What's new

Jangelj

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to owning an arcade machine. I just got a Golden Tee 2k. I have been reading quite a bit, and will continue to, but thought I’d post here for some guidance.
When I power it up, the monitor turns on but only displays a black and white pattern. There is no sound at all from the speakers. The board has yellow light flashing and green light has a quick flash every 3 seconds. Every time the green light flashes, there is a slight hiccup in the buzzy sound coming from the back of the monitor.

First thing I plan on doing is check power supply, once I get my voltmeter back tomorrow. Any other thoughts? I’ll attach a pic of the monitor
Thanks for any help,
John

Attachments

• 3CC9776A-D0B5-4882-97F1-64E12EADE0BA.jpeg
    3CC9776A-D0B5-4882-97F1-64E12EADE0BA.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 196
I borrowed a multimeter and checked the voltage at the Janna connector. It was reading high, 5.46v. I turned it down to 5.1 and 12.2, but the symptoms are the same. Flashing yellow and mostly solid green.
Should green be flashing like the yellow?

5.46 is enough to kill most PCBs.

Hopefully someone can chime in with what the lights *should* be doing.

Thanks. I’ll see how much a PCB is.
Would a fried PCB cause the monitor to look like that?

I pulled out my golden tee 2k to check for you.

4.98v is plenty to run it. Yellow sound status led and green video status led should both be constantly be flashing and it will boot right away.

I bought this board broken and had to do some reflow on the cpu and ram chips on the top right of the board as well as it having several cut traces on the bottom of the board.

Because the pins for the processor are very fine pitch, I dont recommend trying to reflow them or any parts athe the beginning at all and rule these steps out until very last.

First, (easiest)

Look at the bottom of the board for any scratch marks or dull colored, corroded places as well as look over the top board around the processor or other components for bent legs or parts broken free/off the board and post the pictures here.

Many people like myself who do repairs a lot can spot good and bad traces or components so its good to get a second opinion. Even if you think it looks ok, just post a pic here.

If you dont find any scratches anywhere or bent pins on the top board, try the following.

Next (for your own good)
Take a top down picture of the board using your phone for reference incase you forget where a chip went (there are several empty sockets on GT2K so you "may" accidentally put it in the wrong spot.

After that.
remove each eprom and socketed security chip ONE AT A TIME ONLY. Clean the legs on the chips with some very fine grit sandpaper or a fiberglass brush and re insert them. Pay special attention to the direction of the chip so you dont put it in backwards and destroy the board.

Also make sure all the pins slide nicely into the socket. If you get bent pins you will have another problem.

Due to the number of chips, it wilk take some time to remove and clean them all, be patient and take your time.

Try to power it up again when done and see how it goes, then give us an update.

Thanks a lot. I took a picture of the PCB and realized that further back in the machine where it is hard to see, there is a DEFINITE problem. I’ll attach a pic.

I’m assuming the board is shot?

Attachments

• AFEC3403-AB69-4891-88B9-CA977E431AF5.jpeg
    AFEC3403-AB69-4891-88B9-CA977E431AF5.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 220
  • C19BF1CE-5F30-4871-B960-3E1B4498AA0E.jpeg
    C19BF1CE-5F30-4871-B960-3E1B4498AA0E.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 248
That is a definite issue there.

Im at work now but it looks like a capacitor that was originally attached above the sound status led and burned off

I dont know why there are burn marks under it now unless it is bridging a couple of vias.

Can you pull off that burned capacitor (the square chip with the burn marks around it)
Try to pull it off the board and clean the area under it with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to see the damage better.

It may not be completely lost but needs to be examined a bit more.

Show some pics afterwards

Is that what it is, a capacitor? Thanks. I thought the tiny ones were resistors. I’ll try to clean it up for a better look, but the scorched are seems significantly deep.

I’ll post back tomorrow with a pic

The chip shorts out and cooks the board. Common fault with them.

I'd not waste any more time and strip / keep that for parts and find a new one.
There's going to be more damage than it's worth.

EDIT:
YOU MAY BLOW UP YOUR PSU RUNNING THIS SHORTED BOARD.

Attachments

• IMAG1791[1].jpg
    IMAG1791[1].jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

EDIT:
Wow!

I never knew this was an issue with these boards. Is it a manufacturers defect then that causes this or power overload?
If so then essentially all GT2K boards are like ticking bombs then.

Seems quite unsafe to run in a cab especially one that is wood if its catching fire.

EDIT:
Wow!
I never knew this was an issue with these boards. Is it a manufacturers defect then that causes this or power overload?
If so then essentially all GT2K boards are like ticking bombs then.

Seems quite unsafe to run in a cab especially one that is wood if its catching fire.
Ouch. Is there any way to prevent this sort of ticking time bomb?

I don't know the exact reasons why it dies, but happens very often.
Chip is from 1996 so getting old now and this will happen more.

It's not just 2K also, it's 99, golden tee supreme and others on the same hardware.

This problem tends to happen more on the single layer newer boards.
With that said don't see as many of the multi - part board (GT 97, SFTM, time killers etc) so the odds are stacked anyway.

At the end of the day, it's a £10 golden tee board so don't worry too much.
Just remember if your sound stops and there's a nasty smell, turn off immediately ;)

Im still curious as to what may be the cause of the problem and even after this damage if it can be repaired or some kind of warning signs before it burns out. Definitely worth looking into.

If you decide to toss it out, let me know and maybe I can arrange shipping just to take a closer look at it.

Back