What's new

CharGP02A

Student
Reaction score
Hello there,

My plan is to do the following:

Hook up a Namco System 12 PCB (Ehrgeiz) to https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-Arcade-Cabinet-JAMMA-p/rm-xt-alpha-jamma.htm

I have the power supply they mentioned on the page https://www.amazon.com/WINIT-Switch...D=51td28uj9KL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail.

They claim the cabinet is built to work with JAMMA out of the box. However, I'm not using a Pandora's Box like they suggested. I have the Ehrgeiz Namco System 12 board. I don't have the monitor yet but I'm getting that soon.

Game manual: https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/qr/ehrgeiz/manual.pdf

A few questions:

1. Do I have to have a monitor that only outputs 24KHz? The board supports VGA 24KHz and most monitors I see are 31 and higher.
2. Do I need to buy an AC adapter for the power supply? I never hooked up a power supply with nothing but cables before so I'm a little confused about it.
3. The game supports a 48 pin kick harness but I don't think I need it. Can someone confirm?

Ergheiz sendss 15khz 240p, not 24khz, through the jamma harness. No idea how this cab handles video though... if you just plug in an hdmi cable then surely its jamma harness is running into a scaler of some sort first??

No ac adapter, just plug in an AC cable. Green is FG (Field ground) white is AC/N(eutral), black is AC/L(ive). https://www.parts-express.com/ac-po...MI64ja4MXV5AIVLB6tBh2fuwuhEAQYASABEgKtcPD_BwE

Presumably the cab’s wiring has forked terminals on the jamma harness so you can connect up the grounds, 5v, 12v.

Get a multimeter and measure DC on the Jamma edge, turn the psu’s potentiometer so you read around 5.05v on the 5v pins, when the game is plugged in and powered on.

You either need a kick harness or you need to wire the correct pins to the jamma edge, which iirc your precious thread someone said they’d done that mod already

Good catch on the KHz. Thanks for that. Do you have a recommended brand and model for a 19" that can handle that frequency? The board doesn't have HDMI on it. Are you saying that the JAMMA harness is supposed to help take care of that? lol, see I am an arcade noob

For the power cable, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MSHD726/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So something like this wouldn't be necessary then?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IBJCAIG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a multimeter, you mean something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Mult...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Yeah, the person I bought the board off of modded it already.

Without knowing what’s in the cabinet for wiring I couldn’t help. What happens if you ask the supplier? They advertise Jamma. Most jamma is 15khz, I’d hope they would tell you how to get it going! Something is taking RGB Sync and Ground and turning them into something to input into a monitor. Even if it’s just raw signal, into a vga connector. I just don’t know what their harness looks like. Do you have a link showing the wiring?

Anyway there’s a lot of stuff out there on which monitors support 15khz natively, I guess maybe you can find one that takes it and scales itself. Otherwise yeah you need to use a scaler like you linked. Hunt around or maybe someone here has insight. There’s a thread here but a quick google found more discussion.

NON-CRT Displays that support 15KHz and 25KHz resolutions

That cable is fine, you’ll just screw down bare wire. Less elegant but it works. Don’t touch the exposed wires or terminals, that AC will hurt.

Yes that’s a multimeter. Set it to measure DC voltage and probe pins 1 and 4, for 5v for example.

When I talked to the supplier, they told me that they couldn't definitively provide answers due to the board I have. They tested this with Pandora's Boxes when they made them.

I asked them if
My JAMMA board doesn't have an HDMI output. Would I need to buy a conversion board? If so, do you have any suggestions?
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]They said:
If you jammy board does not have an HDMI output, you will need to research what type of output it does have and source a converter to connect too your TV. The easiest approach would be to upgrade it to a Pandora's box which does feature an HDMI out that will easily connect to most modern televisions.
[/quote]
[/quote]
I asked them if
So the JAMMA board outputs VGA on 24KHz, would you happen to know what I would need for that?
[/quote]They said: You would need a VGA to HDMI adapter if your 3rd party TV does not support VGA

<blockquote type="cite" class="" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; color: rgb(32, 31, 30); font-family: "Segoe UI", "Segoe UI Web (West European)", "Segoe UI", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">

[/quote]
[/quote]I asked:
If my TV supports VGA, I won't need a converter? Do TVs support multiple frequencies with VGA?
They said: We do not manufacture TV's and only manufacture controller and cabinet so we are not sure how to answer your question regarding TV frequencies, however if you can locate a TV or PC monitor with a built in VGA input, you should not need a converter. Again, the easiest thing to do would be to upgrade your JAMMA board to a modern HDMI Pandora's box.
[/quote]_________________________________________

I'll be looking to get a 19" TV that has VGA and HDMI. I have a 32" one at home so I may use that just to test. The cabinet is still in the box. I can take it out and send you more info if you'd like.

Maybe you can just ask them for a photo of the jamma harness inside the cab

I just asked them. If they don't send me one, I'll have to open the box up tomorrow and take it myself. Do you have a recommendation for a 19" TV with VGA that allows for the 15 KHz frequency? I'm struggling to find one despite the link you sent me.

Ok their harness is just a normal harness but just runs controls and power then. Video is on you to solve, they don’t have any scaler or anything. I think we outlined several methods in that other thread.

What method would you suggest from the other thread based on what's in this particular cab? A big difference here is that there's no provided monitor like there was in the Arcade 1up. Did you get a chance to check out the TV I posted here?

Some other folks are more experience with LCD based jamma stuff, but I'm the kind of person who would rather have the highest quality experience and I don't mind paying for it. I'd also want to have a flexible cab, not just a 1-game-dedicated one. So in that vein I'd probably be setting up a whole supergun-like setup inside the cab like @jassin000 does with his vewlix cabs. Then you can pick the best LCD you can find and handle the scaling up to 720/1080 with an OSSC (no lag). You should be able to play many jamma games like that, except for ones with sync rates that doesn't match your lcd. Still, I don't know the best LCD options out there, let alone at that size, or which ones would be best compatible with the OSSC.

But hey, it's your project, so you should explore the various options yourself and decide what's best for your budget and goals. If you just wanna play Ergheiz only forever and don't care about collecting more boards, don't care about lag, etc. then you can either a) find a monitor that can accept native 15khz, or b) buy one of those external scalers. I don't know which monitors accept native 15khz, and i don't have any experience with scalers other than the OSSC. I do hear the gonbes are crap but a lot of people use them!

What supergun and OSSC would you suggest? I'm going to get a list together and compare and figure out a budget.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

Minigun (various folks are selling assembled versions on eBay or here, search for it) or Home Arcade System

To connect them https://retro-access.com/collection...-cable-pro-coaxial-multicore-for-switch-boxes

For either you would wire your controls yourself into https://www.amazon.com/DB15-Breakout-Connector-Pin-Male/dp/B073RGHNVD

I would be curious if the OSSC could take the video right from the db15 on the ergheiz but I have no idea. That’s also just a one-off solution and wouldn’t work with other jamma. Might test that anyway!

Last edited:
Yeah looks like you can run a vga cable right into the OSSC, then into an lcd. No supergun required... for ergheiz anyway. That just means you could get it going without a supergun but it would not be jamma capable otherwise

Syncs at 263p, 15.73khz and 59.82hz if you want to find a monitor capable. The OSSC is upscaling to send in a 1080p signal, but not going to compensate for the 59.82hz sync rate, so your monitor will need to accept that not-exactly-60hz signal. I was just using an HP computer lcd (which had a vga port itself, but would not accept the signal)

The OSSC didn’t seem to like the interlace signal at all through the vga port, so you may need to boot it up somewhere else and set it to progressive if you go this route. Might work with some reboots or setting changes, I didn’t fiddle much.

Last edited:
If they're using pandora boxes, they're probably just utilizing the VGA port built into it. Which I don't believe needs a scaler for LCD monitors. If that's the case, you're Namco pcb probably won't be plug and play. You'll need some sort of scaler like an OSSC.

Edit: Should have read the whole thread...sorry.

This is a decent enough amount of good information. I'll dig in a bit and potentially buy some more stuff. I have a bit of time anyway since I need to clean the room the machine will be in. Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know if I have any questions. Otherwise, feel free to chime in if you have more information.

I would invest in a JAMMA shelf or drawer system.

You would need many JAMMA extensions and a place to to put your JAMMA boards as well as reaching in your cab every time to switch the dip.

If you had a shelf you could disconnect one plug and put away your board safely and grab another.

Back