What's new
Keymap for game is located in the IC22 file, offset 0xF3D3B within IC22 or the netboot .bin.

Hexes to swap ' and : around are
0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A

Edit: For a full US mapping:
0xF3D3B 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 6A 6B 6C 6D 6E 6F 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 7A 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 30 FF FF FF FF 20 2D 3D 5B 5D 5C FF 3B 27 60 2C 2E 2F 00 FF FF FF 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 4A 4B 4C 4D 4E 4F 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 5A 21 40 23 24 25 5E 26 2A 28 29 FF FF FF FF 20 5F 2B 7B 7D 7C FF 3A 22 7E 3C 3E 3F -> 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 6A 6B 6C 6D 6E 6F 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 7A 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 30 FF FF FF FF 20 2D 5E 40 5B FF 5D 3B 3A FF 2C 2E 2F 00 FF FF FF 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 4A 4B 4C 4D 4E 4F 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 5A 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 10 FF FF FF FF 20 3D 7E 60 7B 31 7D 2B 2A FF 3C 3E 3F

Last edited:
Keymap for game is located in the IC22 file, offset 0xF3D3B within IC22 or the netboot .bin.

0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A
holy shit, this I wish I could like this post 20 times.

Here's a good photo of the TOTD keyboard: http://mc.pp.se/dc/kbd_large.jpg

Here's a quick and dirty table I made of which keys need to be remapped.
keyboard_map.jpg

first column is what you would push on a US keyboard,
second column is what gets output with the TOTD keyboard
third columns is what SHOULD be output to be US keyboard compliant.
forth column is how important that mapping is based on how frequently it's used in gameplay "top" are used often, "high" are used occasionally and "low" are used almost never.

0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A
holy shit, this I wish I could like this post 20 times.
Here's a good photo of the TOTD keyboard: http://mc.pp.se/dc/kbd_large.jpg

keyboard_map.jpg

forth column is how important that mapping is based on how frequently it's used in gameplay "top" are used often, "high" are used occasionally and "low" are used almost never.
I took the keymap above directly from the US version of the Dreamcast so it should be 1:1 to a US Dreamcast keyboard.

As for the dictionary I was able to load the full US files into it and it seems to be stable however questions are still blank so there's likely something with an event script or something somewhere, not entirely sure and will have to dig deeper.

I'll be testing this out on my cab later this week for sure. any chance you can send me the version with the updated dictionaries?

holy smokes <3 it's the thread that caused me to find this forum!! everyone here is a certified badass. I'm still searching for a panel for this game - I might have to build my own..

0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A
holy shit, this I wish I could like this post 20 times.Here's a good photo of the TOTD keyboard: http://mc.pp.se/dc/kbd_large.jpg

keyboard_map.jpg

I took the keymap above directly from the US version of the Dreamcast so it should be 1:1 to a US Dreamcast keyboard.
As for the dictionary I was able to load the full US files into it and it seems to be stable however questions are still blank so there's likely something with an event script or something somewhere, not entirely sure and will have to dig deeper.
Nice, did you try it out on a Naomi already with a US keyboard?

I gave the US mapping you posted a try, but had issues with it in Demul... Might be a problem with the keyboard device emulation or a configuration issue on my end though.

Stage 5 is a good test for getting special characters to appear.

I'm still searching for a panel for this game - I might have to build my own..
So the "panel" for this isn't really a panel, it's a weird piece of painted MDF that sits on top of the normal panel housing. it does bolt to a metal panel which sits in the normal panel location, but it's just bare metal with a couple of holes in it to pass through the keyboard cables.

I've had a few people ask me to take measurements, but it's got a lot of complex curves to it, which makes it difficult.

Another challenging part is the metal brackets that hold down the keyboards.

I have picture of all of this stuff on my KLOV thread: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=345961

I would love to swap to US keyboards but the US keyboards all have number pads which means they're too big for the panel, so I'd have to find some way to adapt PC keyboards to the maple bus and then build custom brackets to hold them down.

Hands down, that's one of the coolest cabs I've ever seen. I love TOTD, and when I used to play it on my DC, I used Saturn/PSX controller adapters with AT or PS/2 inputs on them. That allows me to use my arsenal of clicky keyboards. Shooting zombies with an IBM Model F AT is bliss. I'm not sure if those converters work with Naomi, but if so, it could open up a lot of possibilities.

What are the measurements of the tenkeyless board that fits in the cab? Maybe you could use a modern replacement via a USB-to-PS/2 dongle and a controller converter. Something like a space-saving IBM Model M, or a cheaper yet alternative like a Cherry MX Blue clone. If you want something cheap, these are excellent and have an aluminum shell and metal KB plate inside. With a mechanical board, you'll get tactile feedback and and audible clicks, kind of like having a machine gun in your fingertips. Rat tat tat.

0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A
holy shit, this I wish I could like this post 20 times.Here's a good photo of the TOTD keyboard: http://mc.pp.se/dc/kbd_large.jpg
keyboard_map.jpg

I took the keymap above directly from the US version of the Dreamcast so it should be 1:1 to a US Dreamcast keyboard.As for the dictionary I was able to load the full US files into it and it seems to be stable however questions are still blank so there's likely something with an event script or something somewhere, not entirely sure and will have to dig deeper.
Nice, did you try it out on a Naomi already with a US keyboard?
I gave the US mapping you posted a try, but had issues with it in Demul... Might be a problem with the keyboard device emulation or a configuration issue on my end though.

Yes it worked fine from chapter 2 to the end of 3 when I got blank questions. If I can figure out the chapter 3 boss question problem I'll try making a new xdelta but the file naming between home and arcade don't translate well for things outside of the dictionary.

I'm still searching for a panel for this game - I might have to build my own..
So the "panel" for this isn't really a panel, it's a weird piece of painted MDF that sits on top of the normal panel housing. it does bolt to a metal panel which sits in the normal panel location, but it's just bare metal with a couple of holes in it to pass through the keyboard cables.
I've had a few people ask me to take measurements, but it's got a lot of complex curves to it, which makes it difficult.

Another challenging part is the metal brackets that hold down the keyboards.

I have picture of all of this stuff on my KLOV thread: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=345961

I would love to swap to US keyboards but the US keyboards all have number pads which means they're too big for the panel, so I'd have to find some way to adapt PC keyboards to the maple bus and then build custom brackets to hold them down.
I did direct message you about it about a year ago, but I understand about the measurements completely. Thank you for posting all those images as well!

If I did try to make one, it would have to hold up to random people playing it.. I wouldn't be able to NOT bring it to events!

0xF3D6B 3A -> 27
0xF3D94 27 -> 3A
holy shit, this I wish I could like this post 20 times.Here's a good photo of the TOTD keyboard: http://mc.pp.se/dc/kbd_large.jpgHere's a quick and dirty table I made of which keys need to be remapped.
keyboard_map.jpg

I took the keymap above directly from the US version of the Dreamcast so it should be 1:1 to a US Dreamcast keyboard.As for the dictionary I was able to load the full US files into it and it seems to be stable however questions are still blank so there's likely something with an event script or something somewhere, not entirely sure and will have to dig deeper.
Nice, did you try it out on a Naomi already with a US keyboard?I gave the US mapping you posted a try, but had issues with it in Demul... Might be a problem with the keyboard device emulation or a configuration issue on my end though.

Yes it worked fine from chapter 2 to the end of 3 when I got blank questions. If I can figure out the chapter 3 boss question problem I'll try making a new xdelta but the file naming between home and arcade don't translate well for things outside of the dictionary.
Awesome, sounds good! Yeah even though you get blank questions you can still guess the right answer, but it can get frustrating dying because you chose the wrong one lol.

I'm not going to have time to look at this more for a bit so here's a xdelta with the english dictionaries thrown in without truncation as well as US KB layout
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q3hhOBRw9KKEPiVHQPa4bPhvFGo-B3bH/view?usp=sharing

Apply against untranslated netboot .bin file

Edit: let me know if there's any crashes/weird things because I haven't tested it much at all. None of the previous translation work was used to make it so it could have a lot of bugs I'm not aware of.

I'm not going to have time to look at this more for a bit so here's a xdelta with the english dictionaries thrown in without truncation as well as US KB layout
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q3hhOBRw9KKEPiVHQPa4bPhvFGo-B3bH/view?usp=sharing

Apply against untranslated netboot .bin file

Edit: let me know if there's any crashes/weird things because I haven't tested it much at all. None of the previous translation work was used to make it so it could have a lot of bugs I'm not aware of.
Time to dust off the keyboards and maple adapters!

wow I didn't know there was an English translation in the work. I'll be interested in the development

Early tests are good with the delta above. Most is in english. Some are missing if you play jp key mode but us mode (same one you're probably playing now) leaves the eng option. It rarely happens only for 1 or 2 character things in some places. I've only completed the 1st level but it was good.

It seems the only minor thing is words that aren't words but rather one jpn character are still shown that way. Any actual words are words. It's very playable in this state because it still shows you the couple letters to type in english. I never tried the other patch so I don't know if that was the same there. It's only a problem if you pick the wrong keyboard type.

So far I've played into the 3rd level with no missing words. (edit, boss questions are missing at the end of chapter 3 but the answers are there). Here's a crap cell phone video of the 1st level, proving that typing is exponentially more difficult with a camera pointed at you.

Sammargh, you're a legend. Hopefully the issue with chapter 3 boss can be fixed.

Last edited:
The boss in stage 3 has a trivia question you're supposed to answer but it doesn't work right yet. I tried putting "TEST" in full width just now over all the questions to see if the window expects 2 byte shift-jis but it didn't display it so there's something with how the game handles the font and that box specifically. Trying to translate whatever the event file is to console is annoying but from what I can tell it's the only major bug. The small character windows being in Japanese I'm not entirely positive on and may exist outside of the dictionary files as when you search for what should be the text no results show up once you start filtering it down. Some of the smaller strings flat out don't show up in either ascii or shift-jis.

Back