What's new

chacal231077

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hi! Guy's :)

My biggest nightmare :cursing: since 15 years of Arcade meeting was the horrible Namco System 246 rev.B and I started with this Arcade System the Great Joy :thumbsup: LOL.

My first buy at Coinopexpress in China 300 € with Tekken 4 Rev.c no characters unlock :thumbup: greaaaaaat LOL .
I had only problems, white screen freeze screen title, blue screens with red warning message and the famous sound Wouinnnn wouinnnn wouinnnnn the thing of death ect..... :thumbup: wouaiiiiiiii better and better :evil:

I decided to inflict a bankai !!!!!!!!!! :D

946e7584b05ee330f1163cbb82f08404.jpg

I changed the Ribbon IDE by a new one like the original version called IDE ATA / 133 Single Drive 80Wires Ribbon Cable :thumbup: .

Problem partially gone but not fixed Grrrrrrr. :cursing: :cursing: .

I changed the Ribbon IDE by a new one like the original version called IDE ATA / 133 Single Drive 80 Wires Ribbon Cable.
https://www.cablesdirect.com/store/p/3494.aspx

Problem partially gone but not fixed Grrrrrrr.
So I decided to clean everything down and it was a little better but still this problem of blue screen with the sound wouinnnn wouinnnn wouinnnn :S X/

I also changed the 40 pin IDE ATA connector on the motherboard with a rectangular Shape version :thumbup: .

The only thing not changed yet was the PS2 REPAIR CONTROLLER PORT Memory Card flex ribbon.
so I took the one from another Namco System 246 Rev.B and the most problem Greatttttttttttttttttt
:thumbsup: :thumbup:

I ordered FFC Flat Flexible Cable Ribbon Wire Pitch 0.5mm AWM 20624 with 36 pin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31-36-45-5...var=522328908387&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think that the heat dust deteriorates the Flex Ribbons & IDE ATA Ribbon in time. :/ .

I also deported the backup battery 8) not at all accessible :S .

Here is the work done and the materials used :thumbup: 8) .

Andonstar ADSM302 Digital Microscope :love:

Pro'sKit SS-331H Electric Desoldering Gun :thumbup:

KSGER OLED Soldering Station FX9501 T12 :thumbsup:

Isopropyl Alcohol, 99% IPA :saint:

Cleaning Swab Swabs Cleaner Clean Sticks Tools For Printer :thumbup:

Total-30-pcs-Foam-Tip-Cleaning-Swabs-Sponge-Stick-for-Inkjet-Printer-Printhead-Camera-Cleanroom-Optical.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, we have a Vampire Night DLX which has been out of action for ages I'm gonna try the steps you have to see if that helps. Did you manage to get it fully working in the end?

I like that coin battery fix. I wonder if that same thing would work on a Neo Geo MVS unit. Seems like a clean solution to me.

Nice work, we have a Vampire Night DLX which has been out of action for ages I'm gonna try the steps you have to see if that helps. Did you manage to get it fully working in the end?
What is currently wrong? I thought it wouldn't boot due to some problems with the Rays pcb?

A bit off topic but most problems with that Rays pcb has to do with cold solder joints. A proper reflow (or similar) should do the trick?

Well remembered, yes it used to boot to just a jvs connecting screen and not get any further. We did manage to get another rays board and it booted but the moment it tried to go in game it would freeze. We checked the voltage, etc and still no joy. These boards are a real nightmare.

With regards to reflowing the rays board, which chip would you be focusing on the sh4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykpKnyZ3s0&list=PLZt0BQ_kWtYEDo55A57H6w4k6vDTXMpYa&index=25

As a matter of fact, it is near the SH-4. I'd rather not embed the video here because this user has a lot of important arcade info (through his unlisted vids). Huge credit goes to @NaokiS (oops, forgot he was registered here).

Tell me about how much of a nightmare Namco System 246s are (although I objectively seen worse). They can be overall reliable but repairs aren't fully understood yet. This is why I wish Namco System 246 had proper emulation especially with some suspicious custom chips. Do you have any other System 246 pcbs from other games to see if you can swap it in a Vampire Night to see if the issue is on the motherboard or not?

Last edited:
Namco Hardware+ Sony Hardware = Nightmare Soulcalibur :evil: lol

NAMCROTTE FRENCH VERSION OR NAMDUNG ENGLISH VERSION

yes for 15 hours without problem ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykpKnyZ3s0&list=PLZt0BQ_kWtYEDo55A57H6w4k6vDTXMpYa&index=25

As a matter of fact, it is near the SH-4. I'd rather not embed the video here because this user has a lot of important arcade info (through his unlisted vids). Huge credit goes to @NaokiS (oops, forgot he was registered here).

Tell me about how much of a nightmare Namco System 246s are (although I objectively seen worse). They can be overall reliable but repairs aren't fully understood yet. This is why I wish Namco System 246 had proper emulation especially with some suspicious custom chips. Do you have any other System 246 pcbs from other games to see if you can swap it in a Vampire Night to see if the issue is on the motherboard or not?
Thanks for the mention, glad my old video was of help! Also I wish i had known about lighting back then lol!

I have 6 of these system 246 i don't know what revision it is , gonna try to repair some of it.

Wish me luck or sell them defective lol

Back