What's new
Progress!

Fixed a couple sketchy solder joints and now we attempt to power on. You can hear it try to give HV to the tube 3-4 times, then shutdown and tick until shut off (not HOT ticking sound). B+ is reading 24v so that's definitely not right. But it's better than 0v.

Fixed a thing.

Now it turns on. Half a screen's width with no source.

With source it's ~75% width and the OSD doesn't seem to have any effect on changing width...

But it's progress.

Last edited:
Hopefully you will figure it out soon.. it is a long shot but I also reached out to the video and audio company where I got my NECs to see if they have the service manual for yours.. I know that at one point they were selling service manuals for different monitors..I will let you know once I hear back..

Hi Rewrite, i have exact the same issue on my PG4 and the electronics are actually the same as the shumps foud xm29 schematics.

Wat solder joints did you fix to get at least some HV juice.

Hi Rewrite, i have exact the same issue on my PG4 and the electronics are actually the same as the shumps foud xm29 schematics.
Funny how many monitors are identical to the xm29 series, just in different cases with different model numbers.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I know it was before the transformers though. Did you already recap at least the power board?

Funny how many monitors are identical to the xm29 series, just in different cases with different model numbers.
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I know it was before the transformers though. Did you already recap at least the power board?
No not yet, good hint, thanks. I will start asap and provide feedback here.

I actually think i will start measuring first. A lot of caps on the psu. I have power on neck board etc. Complete recap for a maybe fix is too much i think.

Yeah, just don't ask me for the supplemental, I've been searching for one for years and I'm empty handed.
I have the supplemental PG-2740 manual. I even sent it to a shmups member who scanned it and sent it back to me almost 2 years ago and was supposed to provide it to Bob from retrorgb and post it on shmups. I registered on this site just to tell you this. I'll try to get the PDF, otherwise maybe it's time for me to scan it myself.

Last edited:
4KBbKeKh.jpg

I registered on this site just to tell you this.
@aaronjmill you're a hero!
Haha! I just hope it will help you get your monitor up and running. I sent the guy another message. Last time I talked to him was 6 months ago and he said he was too busy to finish it. If that's still the case I'll just send the manual off to a non-destructive digitizing service. Looks like I could get it professionally converted, complete with OCR so the PDF would be searchable for about $30. So one way or the other I'll get you the info and make sure the other boards have it too.

@aaronjmill I'd happily chip in half.
Naw, don't sweat it. I just clicked the link in your sig and you're the only person I have come across in all these years that seems willing to dig into an XM29, haha. I have 4 of them, and will likely be looking to have each serviced over time. If this manual helps fill in the gaps to make you better equipped to repair these, we all benefit!

Yeah, just don't ask me for the supplemental, I've been searching for one for years and I'm empty handed.
I have the supplemental PG-2740 manual. I even sent it to a shmups member who scanned it and sent it back to me almost 2 years ago and was supposed to provide it to Bob from retrorgb and post it on shmups. I registered on this site just to tell you this. I'll try to get the PDF, otherwise maybe it's time for me to scan it myself.
Much appreciated and fills in the gaps for many folks with these. You've always been helpful man.

Any chance you guys ever got a copy of this manual? I need one too!

Back