What's new
i am surprised nobody has patched the dimm firmware yet - unless everybody is waiting for it to be emulated in mame.
that would be better than using ida-pro.

So the last month or so I've been trying to get CF working on my NAOMI setup. I have a modified Regular DIMM, Zero Key and CF adapter that I got from Jassin that I believe was modified/built by Mitsu. So far I've got exactly 0 games to boot. I've tried these cards:
memorypartner
Sandisk Ultra 8GB, like this one:
bhphotovideo.com/images/images…tflash_memory_1012244.jpg
Transcend 512mb Working
ebay.com/itm/311531679777?_trk…geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'm using an old XP laptop with a PCMCIA to CF adapter. I'm using known working netboot images (that work on my netboot setup) and burning them using the AMB tool, which appears to be getting the 4-digit code from the cards correctly.

Every game just goes into a loop of loading then checking memory then loading then checking memory, indefinitely. Conventional wisdom seems to state that this behavior is due to a bad write to the CF but I've burned 10 or so different cards now with at least 4 different games and the result is always the same.

What am I doing wrong here?

I've had that happen with ram that wasn't compatible in my dimm, but if you can netboot I doubt that's the case. I did have issues with 256mb cisco cards, but 512 memory partner worked fine.

One thing you could try is swapping the last two digits with the first two so if it was for example 8087 try 8780. I've always gotten the codes with smartctl instead of the cf writer software, which required this swap.

Use a usb cf reader to write the games after you pull the code. I get much better results writing that way.

I had tried that with both the transcend and SanDisc cards, I haven't tried it with the Memory Partner cards yet.

@twistedsymphony have you tried my tools ?

Naomi CF Tools

What are you describing sounds like the protection is failing.

If you have non USB based CF-Card reader use the program: ataid to get the sector.

Then create the card using: gcfi

I haven't, I'll give those a shot this weekend! thanks.
On the page I linked to @lowlight has written a pretty comprehensive guide.

I have tested a lot of CF card brands and as long is it was genuine I had no issues. The size must be less than 1GiB.

Chihiro:

Sandisk 512MB - no issues ( using any CF adapter on GD Rom Cable )
Verbatim 2gb - Would only work using Internal Monoprice CF Adapter on IDE Connector )
Centon 2Gb - Worked with Internal Monoprice CF Adapter & Hand Build Summit Arcade CF GD-Rom Adapter ( Would fail using Walsdog , all 5 of them i have ) ...

some adapters have a regulator on them and a jumper to set vcc at 5v or 3.3v - that may be part of the compatability problem.

Chihiro:

ATP 2GB industrial Grade & Temp ( Part # AF2GCFI-OEM-BC1 ) Had Zero issues with 8 of 9 cards... using external CF/GD-Rom Adapter ( w 3.3v reg ) Both Summit and Walsdog Units.

Card # 9 would fail at 100% (OR2SP 512MB) , but worked fine with HOTD3 ( 1gb) and GS ( 512MB ) after formatting from Command prompt ( long format, not quick )

some adapters have a regulator on them and a jumper to set vcc at 5v or 3.3v - that may be part of the compatability problem.
The Waslsdog/Summit adapter does not ( at least not the 5 i have )

Hi all,

Sorry to zombie the thread, but i've been trying to get CF cards working most of the weekend without much success!

I have a naomi CF box from barcia modder, and the CF card he made for me (which works) and 4 other CF cards I had laying around, 2 x 256 cisco, 1 x 1gb cisco, 1 x 512 sandisk.
I'm using a 256mb netdimm flashed with 4.02 firmware and an ABC.BIN CF zerokey chip.
All cards are FAT formatted prior to use in disk managment in windows.

I have a windows XP box with onboard IDE and a windows 10 box with a PCIe IDE card as mentioned in another post and a startech CF adapter.

I have tried both noamicf tools and gcfi, I am able to read the ID from all the cards fine with NCF tool and ataid, and I can write a game with gcfi in win 10 with the IDE card and with a USB to CF adapter to all the cards I have, this gives me no errors at all when writing them, the only time I see an error is if I use NCF tools on the XP box via IDE to CF and it gives the "could not write security patch error", but it works without error on XP with the USB to CF adapter.
All cards end up with GAME.BIN and ABC.BIN on them.

The 2 x 256mb, and 1 x 1gb cisco cards boot into an error 21 and go no further, and the 512mb sandisk card boots and goes through the checking memory, loading, checking memory on a loop about 3 times before giving error 26.

I think all the cards may be incompatible, as I don't think I am doing anything wrong (happy to be corrected though) but is this the behaviour of a non working card?

With the price of smaller cards seemingly going throught the roof at the moment, I am loathed to buy more card if they wil not work!

Judging by the thread I arguably have the most compatible cards already, but im happy to try another brand, or if there are any UK users doing this at the moment, i'd be happy to send you these card to test them.

Any help appreciated as always,

Thanks,

Rave.

Last edited:
I have a naomi CF box from barcia modder, and the CF card he made for me (which works) and 4 other CF cards I had laying around, 2 x 256 cisco, 1 x 1gb cisco, 1 x 512 sandisk.I'm using a 256mb netdimm flashed with 4.02 firmware and an ABC.BIN CF zerokey chip.
All cards are FAT formatted prior to use in disk managment in windows.

I have tried both noamicf tools and gcfi, I am able to read the ID from all the cards fine with NCF tool and ataid, and I can write a game with gcfi in win 10 with the IDE card and with a USB to CF adapter to all the cards I have, this gives me no errors at all when writing them, the only time I see an error is if I use NCF tools on the XP box via IDE to CF and it gives the "could not write security patch error", but it works without error on XP with the USB to CF adapter.
All cards end up with GAME.BIN and ABC.BIN on them.

The 2 x 256mb, and 1 x 1gb cisco cards boot into an error 21 and go no further, and the 512mb sandisk card boots and goes through the checking memory, loading, checking memory on a loop about 3 times before giving error 26.
The 3 times memory check and loop is because the security sector is wrong.

The Cisco cards might be incompatible.

Error 26 usually means BAD keychip. The other cards as RTW said are most probably not compatible.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I think its safe to say the keychip is ok, as the CF card i got with it has ABC.BIN - GAME.BIN and boots fine.

So its looking likely its the cards which is not surprising, i'll get some different ones and test, at least i know im not doing anything wrong or going crazy now!

Thank you. :)

Nothing wrong with your keychip.
Just check that you used the correct sector when writing to the CF.

Hi all,

It's been a while, and a lot of testing!

Well i think i have officially given up with CF boot, other than the card Barcia provided with the adapter, nothing has worked, and i've got my way through at least 15 different brands and sizes of CF card now, and none of them have worked, and i've tried with win 10, 7, xp, server 2016 with IDE CF and USB, i just cant get them to boot no matter what i do, and at no point do i ever get an error in either piece of writing software.

So i think it's time to throw in the towel, unless there are some UK based people that would mind having a go with all the cards i have.

However, i did want to say thanks to everyone for all the help you've provided so far.

Back