What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
So I am working on the Impress and on pick-up it had great audio over normal JAMMA.

Through the Q-sound amp however it would thud and hum and you couldn't hear the audio. So I recapped it.

Now the sound is absolutely great on the left speaker. And the right speaker sounds really decent but it's half of the volume of the left one at all times.

I've tried swapping L/R lines, and it's still the right speaker at half volume. Normally I'd guess that means the speaker is to blame, but in mono it's equally loud to the left one, so that rules that out.

And this same CPS2 works just fine in other Q-sound cabinets.

Any ideas?

Is the amp getting sufficient power?

doesn’t the right speaker shielding get used as an Earth for the amp? i do recall having problems with my Impress and humming when powered by the Impress power supply.

I got over my problem by buying a dedicated Qsound amp power supply,, I think it’s 17 volts on the output.

not exactly the same fault but I do recall the amp being very picky on the impress especially with CPS2 boards.

Huh. I'll see if I can power it separately somehow.

It was humming awful when no PCB was attached, and thudded constantly when there was.

Recap solved both of those problems. But introduced this new one.

Never had an Impress before, so all its idiosyncrasies are new to me.

I have the same problem in one of my blast city cabs. Right speaker works, left speaker does not. How should I go about testing the amp? It's inside the PSU as far as I remember.

I have the same problem in one of my blast city cabs. Right speaker works, left speaker does not. How should I go about testing the amp? It's inside the PSU as far as I remember.
It could just be a contact issue. Pull out the PSU, clean the block connector at the front (IPA and a toothbrush), reinsert it a few times to break down the oxidation, and try again.

Ah yeah, I forgot to come back here and post an update to this, I ended up not being a dummy and trying out the PSU from my other blast cab that was working and the speakers still have the same issue. The PSU out of this one works in the other blast that has working speakers, so it's either got to be the speaker itself or the wiring on the way to the speaker. I swaped L/R RCA on a CPS2 board and the right speaker still has sound, the left one doesn't make a peep. The replacement speaker boxes I have already have really bad foam rot, so I switched focus to trying to find a replacement for those.

So I am working on the Impress and on pick-up it had great audio over normal JAMMA.

Through the Q-sound amp however it would thud and hum and you couldn't hear the audio. So I recapped it.

Now the sound is absolutely great on the left speaker. And the right speaker sounds really decent but it's half of the volume of the left one at all times.

I've tried swapping L/R lines, and it's still the right speaker at half volume. Normally I'd guess that means the speaker is to blame, but in mono it's equally loud to the left one, so that rules that out.

Any ideas?
I could swear I've run into this before. Did you find the solution to your problem?

Any ideas?
I could swear I've run into this before. Did you find the solution to your problem?
Nope. It's still way louder on the one side.

Finally got around to powering it separately per earlier suggestions and no change.

My issue turned out to be possibly related to the 001 loom I was using. There may have been a short in the audio somewhere, plugging in a mono only loom, both speakers worked fine. Also, somehow, the plastic on one of the pins of the 001 loom began melting while testing last night so SOMETHING wasn't right with it...

Back