What's new
I believe it was also a GDROM release on Naomi, use that one... The cart ROM binaries can't be opened by that tool, it only works with GD images.
I've never seen nor heard of a GD-ROM release for TOTD... I'm not saying it doesn't exist but if it does then I don't know anything about it.
Lupin The typing and La Keyboard are both GD-ROM only games but AFAIK TOTD was cart only
I've never even heard of La Keyboard, I srsly thought TotD and Lupin were the only typing games they made.

I've never even heard of La Keyboard, I srsly thought TotD and Lupin were the only typing games they made.
It's worth playing once, and then never again. I might be misremembering, but it plays like one of those Japanese trivia type games...just with typing. But yeah, it's very forgettable.

Indeed the impression I get is that it's a trivia game, I've never played it but I'd assume you need a strong grasp of the Japanese language to get anywhere.

it had the same general cab design (Net City Upright) as the other two games.

I don't believe there was ever any other arcade typing games than these three. Supposidly Sega showed off an arcade version of Typing of the Dead 2 (based on House of the Dead 3) at the Toyko Game Show one year but it was never put into production. If I had to guess that game ran on Chihiro as that's what HOTD3 uses.

There is a PC (Japanese Language) release for TOTD2 though.

I created this conversion guide 1-2 years ago that will clarify many of your questions:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/umm5vkq0jjt91v6/converting_CHD_CF_Guide_2.pdf

Basically the 3rd track of a GDROM usually contains a big BIN file, which must be decrypted. This file is identicall to the content of the ROMs of a Naomi cartridge, only that the ROMS have been splitted in several chips and encrypted with a different method. There are 4 types of cartridges protection called M1, M2, M3 and M4. IF you concatenate the files in the proper order and decrypt the cartridge, you'll end up with a proper BIG bin file that can be netloaded or CF-loaded with a ZEROKEY PIC.

If you check mame's driver here:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.c

for example line 5401 for TOTD, you'll see which roms must be loaded in which order. You'll see also in line 5430 that it uses m2 encryption.

You can just take mame source code, modify the code of the naomi driver, so that right after the game is loaded you save a decrypted version in a bin file.

All this information is publicly available thanks to MAMEDEV guys, so......consider giving something back like i.e. donating.

I created this conversion guide 1-2 years ago that will clarify many of your questions:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/umm5vkq0jjt91v6/converting_CHD_CF_Guide_2.pdf

Basically the 3rd track of a GDROM usually contains a big BIN file, which must be decrypted. This file is identicall to the content of the ROMs of a Naomi cartridge, only that the ROMS have been splitted in several chips and encrypted with a different method. There are 4 types of cartridges protection called M1, M2, M3 and M4. IF you concatenate the files in the proper order and decrypt the cartridge, you'll end up with a proper BIG bin file that can be netloaded or CF-loaded with a ZEROKEY PIC.

If you check mame's driver here:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.c

for example line 5401 for TOTD, you'll see which roms must be loaded in which order. You'll see also in line 5430 that it uses m2 encryption.

You can just take mame source code, modify the code of the naomi driver, so that right after the game is loaded you save a decrypted version in a bin file.

All this information is publicly available thanks to MAMEDEV guys, so......consider giving something back like i.e. donating.
We already have the net bootable big bin file. What we're trying to do is extract the game files out of the big bin, so that we can change some of them and then recompile the big bin.

Last edited:
You should be able to decrypt the naomi binary of "the typing of the death" using the same tool.
"Tools / Decrypt a naomi binary" is supposed to do the job.
I tried to decrypt the netboot version with DES 0000000000000000 with no success.
maybe you'll get more luck...
I don't think the decrypt tool does what you think it does. I was able to use it on a known working encrypted bin file from a GD-ROM game and all it does is create a decrypted .dat file.

Based on Darksoft's comments about the Bin file being the same as the data track on a GD-ROM I renamed my typingofthedead.bin to track05.bin and tried to opening it via the .gdi file for the Dreamcast version of the game but the GDI explorer complained that the file size was wrong... maybe this is a way to get it to open if we can pad the file or modify the .GDI to map to the correct file size.

You should be able to decrypt the naomi binary of "the typing of the death" using the same tool.
I tried to decrypt the netboot version with DES 0000000000000000 with no success.
I don't think the decrypt tool does what you think it does. I was able to use it on a known working encrypted bin file from a GD-ROM game and all it does is create a decrypted .dat file.
Based on Darksoft's comments about the Bin file being the same as the data track on a GD-ROM I renamed my typingofthedead.bin to track05.bin and tried to opening it via the .gdi file for the Dreamcast version of the game but the GDI explorer complained that the file size was wrong... maybe this is a way to get it to open if we can pad the file or modify the .GDI to map to the correct file size.
I'd rather try replacing it as track03.bin. Probably if you copy + paste the typingofthedead.bin in the right place of the track03.bin it will work. My guess is that it has just a header.

That Netboot version from Neo Arcadia which I guess is the one you have, is already decrypted. No need to decrypt with DES 000000000000.

I'd rather try replacing it as track03.bin. Probably if you copy + paste the typingofthedead.bin in the right place of the track03.bin it will work. My guess is that it has just a header.
Ok so here's what I tried. replacing track03 with typingofthedead.bin I get an error saying that the file size must be a multiple of 2352... Padding the end of the file to make it a multiple of 2352 I get:

"Unable to open image: Invalid boot sector: Track 03 does not contain a valid boot sector (IP)"

exploring the original GDI there's an IP.BIN file at the start of Track 03. so I extracted IP.BIN and tried concatenating that with typingofthedead.bin to make a new track03.bin... same error

looking at the hex of typingofthedead.bin it looks as if it has it's own header information which likely isn't compatible wit the header information in the IP.BIN... I'd guess that the NAOMI header would need to be replaced with the header from IP.BIN .

Poking around GD-ROM explorer I found a feature for "IP.BIN viewer" opening the Dreamcast TOTD IP.BIN file it has all kinds of information in terms of region, company name, manufacture date, supported periferials, a license image, and even things such as CRC check information as well as a track list and size for each track. Looking at IP.BIN in hex you can see most of this information laid out at the start; None of this information seems to be in the typingofthedead.bin. it just has the game title a bunch of times and then goes into giberish.

"Unable to open image: Invalid boot sector: Track 03 does not contain a valid boot sector (IP)"
Again my experience is with Dreamcast not Naomi... But back in the day we used bin2boot.exe to generate a valid IP file for the track03 binary. Before selfbooting IP file generation we used boot discs, like Utopia's.

Again my experience is with Dreamcast not Naomi... But back in the day we used bin2boot.exe to generate a valid IP file for the track03 binary. Before selfbooting IP file generation we used boot discs, like Utopia's.
Great idea. I tried running it before I left for work but it refused to run on my 64-bit machine... compatibility mode didn't help either. I might have to unearth some old 32-bit machine tonight to see if I can get anywhere. or see if there's a 64 bit compatible version of the app.

Great idea. I tried running it before I left for work but it refused to run on my 64-bit machine... compatibility mode didn't help either. I might have to unearth some old 32-bit machine tonight to see if I can get anywhere. or see if there's a 64 bit compatible version of the app.
I think that won't work. The file structure is different in both systems. If someone knows a tool that can show/extract/insert files from a Naomi BIN File, it should be VERY easy to replace the text file.

Cheers.

If someone knows a tool that can show/extract/insert files from a Naomi BIN File, it should be VERY easy to replace the text file.
That would be ideal so far we haven't found one. The closest thing anyone has found is the GDI explorer, but that seems to only do GD-ROMs. So another option would be if there was a tool to make Naomi BIN files into GD-ROM images we could then use GDI-explorer.

I actually send an email to the creator of GDI-Explorer back when jassin first posted about it but I haven't yet received a response.

on track 3 of a naomi game it has 3 files. the netboot file, the toc file pointing to binary. ip.bin. gdi explorer has no further use with thje extracted files. you going to have to search in the binary yourself and find the word file section. cakesoft added a few of the features i wanted way back. there is not anything he could add in his app for your issue

on track 3 of a naomi game it has 3 files. the netboot file, the toc file pointing to binary. ip.bin. gdi explorer has no further use with thje extracted files. you going to have to search in the binary yourself and find the word file section. cakesoft added a few of the features i wanted way back. there is not anything he could add in his app for your issue
There are lots of people who have created Net-boot/CF bin files from GD-ROM games... surely there's a way to reverse that process and convert a Net-Boot/CF bin file into a GD-ROM file that could then be opened by GDI-Explorer.

ive created plenty of my own netboot from the real gdroms. this is not the issue here the issue here is reversing the dat file. creating a gdrom or a netboot is immaterial to the issue. gdrom explorer is not the tool we need. we need to map out the data file

there is no sinmularity from the naomi dat file to the dreamcast game. its a whole game loaded at once unlike the dreamcast. there might have a structure we can replace inside the naomi game thou.

no work or hint of a standard structure to the naomi games ive seen so far online. we will have to build a whole new tool.

there is no sinmularity from the naomi dat file to the dreamcast game. its a whole game loaded at once unlike the dreamcast. there might have a structure we can replace inside the naomi game thou.

no work or hint of a standard structure to the naomi games ive seen so far online. we will have to build a whole new tool.
You're correct... I sent an email out to dknute (the author of the Makaron emulator and the GD-EMU drive replacement for Dreamcast) and this is what he had to say:

dknute said:
I'd have to look but NAOMI might not use a file structrure at all.
Some games do that but others just put data blobs one after another
and there's a root directory with addresses for each - and that's it.
Internally it might be using resource names or just ID numbers.

There is no rule to this, every game was done as it suited the dev
team, and while usually the DC version is just a modified copy it's
not always the case. Mostly because the DC uses disc media with
streaming while NAOMI has carts and more memory to keep everything.
That adds a whole new level of difficulty to this, but at least it gives as a new (perhaps more productive) direction to look in.

You're correct... I sent an email out to dknute (the author of the Makaron emulator and the GD-EMU drive replacement for Dreamcast) and this is what he had to say:
dknute said:
I'd have to look but NAOMI might not use a file structrure at all.
Some games do that but others just put data blobs one after another
and there's a root directory with addresses for each - and that's it.
Internally it might be using resource names or just ID numbers.

There is no rule to this, every game was done as it suited the dev
team, and while usually the DC version is just a modified copy it's
not always the case. Mostly because the DC uses disc media with
streaming while NAOMI has carts and more memory to keep everything.
That adds a whole new level of difficulty to this, but at least it gives as a new (perhaps more productive) direction to look in.
When did dknute answered you? Tell him to answer my email whenever he cans :)

Back