GDEmu - Testing a theory re heat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDEmu - Testing a theory re heat

I have a theory regarding GDEmu and overheating issues.

I think people are mistakenly putting the cause down to the 12V rail no longer being utilised. A stock Dreamcast console with stock GDrom drive doesn't overheat if you leave it turned on, no disc in drive, idling on the main bios screen for example. It also doesn't overheat if you remove the GDrom drive, leave it empty, turn it on and let it sit there for hours. It only overheats with the GDEmu device connected. Also, the GDrom drive utilises 3.3V, I believe it only utilises 12V for the motor, which is seldom in use.

I also believe that the clone GDEmus don't cause this issue, at least mine nor no-one else I know with a clone has this issue. Everyone that I know with a genuine GDemu suffers the overheating issue.

Give me some more data to work with. Do you own a genuine or clone GDEmu device? Does your consoles run hotter than normal? What steps did you take to resolve it?
    • Genuine GDEMU, definitely got hot, putting the resistor you recommended in conjunction with the 3D Printed Tray fixed the problem... no more electrical smell or heat!
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• Darksoft wrote:

which resistor? Where exactly?

A 300ohm resistor to add load to the 12V rail to mimic the draw from the GD-ROM drive - another option is removing the 12V regulator, but this seems to not work for some people and they still get heat issues.

The 3D printed housing for the GDEMU would definitely help too. By removing the drive you're affecting the airflow so adding in a shell the same shape as the original drive should restore a lot of that
    • Darksoft wrote:

which resistor? Where exactly?
      I followed the steps is this guide and video, but instead of using the 3 resistors twisted together, I used a single 330ohm / 1 watt resistor.

retrogamesultra.com/2019/02/17…u-installation-and-setup/

Definitely made a huge difference.
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile