What's new
Mask ROMs don’t usually go bad. I would check the legs and sockets and see if any look corroded. Or just try reseating them?

Mask ROMs go bad all the time. I regularly replace them on Capcom games. Konami beat em ups regularly have mask ROM failures too.

I've replaced several CPS2 mask roms as well.

If this pcb was bought already dead it may have incorrect jumpers so worth verifying that as well.

I replaced a dead mask ROM in an MvSF last night :D

Reset at Capcom logo during attract, ROM at position 9 (which was unusually a mask ROM not an EPROM) was bad.

Yeah I've got a few sets of program roms that were mask roms instead of eproms that I have pulled over the years.

Aren’t they always mask roms? Other than the audio and program roms I thought they were always mask roms? I have a few sets I’ve pulled as well. I guess yes it is possible for mask roms to go bad, but i just haven’t run into it much at all. Usually it’s corrosion around the legs or sockets for me. If the roms are reading correctly with your burner then I would say they are fine, and it’s a problem with the board/sockets.

Program ROMs aren't usually mask ROMs (because game code gets updated) - but as Mitsu said, it can happen.

Position 3-10 on CPS2 is main program.

Checked the CRC of the mask roms, same CRC as the mame roms.
Replaced the eproms and maskroms with another game that uses the same jumpers and pal, same behavior, messed sprites.
Socket 19 and 20 have corrosion on some legs, I probably have to replace them.

Back