What's new
Shortly after that I grabbed the dictionary power up and got most of the way through rhyming phrases until I typed "don't complain" at which point the game froze :-/
I think that happenede for you thinking about complaining :)

Here's an updated test patch which might resolve the crash scenario that twistedsymphony encountered. I just played through the whole game to completion with the new patch and didn't experience any crashes. Before, I was getting what seemed to be pretty consistent crashing at the middle of the Stage 5 boss fight.

https://mega.nz/#!EMgEgSib!0v-R0xZIQjbmPncOsUDoxiVcBUBlDpdxs1csC7q2NfQ

The two hydra encounters are still a bit annoying because you can't see the questions you're being asked. Overall though, I'd say it's much more enjoyable than playing the original Naomi release with romaji.

I'll look into seeing whether the keyboard layout can be changed, but otherwise I'll probably just leave apostrophes in as-is.

I'd also like to see if we can translate the non-gameplay text, especially at the mode selection screen and the end-level stats page.

Last time I looked for that text in the bin file I was looking for UTF-8 but I haven't checked again since you "cracked the code" ;)

so my small dc transpent japenese/english keyboard is different than one of the full size english dc keyboards?

so my small dc transpent japenese/english keyboard is different than one of the full size english dc keyboards?
yup:
this is the Japanese Dreamcast keyboard (model HKT-7600) that is installed on the typing cab:
kbd_small.jpg

*notice the lack of a number pad, this is a "ten-keyless" layout

The small Japanese keyboards have a similar layout just more compact.
Some were Model HKT-7601 (Pink Hello Kitty) and some were HKT-4000 (the rest of them) I believe they're the same layout and design regardless.

AFAIK they came in
-solid-black
-white back, clear front
-clear pink (hello kitty)
-clear blue (hello kitty)
-clear blue (divers 2000)
-clear green
90042898c.jpg

the USA has 3 different keyboard models...

the HKT-7620:
mainimg.jpg

*notice it has a full number pad and a curved top edge

The SK-1502:
dream_acc4.jpg

*notice it has a full number pad and a larger space-bar

both of the above were sold with the "Dreamcast" and with the "Sega Net" logo, the logo means nothing and was mostly dependent on what the keyboard was packed in with.

and the 3rd party Innovation brand keyboard:
(sorry no pic but the layout is the same as the official ones)

There was also a 3rd party adapter to use any PC keyboard.

there's also a PAL region keyboard HKT-7630 that is just like the HKT-7620 but with the UK special character layout:
Dreamcast-Keyboard-Teclado-PAL-Espana-Original.jpg

There's a French HKT-7631, a German HKT-7632 and a Spanish HKT-7633
I believe there are other keyboards for other regions as well. I think there was a Russian one but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Just adding to the voices of people who've tried this and had it work for them. Mine's the UK keyboard, which has the same issue with apostrophes being on shift-7 as the rest.

In regards to changing the dictionaries because of this, I'd say just don't. Just adapt to using shift-7 where needed, which isn't too often at least.

Wish it was possible to hack the ROM to check for an apostrophe key on a different keycode that's given by English keyboards, but I doubt that's possible with a compiled binary.

white back, clear front HKT-4000 is the one i have nice pick up a month ago for 20 shipped. i have two SK-1502 also. so after we get this working english fully we will need a certain version of kb?

Last edited:
white back, clear front HKT-4000 is the one i have nice pick up a month ago for 20 shipped. i have two SK-1502 also. so after we get this working english fully we will need a certain version of kb?
no, any Dreamcast keyboard will work. but the game assumes that your keyboard is laid out like the (Japanese) HKT-7600.

This has the side effect of having to push Shift+7 in order to type a '

I don't think we've found any other difference that effect game-play yet.

Wish it was possible to hack the ROM to check for an apostrophe key on a different keycode that's given by English keyboards, but I doubt that's possible with a compiled binary.
I'm sure it's possible, it's just a matter of finding the right code. I know there are a few TTX games where the only way to change the button layout is to modify the hex.

you can check for the standard key codes here: http://www.cambiaresearch.com/articles/15/javascript-char-codes-key-codes

the site is for "javascript" but I'm pretty sure those same codes are used in most languages, I mean I have codes 9 and 13 burned into my memory because I use them so frequently to capture tab and enter when writing programs.

' is key 222
7 is key 55
shift is key 16

I would think swapping keys would be simple once the location in code is identified, the difficulty would likely be swapping a 16+55 for a 222

I made a very interesting discovery last night.

I was playing the English version of TOTD on the Dreamcast using the Japanese keyboards from the machine and the special characters such as the the apostrophe and the double quote DID NOT map to the location on the Japanese keyboard but instead mapped to where they would be if it were an English keyboard.

this means that the key-map in the game assumes you're using the correct keyboard for the given game region. It also means that somewhere inside the English Dreamcast code is the keymap and we might be able to swap that out the same way we're swapping out the word files.

So far the special characters I've seen used: ' - ? ! " %
I think there might be a $ and an & but I didn't run into any playing through the game last night. the apostrophe and double quote are really the only ones in the completely wrong spot

been lurking in this thread for a while but SM and kuze are doing good work here! Keep it up!

So I found something interesting... I was attempting to burn some new NAOMI bios roms and I was looking for an extra EPROM chip that I had found inside my TOTD cab and tucked away in a box somewhere... except when I found the chip I noticed that it looked a little different.

it's an M27C322, which is NOT the correct chip for a NAOMI BIOS. It had an EPR-32021 label on it... I decided to take the plastic cover off of my TOTD cart and sure enough the hidden side of the cart has a bios chip slot and in my cart there was another MC27C322 but this one was labeled "EPR23021A" with the "23021A" part hand written.

so it would seem that Sega actually released an update for this game at some point. I'm curious what the differences are.

Probably not but it would be really cool if the word file happens to be on this rom because that would mean the English conversion could be applied to the original cart and not limited to CF/Net-Boot setups.

it's an M27C322, which is NOT the correct chip for a NAOMI BIOS. It had an EPR-32021 label on it... I decided to take the plastic cover off of my TOTD cart and sure enough the hidden side of the cart has a bios chip slot and in my cart there was another MC27C322 but this one was labeled "EPR23021A" with the "23021A" part hand written.
IC22 on the cart contains the main program code. There is a jumper there which allows you you select 27C160 or 27C322.

EPR-32021 is not dumped so if you would be so kind to dump it and share it, I will get it added to MAME, of course you will get full credits for this if you so desire.

I was wondering what that jumper did, thanks for the info.

As for the other thing, I'm happy to help with MAME in any way that I can.

Just wondering, has anyone seen if the socketed rom has the data on it making it easy to swap the translation?

I honestly doubting this as its probably on one or more of the non socketed roms on the cart.

Just wondering, has anyone seen if the socketed rom has the data on it making it easy to swap the translation?

I honestly doubting this as its probably on one or more of the non socketed roms on the cart.
to run this you need a net-boot or CF card setup, you're not going to swap the socketed rom and get this running.

Back