12v? which of course I can't adjust ? (on either blast) ( it ain't tie to the 5v like I've found mentionned somewhere).

IMG_2727.jpg

any pointers are welcome at this time. X/

Thanks

it's not likely a voltage issues unless they're WAY off.

more likely it's a compatibility issue with the game you're trying to run.

for the best compatibility on those Sega JVS to JAMMA IOs make sure the jumper is in the "A" position.

the jumper changes the function of the expansion IO connector
A = input for extra buttons (needed on those 6-button fighters)
B = output for lamps or billboard system (needed by virtual on, light gun games, drivers, and other games that use lamps or the billboard)

Well it was on A and just for kicks, i tried it on B and nope :(

I tried ~5 games and they all say the same thing

and you said this ONLY happens when you're running the net dimm? does the IO appear when you go into test mode?

That's right: only with net dimm and it does not show in test mode.

I just unplugged the netdimm to try virtual nba again and she's fine in test and in play mode:

IMG_2731.jpg

No, checking on the naomi.

I also checked the voltage coming in from jamma to the IO and it was 5.1. ... should I be checking it elsewhere?

Basically the error you're getting is as if the IO board is unplugged...

that's usually an indication that the IO board isn't getting power, or the USB cable is bad, or the USB port on the filterboard is bad.

it makes no sense that swapping the game cart out for a DIMM board would change that.

it makes no sense that swapping the game cart out for a DIMM board would change that.
I also tried a different USB cable before posting ..

Thanks for confirming I am not crazy and that this system is ...picky X(

the NAOMI get's it's reputation as a "picky" piece of hardware because of the shitty cart board connectors.

IIRC they're press-fit rather than soldered so what end up happening is you get a lot of voltage drops and flakey connections between the main board and the cart. Then when you're running something like a DIMM board that draw a lot of power that translates to undervoltage on the DIMM board.

the right way to fix it is to clean the connectors really well, then use screws to hold down the DIMM board tight. Then adjust voltages while reading from some point on the DIMM board itself (not the power connector on the NAOMI).

I've got a bunch of NAOMI units and the ones that I've cleaned and bolted down are rock solid and never give me any grief. the ones that I picked up on eBay, filthy and just run as-is, give me grief all the time.

I can't say I've EVER had a IO related problem that wasn't related to something like a bad JVS port or just a stupid wiring mistake on my part.

seriously my only thought here is maybe the voltage difference from the draw of the DIMM board causes it to go out of range on the IO board and not power up properly. I believe the IO boar has a relay on it you should hear it click on when it's getting good power. are you getting that? have you tested the voltages on the IO board (reading from any point OTHER than the JAMMA edge).

What games are you loading through the NetDimm?

Hopefully not anything requiring a wheel or analog sticks.

What games are you loading through the NetDimm?

Hopefully not anything requiring a wheel or analog sticks.
Ikaruga, gigawing2, capcom VS snk, meltyblood and rivalschool

as per Twistedsymphony post, I did not tighten the screws for the netdimm nor did I clean the connectors so I'll give these a shot, measure again and report back.

Thanks guys.

as per Twistedsymphony post, I did not tighten the screws for the netdimm nor did I clean the connectors so I'll give these a shot, measure again and report back.
I think you missed the point of my post.

if the games are booting then there is no issue with the cart connector on the dim board so there's no reason to clean or screw it down to help solve this issue.....

what I AM suggesting is: check the voltages on the IO board, and report back if you're hearing the relay click on the IO board.

maybe also try booting Crazy Taxi, or an atomiswave game because they have very lax IO requirements.

Back