What's new
It looks like the type 3 board has 2 sets of mounting holes on the right hand side. The narrower hole spacing looks like it's probably a match for Type 1/1.5. Can you add those extra holes to your design?
Ah ok, yeah, its the revised typ 1 IO. Yup, Ill add the extra holes on the type 3. Il see If I can get my hands on a revised type 1 to get accurate measurements.

Ah ok, yeah, its the revised typ 1 IO. Yup, Ill add the extra holes on the type 3. Il see If I can get my hands on a revised type 1 to get accurate measurements.
Sweet. I think I'm going to be doing a PCB order for some other projects next week, so I'll have them make a couple of these too and I can send you one if you want to do some testing. I don't actually have a Vewlix yet so it would be nice to have someone check that my control mapping is actually correct.

Last edited:
Sweet. I think I'm going to be doing a PCB order for some other projects next week, so I'll have them make a couple of these too and I can send you one if you want to do some testing. I don't actually have a Vewlix yet so it would be nice to have someone check that my control mapping is actually correct.
Can definitely test it out, check fitment, etc and report back what I find :thumbsup:

Also, looking at pinout for the sega IO and what @Niko was referring to with the coin meters, I took this off Andy's site, not sure if you are aware of this, most likely you are:

For coin functionality to work, you must either hook coin meters or fool it to thinking coin meters are present.

Also many games require coin meters to load such as Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 4, Naomi games like Lupin etc.

coinmeter.jpg

The vewlix comes with 1 coin slot/meter, the taito jvs io 60 pin connector has meters listed as follows"

Pin 47 (Coin Meter 1)Pin 48 (Coin Meter 2)I have to check how the coin meter in the cab is actually wired to the harness. Not sure if its even a concern or needed. I guess if you be easy enough to add 100 Ohm resistors with some jumper pins to enable/disable them on pins 49/50.

Can definitely test it out, check fitment, etc and report back what I find :thumbsup:

Also, looking at pinout for the sega IO and what @Niko was referring to with the coin meters, I took this off Andy's site, not sure if you are aware of this, most likely you are:

For coin functionality to work, you must either hook coin meters or fool it to thinking coin meters are present.

Also many games require coin meters to load such as Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 4, Naomi games like Lupin etc.

The vewlix comes with 1 coin slot/meter, the taito jvs io 60 pin connector has meters listed as follows"

Pin 47 (Coin Meter 1)Pin 48 (Coin Meter 2)I have to check how the coin meter in the cab is actually wired to the harness. Not sure if its even a concern or needed. I guess if you be easy enough to add 100 Ohm resistors with some jumper pins to enable/disable them on pins 49/50.
Yeah, @Niko and I discussed this via PM. I was thinking of doing exactly that, adding the 100ohm resistors to the board and having jumpers that can be switched depending on your needs. I assume that Sega IO boards expect a 100ohm load in parallel with the coin mech in order to determine if the coin mech has been disconnected "hotwired" to add coins so to speak.

Yeah, @Niko and I discussed this via PM. I was thinking of doing exactly that, adding the 100ohm resistors to the board and having jumpers that can be switched depending on your needs. I assume that Sega IO boards expect a 100ohm load in parallel with the coin mech in order to determine if the coin mech has been disconnected "hotwired" to add coins so to speak.
Ok cool, so no need to discuss it further :thumbsup:

Worked on the design a bit more today. Dimensions have changed a bit so this adapter should be able to mount directly to the Taito IO plate. @Derick2k's adapter plate will be able to be made smaller since it now only needs to adapt the SEGA IO to fit the Vewlix IO plate. I added a switch for the 100ohm coin validation resistors also. Prototype PCBs are being manufactured now. Hopefully I have some updates early next week.

XJDXagj.jpg

This will be a must have for Vewlix owners
I like this project, I support this project, but let's be realistic...
MUST HAVE?

I've got three Vewlix cabs and I don't even need a single one of these.
What would I do with it?

This only benefits someone who doesn't have/or doesn't want the Taito JVS IO, that's basically it.
So next logical question is... Ok so why don't they want to use the Taito JVS IO?

I've only got two answers to that:
  1. You won't have to use the patched version of Capcom vs SNK 2 on Naomi (but a patched version now exists so is this really a big deal).
  2. You can save some loot because Sega IO is less than Taito JVS IO.
Given this, I'd say no it is not a must have, infact its target audience is just the two groups of people that I've outlined above (don't want to pay, don't want to patch).

Last edited by a moderator:
How about other systems.

I don't think you can play any sega system( ringedge, ringwide) on vewlix so with this I'd believe it would be possible?

@Derick2k do you have a ringedge or ringwide you could test with the Taito JVS IO?
I'd be interested to know, it seems like Taito's support was hit and miss... But being newer I guess I just assumed it would work.

Looking at the games on ringedge tho... Do you really think anything in the lineup would translate well to Vewlix format/cab?
ringwide has Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code and Tetris The Grand Master 4: The Masters of Round, that would be nice on VLX.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Derick2k do you have a ringedge or ringwide you could test with the Taito JVS IO?
I'd be interested to know, it seems like Taito's support was hit and miss... But being newer I guess I just assumed it would work.

Looking at the games on ringedge tho... Do you really think anything in the lineup would translate well to Vewlix format/cab?
ringwide has Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code and Tetris The Grand Master 4: The Masters of Round, that would be nice on VLX.
Ringedge 2 has quite a few games that would work nicely on a Vewlix, notably a couple of the Guilty Gear games.

also dengeki bunko games, under night in birth,blade arcus, dead or alive, caladrius,initial d,fist off the north star and more

I think this adapter is definitely worth it to have. The Sega io Type 3 can be had so cheap, I manage to get 4 of them for $60 shipped. Also, that same io seems to be compatible with just about everything jvs, at least anything you would run on a vewlix. I’m sure the taito io will work with segas ring systems, but it has always been recommended to use Sega iOS with their games. So yeah, this adapter is nice addition to the vewlixs, it opens up the vewlixs to be even further versatile than they already are.
When I get a chance I will test the ring systems I have, since I have all 3 variants with different games. But yeah, even if the taito io works with them, I will still choose to use the Sega io if I can with the Sega systems.

Last edited:
The Taito I/O does work with the Ring systems, or atleast the "A" variant does.

Also keep in mind, that until just recently. The Taito I/Os where pretty much impossible to get. This time next year, if you want a Taito I/O you might be in the same situation. So having an easy alternative is a "must have".

Plus, just because CvS2 is the only game we've came across that actually cares about the switch inputs reported by the I/O, doesnt mean there arnt other games out there or wont be games in the future.

Simple converter + low cost quality I/O > $250 Taito I/O which doesnt even report the correct number of buttons.

EDIT: The reported switch inputs isn't the only oddity with the Taito I/O. It also doesnt like to respond to I/O identity requests under certain circumstances. I haven't seen this cause a problem in any games, but it has with my tools.

Last edited:
Back